AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
4.25 star(s) Rating: 4.25/5 4 Votes
Title: Zootopia

Tagline: Welcome to the urban jungle.

Genre: Animation, Adventure, Family, Comedy

Director: Byron Howard, Rich Moore, Jared Bush

Cast: Ginnifer Goodwin, Jason Bateman, Shakira, Idris Elba, Octavia Spencer, J.K. Simmons, Alan Tudyk, Jenny Slate, Bonnie Hunt, Don Lake, Tom Lister Jr., Tommy Chong, Kristen Bell, Katie Lowes, Josh Dallas, John DiMaggio, Nate Torrence, Maurice LaMarche, Kath Soucie, Mark Smith, Rich Moore, Byron Howard, Jared Bush, Della Saba, Phil Johnston, Gita Reddy, Jesse Corti, Leah Latham, Peter Mansbridge, Josie Trinidad, John Lavelle, Evelyn Wilson Bresee, Hewitt Bush, Jill Cordes, Madeleine Curry, Terri Douglas, Melissa Goodwin Shepherd, Zach King, Dave Kohut, Raymond S. Persi, Fuschia!

Release: 2016-02-11

Runtime: 108

Plot: Determined to prove herself, Officer Judy Hopps, the first bunny on Zootopia's police force, jumps at the chance to crack her first case - even if it means partnering with scam-artist fox Nick Wilde to solve the mystery.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
Didn't think there was a thread on this one. That sloth trailer is fucking brilliant. New trailer out yesterday.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That sloths at the DMV was the standout of the FWA trailers.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Strong chance the wife and I go see this opening night. We don't have kids. No judgment.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Saw this with the wife and it was the first movie for our 5 year old son, and everyone loved it. It was very funny, had a nice message to it without being overly preachy, an overall good Disney movie without ANY SONGS!

Szlia

What was the nice message? I am asking because a friend of mine said it was well done and very funny, but that the message was revolting!

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
What was the nice message? I am asking because a friend of mine said it was well done and very funny, but that the message was revolting!
Well, the message is that people will try to put you into a specific role/place because of your origins/body, but if you really want to do something, work hard and you might be able to do it even though few people would believe it... that was a pretty encouraging message for kids I think, since it's translated to the screen by a cute widdle bunny wanting to become a police officer in a police force made mostly of huge, strong and/or predatory animals).

khorum

Murder Apologist
So your friend thought that message was revolting?

Does xhe feel that there should be graduated tax reparations based on society's inability to accommodate a person's unhappiness with xhis/xher/their body/ethnicity?

Szlia

I have not seen the film so I can only provide you with a translation of his perception of the message:

Here, under the guise of an adventure with pseudo-feminist ambitions, it's really the political minorities that conspire to make believe that the dominants are naturally/genetically aggressive... when in fact, well, it's not true at all

My understanding of it:

Sounds like a case where the oppressed are shown as being the main or even the only instrument of their own oppression which is disingenuous at best and revolting at worst. That said, I am not sure how much the "conspire" part of his statement is a literal plot element or not.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Trailer looks good, it's a kids movie, don't over think it. The story is the typical "little engine that could", underdog type of trope that's been done many, many times..

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We went to see this today. Wife, daughter and myself. I thought it was cute, but definitely heavy on the racism angle. "We don't cater to wolves around here."

Anyway, my daughter was bored and wanted to go home some 45 minutes into the movie. $45 down the tubes. Oh well.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I have not seen the film so I can only provide you with a translation of his perception of the message:

Here, under the guise of an adventure with pseudo-feminist ambitions, it's really the political minorities that conspire to make believe that the dominants are naturally/genetically aggressive... when in fact, well, it's not true at all

My understanding of it:

Sounds like a case where the oppressed are shown as being the main or even the only instrument of their own oppression which is disingenuous at best and revolting at worst. That said, I am not sure how much the "conspire" part of his statement is a literal plot element or not.
I think your friend is just over analyzing a kids movie. Runnen has a much better take on it. Maybe something is lost in translation.

I saw it last night. It's an amusing movie that can easily be enjoyed by all ages. The story flows well and isn't super overbearing with its message.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Being the super nerds that we are, the first thing that came up after we left the theater was "what the hell do the carnivores eat?"

From the tour of the different districts that we see during Judy's trainride there is a fish market in the arctic biome and we see the flies that surround Tommy Chong's nudist hippie, so I am guessing that only mammals are sentient in this universe. We never see any insects / fish / birds out and about so I guess all of those are viable sources of meat for the carnivorous mammals.

You can tell the art team had a blast with the whole world building of Zootopia from all the small details and background names / places / images that fill up the place. That was probably the biggest takeaway that I had : that Zootopia, while idealistic and brightly colored, was such a detailed fully fleshed out universe.

*also note the videos that Alan Tudyk's Duke Weaselton is selling include the next three disney movies : Mewana (Moana), Giraffic (Gigantic) and Floatzen 2 (Frozen 2)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Very pleasantly surprised. RT gave it strong reviews but wasn't going to put too much stock in that but was a very solid movie beginning to end.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
As soon as a decent version hits the net, I'll absolutely download it and watch. As it stands, we left right after meeting "Mr. Big". Oh well...

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
it started slow but i liked it alot, so did the wife and kids.

i will admit as soon as the mayor showed up at the place, i called who the villain was to the wife.
the sheep assistant mayor - also called the substituting the blueberry for the flower essence bit.

the world this is based in, was decently fleshed out. could easily make a sequel.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Really enjoyable movie, with lots of great details. So many great jokes, I'm sure I missed half of them.
Definitely worth a watch.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie needs a bump, I watched it again and very entertaining but its nothing great like Wall-E, Tangled, or How to Train your Dragon

looked up budgets on animated films and im bummed Tangled cost 250m..

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database