Your best raid or mass pvp experience across the genre?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
What do MMOs really bring to interactive entertainment that makes them unique?

No one is going to remember secret world's or swtor's storyline a few years from now, no matter how good they were. That's because games like The Last of Us make them laughable in comparison.

Point being, individual stories, in single player games will always triumph over what you get in an MMO.

MMOs are memorable for their large scale, community experiences - this is what they offer that makes them any different from any other game.

With that said, with 15 years of MMOs behind us, what were your favorite raids or other large scale combat scenarios in the industry?

Personally, I thought the original sunwell plateau was the pinnacle of mmo raiding. This is after doing most raid content in eq, ffxi, eq2 and wow. (I did not do the last few fights in naxx 1.0 tho)

The best pvp experience I had was in early daoc, with the drama and intensity of relic steals and nations backstabbing each other.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
PvP wise 2 things stand out, Shadowbane when it was working and not laggy, and the beggining days of WoW battlegrounds, namely AV. Never played DAOC but heard good things about it.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
PVP - DAOC: Relic raids to get control of Darkness Falls and the ensuing Faceroll of the instance that took place afterwards.

PVE - EQ: War of the Ring was a blast.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Shadowbane at release was some of the most fun I've had in an MMO. But I think I would have hated it if I was on the receiving end rather than the giving.

I played on Carnage and we pretty much just rolled the entire server the first few months until everyone in the guild moved on because there was nothing else to do. The player made politics and rivalries in that game were awesome while it lasted.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
PvP wise 2 things stand out, Shadowbane when it was working and not laggy, and the beggining days of WoW battlegrounds, namely AV.
With one exception my best PvE experiences were in VG or EQ.

PvP early AV and even AB when it was first released. I bash WoW a lot but Vanilla WoW before Blizzard decided they couldn't ever be wrong, was very fun. If Blizzard ever releases a progression server that had old AV I'd play for a couple of months while it was in Vanilla.

The one exception to the PvE experience was also WoW - before Blizzard had leashing working properly - there were a few groups including the one I was in in the overland Troll "dungeon" area in STV and someone fucked up and we or they managed to pull every single Troll. We all had to hotfoot it out there. I wish I had a fraps of 50 trolls chasing my group and the other groups there.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
PvE:

AC: Cant recall the name of the towns anymore but there was one near the subway portals that used to get so packed that the game would port people out 500 yards as a way to maintain operating while at zone capacity. AC always had tons of people everywhere, all the time. The main hub towns would be packed. Truly a big-world feel with busy people about.

WoW - First time we downed Mag and Majordomo was memorable. Also Rag of course.

PvP:

WoW - Tauren Mill was epic PvP. Also 24 hour AV's were great.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
EQ the elemental planes once we finally got everyone flagged were amazing to me

WoW: Clearing UBRS with 5 back when it was a 15 man. Doing "The Immortal achievement"

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tauren mill lol

Best PVP - DCUO's Hero battleground, where you played as preset characters. Easily the most fun I've had in PVP.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
pvp would be relic raids to gain control of darkness falls in DAOC, along with facerolling the instance and clearing out all the other faction members that were left inside on the swap over.

pve would be the first kill of nef and the resulting server overload upon handing in the head of Nef

spronk

FPS noob
killing the Lich King in icecrown citadel was amazing for me, always been a casualfuck MMOer but arthas had been a constant through all my gaming years and I loved all the storylines in wrath and the buildup to fighting him. The other big named wow villains were cool too but all the backstabbing stuff Arthas did over the Warcraft RTS series made him a great enemy.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
First time I seen Ragnaros was very cool. Still remember that feeling of accomplishment when my guild beat Rallos Zek.

Needless

Toe Sucker
PVE: Ulduar, racing FoH on BDF through that content was fun.
PVP: TM vs Southshore & TBC MS warrior 2v2 with a resto shaman.. that shit was just just stupidly broken. Stunherald + WF totem

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Our guild's first Cazic Thule kill which took us 8 hours due to respawns. We spent all night clearing it but we were able to kill him and he dropped two Blood Fires.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ahh, my enhancement shaman, TUF, and pre-nerf windfury. I could kill casters with one proc. Good times.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Killing 4H in vanilla Naxx was probably my favorite PVE boss memory.

I have a ton of mass PVP memories. The most epic one was probably in shadowbane in the third world war of Treachery where the All Father got 600 people to fight our 200 people (These were GM counts, not ours) and lost. One of those wars got us a unique statue provided to our city from the devs.

Destroying the first keep in Age of Conan was great too. I remember being part of the first siege in that game where we helped defend an allies keep at 5am. I remember the 100 or so people we had standing on the wall gazing at the dimly lit forest waiting for the all to appear.

Our first Stonemist capture in GW2's third beta weekend was great too.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
- PvE : I'd say WoW'sLich King 25HMbecause we were on a progress race at the time, and the whole phase process was getting very tiring over the nights. Killing him was a hell of an achievement for the guild and each individual, a relief because some people took vacation and days off and a huge bump in the progress race (the fight was quite long, divided in phases and wipe would happen anytime but especially when you're already 20mins deep in the fight, very frustrating). Lich King 25HM will always be in my mind as the most achieving, frustrating, time consuming fight ever. Also fuck casual gamers who didn't have time to learn the strats, your family will never be more important than our guild, fagget.

- PvP : I'm gonna wayStar Wars Galaxies(haha). Yeah I know, gameplay was pretty bad and the game was bugged to the bone but building our french city on some european server and defending it outnumbered every night was something we were proud of. Also first Jedi's gank squads, when you'd lost your Jedi character forever or lose XP if you got ganked, that was a pretty nice game mechanic at the time. I have nice PvP memories in WoW but the only "mass" things I did were Tarren Mill and Silithis, which were swamped latency clusterfucks, so nothing serious. Oh well, 10v10 warsong gulch isn't massive, right ? Because I still have a lot of memories of guilds warfare when they implemented battlegrounds.