Your games of the year!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I honestly have no idea what I'd consider my GOTY this year. I haven't played Witcher 3 yet though, so that's something. I've spent way too much time replaying old shit. Path of Exile, Diablo 3, Divinity Original Sin EE, FFXIV. So as such I haven't played all that much new stuff. I played Bloodborne and it was good but I wouldn't put it as a GOTY, tbh I felt it was about Dark Souls 2 level for me, didn't do the Dark Souls 1 or Demon Souls thing, it was alright, some of the changes to combat and stuff were nice, but it didn't feel that inovative or different from the original formula and in some ways I liked it less than just another Dark Souls.

In fact looking at the list of games released this year, I see a lot of shit that could be GOTY, but I haven't played any of it, I'm so far behind at this point it feels like a waste to buy games when they release instead of just waiting for sales. I'm also holding off for DLC in some cases, like with Pillars of Eternity, so I haven't bothered starting/buying them.

Special mention to Senran Kagura 2 though, sure it's ninja schoolgirls losing their clothes as they fight kind of stuff, but the combat is surprisingly good and there's a large amount of replayability with the insanely large cast. Just wish it wasn't on 3DS, fucking small screen and shitty buttons.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
1. Witcher 3
2. Pillars
3. Fallout 4

Honorable Mention: Vermintide.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Fallout 4 and Witcher are an interesting comparison.

W3 had the much better roleplaying experience and story. However, the combat system felt super sloppy and I absolutely hated all the fights. I wish I could have just watched a movie or read a book about it.

Fallout 4 on the other hand I really enjoyed the combat and running around the world, but the overall story arc I just wasn't interested in.

My game of the year is the Path of Exile expansion: The Awakening.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Witcher 3, no contest.
Agreed. Witcher 3 is my game of the year, by a long shot. Well over a 100 hour put into it and it never stopped amazing me with how detailed the game is. Ori and the Blind Forest is my probably my second favorite game this year. It was beautiful and challenging.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
No love for Starcraft? The campaign gameplay really grabs me much like Red Alert did way back when RTS had competition other than blizzards.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
FO4
SC2: LotV (may be #1 pending when I get more time to really dig into multi player)
Heroes of the Storm

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
No love for Starcraft? The campaign gameplay really grabs me much like Red Alert did way back when RTS had competition other than blizzards.
It's good and hits all the right notes, but the story is still on the level of WH40k fanfiction, not to mention that mechanically I have been playing that game for the past 5 years. Multiplayer seems to be improved a lot, but not enough to make me play it as religiously as WoL. Witcher 3 could have control scheme of Gothic and I would still consider it GOTY.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Do content patches count? D3 2.2 and 2.3 have been pretty damn good and 2.4 looks even better and due out before end of year.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Do content patches count? D3 2.2 and 2.3 have been pretty damn good and 2.4 looks even better and due out before end of year.
I was considering that and I think we'd need at least a full xpac to count. By that logic DOTA2 patches which rebalance to breathe life into the game would also count.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I say screw the arbitrary definitions, just say what you had the most fun playing this year.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Rocket League for me. Most of the other contenders I haven't had the time to really dig into.

I'll have to try it. I never got through the original story in SC2 in part because it feels claustrophobic after so much time with games like Supreme Commander, if that makes any sense.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dragon Age: Inquisition , Since its the only new game I can remember playing. I aint counting Fallout 4 yet because I got to the first power armor and quit.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FO4 hands down. No game has sucked me in this much since EQ1. Story could be better, but damn what a sandbox.

Honorable mention would probably go to Wasteland 2: Directors Cut, which I could not stop playing..... until FO4 arrived.

I know Witcher 3 is a great game, but I just could not get into it, mostly due to the mashy clunky combat. Maybe when I finish my second playthrough of FO4 I will give it another shot.