Youtube Games

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The thing Twitch has going for it is that they help and support their streamers/content creators while YouTube ignores them and bludgeons them with bad copyright software. I think twitch just switched over to, or is in the process of switching to html5 streaming. So they're working on improving their platform, presumably with the help of some amazon resources. So it'll come down to whichever happens faster: YouTube developing customer service and a better approach to copyright or twitch solidifying their platform. I just don't see YouTube learning to give a fuck about the people who use their platform, but I could be wrong.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Does twitch get any shit over copyright? I don't know. I only watch one stream and he doesn't do music just gameplay.

sukik

Does twitch get any shit over copyright? I don't know. I only watch one stream and he doesn't do music just gameplay.
The vods are muted if copyrighted content is detected bit they dont do anything to the livestream.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
When Amazon bought Twitch they had to do something about copyright. Current policy is that live broadcasts are not muted. But they have software which mutes VODs.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm just fucking salty that you can't switch the video quality in mobile and even on a desktop there is no "source" quality option. What the fuck is up with that?

HUH_sl

shitlord
You either.

1) Don't give a shit about monetizing.
2) Are a huge channel or are apart of a network that has direct lines of communication to Youtube staff and can bypass all the copyright bullshit.

Nobody else will pick Youtube over Twitch as it stands right now. But hopefully it will motivate Twitch into fixing some of their broken ass shit.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm just fucking salty that you can't switch the video quality in mobile and even on a desktop there is no "source" quality option. What the fuck is up with that?
There is a source option on many twitch streams in HTML5 desktop browser, many hide it behind subscriber (pay $5/month) paywall though.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
There is a source option on many twitch streams in HTML5 desktop browser, many hide it behind subscriber (pay $5/month) paywall though.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Youtube gaming app doesn't have those options. Twitch already does so I can't see why Youtube would come out of the gate without them. Bad business move in our HD world. It is 2015. I expect HD on everything, even mobile. Get the fuck out of here with your SD shit.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The one twitch stream I watch in his header page on youtube is the link for it on twitch. Wonder how long they are going to let that stay.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Twitch does need to steal letting you "rewind" a stream as it is live instead of having to wait for the VOD. That's a nice feature Youtube has over Twitch right now.

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
I've been following this a bit today. Several streams have gotten multiple DMCAs at the same time just for streaming the game which ends all monetizations, starts an appeal and review process that takes days or more and has gotten streamers blocked in several countries. This shit is a cluster atm and needs fixed.

Siddar

Hopefully competition will fix both youtube and twitchs bad ways. Now we need more then just two.

In the end the streamers are the ones providing the content and audiences will follow them no matter what platform they're on.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
You're not going to see big names hoping over to youtube anytime soon, they have signed away that right. And as stated as long as they DMCA livestreams no one is going to stick around. Ingame music is fucking them right now, let alone the playlists some listen to.

Siddar

You're not going to see big names hoping over to youtube anytime soon, they have signed away that right. And as stated as long as they DMCA livestreams no one is going to stick around. Ingame music is fucking them right now, let alone the playlists some listen to.
Yep but now youtube has to face those issues. It has been avoiding doing so for way to long now. In the short term twitch's contracts will buy them time but long term both youtube and twitch are just like cable TV channels they require content to exist and that fact transfers power to the creators of that content. Once you move away from the monopolistic position twitch currently holds. Long term look for most of those contracts to be voided by the courts.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yep but now youtube has to face those issues. It has been avoiding doing so for way to long now. In the short term twitch's contracts will buy them time but long term both youtube and twitch are just like cable TV channels they require content to exist and that fact transfers power to the creators of that content. Once you move away from the monopolistic position twitch currently holds. Long term look for most of those contracts to be voided by the courts.
Youtube doesn't have to/won't do shit, their DMCA problems have been getting worse if anything and I'd be genuinely surprised if they came up with a solution that seems to benefit the new content creators instead of old guys holding all the copyrights, because those are the ones that genuinelly pose a threat to the whole website. Youtube gaming is simply a side job that they need to cover their bases.

Dota 2 draft screen is snapshotted to some korean league vods, so anybody who uploads tournament vods can be DMCA'd by automatic bots so I genuinelly look forward to it happening to a major tournament that decides to stream on there.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
What most likely will happen is Twitch will be required to crack down on copyrights even harder than Youtube relaxing theirs. Amazon is a big target and will face increased pressure. They already implemented to VOD muting, more will come, I'm sure.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
What most likely will happen is Twitch will be required to crack down on copyrights even harder than Youtube relaxing theirs. Amazon is a big target and will face increased pressure. They already implemented to VOD muting, more will come, I'm sure.
Not receiving DMCA's during live streaming and/or being kicked of the air is a huge feature for Twitch. Becoming more strict on live copyright streaming is akin to handing YouTube on of their biggest advantages. I'm sure their will be more pressure but Twitch would be pretty stupid to bow to it with heavy pushback.

sukik

Maybe, but it's how YouTube implements, and explains their automatic ContentID that is the big problem. Their rules list and warning systems are confusing and if someones confused there's no one to help them. This is compounded by a overzealous ContentID system that automatically shuts down streams for playing games on their game streaming service. That's pants on head retarded. If Twitch wanted to crackdown on copyrighted material they could find better ways to do it.