Your Own Photography

Drek_sl

shitlord
Thank you!

I've been shooting a lot lately. I made a point to go out as often as possible and post on my Facebook page several times a week (soon a website shall come)

Here are a few more:

9020278387_1ec160ee02_b.jpg

9012033135_0b084082ef_b.jpg

9011946507_fd2d93ccfa_b.jpg

9013092518_f44da350b7_b.jpg

9013096372_8e547c8a16_b.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that hyping up the "super" moon is retarded, but that second picture is very nice. Did you think about cropping it so the moon fills the whole picture?

Madaxe_sl

shitlord
Thank you!

I've been shooting a lot lately. I made a point to go out as often as possible and post on my Facebook page several times a week (soon a website shall come)
It's a pleasure viewing your photos Drek. This whole thread motivates me to shoot more!

Here's another random landscape shot of the Mississippi:

rrr_img_32839.jpg

Liszt_sl

shitlord
Tone down the contrast/blacks a bit
Hey Drek, I agree. The jpg version has much darker blacks than the digital negative version. Is that just part of the jpg compression kicking in?

Should I just boost the blacks/shadows to compensate for the effect?

The digital negative doesn't lose the detail of the tree-covered mountain to the left, which is completely gone in the jpg.

Thanks for the feedback!

Drek_sl

shitlord
Hey Drek, I agree. The jpg version has much darker blacks than the digital negative version. Is that just part of the jpg compression kicking in?

Should I just boost the blacks/shadows to compensate for the effect?

The digital negative doesn't lose the detail of the tree-covered mountain to the left, which is completely gone in the jpg.

Thanks for the feedback!
It could be, it could also be from uploading. I know that when I post shots on my Facebook page, it destroys the quality. I would try to bring the blacks and contrasts down (make them less pronounced) and reupload and see. It could also be your monitor calibration. I know a few pages ago my black and whites were very gray, someone brought it up to me and I made the necessary adjustments. I was going a little crazy on the Recovery feature in Lightroom while keeping the brightness and exposure low.

A lot of it is practice, I'm still learning. Lately I have been doing a lot of black and white stuff again, this time I am getting much better feedback.

Practice, practice, practice. Be open to criticism, as long as that's what it is.

9151402914_c770afeb63_b.jpg

P8P_sl

shitlord
black and white?

a lot of my pictures might be good with a black and white filter, but i took this one that way...maybe not the best choice...but it looked good when i saw the opprotunity

FXOaWOF.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
It could be, it could also be from uploading. I know that when I post shots on my Facebook page, it destroys the quality. I would try to bring the blacks and contrasts down (make them less pronounced) and reupload and see.It could also be your monitor calibration. I know a few pages ago my black and whites were very gray, someone brought it up to me and I made the necessary adjustments. I was going a little crazy on the Recovery feature in Lightroom while keeping the brightness and exposure low.
I always take commentary on my photos on the internet with a grain of salt due to the monitor calibration issue. You just never know how someone else has their monitors calibrated. I have a dual monitor setup with one specifically calibrated for photo-editing. My photos look terrible on my main monitor which is calibrated more for gaming (which is how I am guessing a lot of people on these forums have them set up if they have calibrated them at all). Things like composition can be critiqued, but when it comes to contrast/color saturation, you just don't know if someone elses setup is accurate.

Also, when I post to Facebook I make sure to to any size/resolution reductions in Lightroom before posting. Facebook still messes them up, but it helps. If you are overly concerned, post them to another website then link that to Facebook.

Subotai

Thief, Archer
A couple from the July 4th Tucson Padres game.

Here is Gregorio Petit and his son before the game:

2nauwhu.jpg

...and a firework. Damn tough to shoot since they didnt allow tripods in the stadium:

mwd5op.jpg

Neph_sl

shitlord
Great shot of the firework. I had a great view for the fireworks, but the wind was blowing towards me, so the smoke made the majority of my shots hazy. Probably not something that's easily accounted for, but something to think about for next time.

rrr_img_35007.jpg

rrr_img_35008.jpg