Young Ones 2014 starring Michael Shannon

spronk

FPS noob

Young Ones (2014) - IMDb

Set in a near future when water has become the most precious and dwindling resource on the planet, one that dictates everything from the macro of political policy to the detailed micro of interpersonal family and romantic relationships. The land has withered into something wretched. The dust has settled on a lonely, barren planet. The hardened survivors of the loss of Earth's precious resources scrape and struggle.

Michael Shannon lives on this harsh frontier with his children, Jerome Kodi Smit-McPhee and Mary Elle Fanning. He defends his farm from bandits, works the supply routes, and hopes to rejuvenate the soil. But Mary's boyfriend, Flem Lever (Nicholas Hoult), has grander designs. He wants Ernest's land for himself, and will go to any length to get it. From writer/director Jake Paltrow comes a futuristic western, told in three chapters, which inventively layers Greek tragedy over an ethereal narrative that's steeped deeply in the values of the American West.

blu ray rips are out, I love Michael Shannon (he played Van Alding in Boardwalk Empire) and post-apocalyptic movies so gonna watch this real soon. He was on Jimmy Fallon a few weeks ago and mentioned this movie and dejectedly said its out but he doesn't expect it to do well
frown.png

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Way more Western than anything else. Descent enough movie.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I watched the first hour of it, and found myself wondering why I should continue. Maybe I didn't get far enough to witness "inventively layers Greek tragedy over an ethereal narrative" but if it is told in three chapters I was easily well into the second one and I couldn't bring myself to watch any more. It struck me as one of those movies that is designed to showcase actors "craft" more than actually entertain anyone. The description might well be more interesting than the movie itself.

If there is a reason to watch the rest of it, please someone tell me.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Well more "Stuff" happens, but I think you hit the nail on the head. Craft > Entertainment. There are a couple moments where it looks like it is going to take a turn for the cool, but they just go back to doing what they were doing.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks, I appreciate the candor. Too often if people don't share the same opinions on this board it turns into a pissing contest (see the Interstellar thread for the latest one), so it is nice to get a reply like that.

And apparently I've already bestowed a Tuconet upon you for the Scribbler suggestion.