10+ people game night

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Need some game ideas for a game night with probably about 12-15 people. They don't need to be board games, can be other physical type games (like jenga / bean bag game ect), but board games work too. We don't all need to play the same thing together but we'd like a few options people can bounce between.

Figure we'd have an NES classic going. We'll have some board and card games like explosive kittens and uno ect, but there's gotta be some better options out there I can order up.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What kind of people we talking about attending?

Normals? General gamers (i.e. FOH demographic)? Pop culture geeks? Older folks? Kids?

There's a ton of different possibilities I can think of, but for what's "best" demographics are needed. Also duration is a factor too - I assume you mean like 6-8 hrs, but I know some of the "game night" events we attend are sometimes more like 3-4 - which changes the pool of games a bit, there's plenty of games I can't bring to our "Makerspace" gaming nights simply because they don't work well with only 3 hrs. [I have a few times because others have DEMANDED I bring it to demo, but it always ends up a partial game

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What kind of people we talking about attending?

Normals? General gamers (i.e. FOH demographic)? Pop culture geeks? Older folks? Kids?

There's a ton of different possibilities I can think of, but for what's "best" demographics are needed. Also duration is a factor too - I assume you mean like 6-8 hrs, but I know some of the "game night" events we attend are sometimes more like 3-4 - which changes the pool of games a bit, there's plenty of games I can't bring to our "Makerspace" gaming nights simply because they don't work well with only 3 hrs. [I have a few times because others have DEMANDED I bring it to demo, but it always ends up a partial game

good questions

normies mostly, all mid 30's + and - 5 years. no kids aloud in our house. party will probably go 6-8 hours but I'm not sure having a group of 6 split off to play monopoly for 5 hours is the best idea.

I'm sorta thinking fun jenga type games we can split off into groups to play for 20-30 minutes at a time, but not jenga cause everyone plays jenga, if you know what I mean. Shit like that though.

Vaclav

Well first thing I'd suggest is something along the lines of a "Werewolf" or similar game, just in case everyone decides they want to be part of the same thing - those scale well and are generally pretty friendly with up to large groups. (Although even though "The Resistance" is solid and in the same light - I don't believe it scales past 8 so might be too limited for a "big game" possibility)

Concept might be a good one - it's designed to be played in "Teams" pretty well so it can scale a la Pictionary.

I'm rather limited on "Normie" games though - we tend to skew towards the Gamer/Pop Culture for our clique. Always worth looking at the Tabletop series for some ideas there though, those are generally more accessible than most.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

Ah, looking at your updates I might be on the completely wrong page. For silly dexterity type games mine starts and ends with Jenga - I do love some Jenga though.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ah, looking at your updates I might be on the completely wrong page. For silly dexterity type games mine starts and ends with Jenga - I do love some Jenga though.

Ya it definately is a group of normies, i'd love some of your ideas but not sure if it would work for this group.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Codenames is badass, and I'll second Werewolf for a good scalable game that can go past 10 players without much trouble. Bonus points because it's extremely fast (like 2-3 mins of audio followed by deliberation and accusations), and if people get bored of it you can move on easily after 2-3 games.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Codenames is badass, and I'll second Werewolf for a good scalable game that can go past 10 players without much trouble. Bonus points because it's extremely fast (like 2-3 mins of audio followed by deliberation and accusations), and if people get bored of it you can move on easily after 2-3 games.

Do you have a link to werewolf?

edit:

is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/Bezier-Games...&qid=1509143216&sr=8-1&keywords=werewolf+game

or should I get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bezier-Games...&qid=1509143216&sr=8-2&keywords=werewolf+game

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've only played the first one -- Dunno what the ultimate edition is, but the snippet on Amazon makes it sound worth the extra couple of dollars.

thanks!

Anything else off the top of your head? Think we might be good but if you got any other big quick fun group games i'm all ears.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Coup is pretty fun, but I'm not sure it scales to 10+ ... I think the most we played it with was 6-7. Anything else I can think of is a good deal more expensive and fewer players, like 5 tops.

If you're interested in that type though, Space Alert is pretty fun.

• 1Like

Vaclav

Not familiar with the second version either - but it sounds 100% more gooder, would definitely be my next buy if I decide I need something else similar.

• 1Like

Vaclav

And oh god, how did I not think of it until now...

Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity are another great "light" group game that scales well. They're fundamentally the same game, AtA is accessible to kids even, CAH is basically the NSFW version. Besides the content target audience they're very similar games.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Superfight is another great game for a group because it's all about debating and voting. It's a lot more interactive then a game like Cards Against Humanity.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is also fun. You can find that one on Steam. We usually do two groups for that if there are 6 or more.