12 year olds stab friend to prove Slender Man is real

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Do I really need to go back to the previous page and quote myself? Oh you.

The reason I was asking before if there have been success helping these kinds of people is for this exact reason .

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I believe it's been pretty well proven through numerous studies that when children are sent through the juvenile process, with its focus on rehabilitation, they absolutely do better than if they had gone through the adult court system. Repeat offenses, especially, go down compared to when they go through the adult system. I saw some studies I'll refind and cite when I get a chance.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There probably aren't a ton of statistics on 12 year olds that stab people and how their lives turned out.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
There probably aren't a ton of statistics on 12 year olds that stab people and how their lives turned out.
This is what I was hoping to find out. Stats on teenagers that plotted murder and lacked remorse. I have zero problem with them being tried as children if there is reasonable chance of success. I just don't think there is much. I don't know anything about psychology but the lack of remorse is terrifying to me. Their victim is going to have physical and psychological scars for the rest of her life possibly.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I believe it's been pretty well proven through numerous studies that when children are sent through the juvenile process, with its focus on rehabilitation, they absolutely do better than if they had gone through the adult court system. Repeat offenses, especially, go down compared to when they go through the adult system. I saw some studies I'll refind and cite when I get a chance.
The whole point of the adult system is to prevent the chance of a repeat offense. Life in prison plx. Murderers shouldn't get released, ever.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The whole point of the adult system is to prevent the chance of a repeat offense. Life in prison plx. Murderers shouldn't get released, ever.
I thought it was to enrich the private and public prison complex and justify the existence of our massive police state. All while satisfying the sadistic desire of the masses to see people different from them punished harshly to give them a sense of superiority.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm glad they're being charged as adults and I hope it doesn't get moved into juvenile court (although it probably will). Also, how inept do you have to be to stab someone 19 times and not kill them?
In what fucking world do you live in that a 13 year old is an adult?

What logic is it you apply that someone should be tried "as an adult"? It sure as fuck has nothing to do with the age, so what is it?

I have no issue with their being charged as adults. The capacity for empathy develops long before the age of 12 and these are the types of people who would drown their children or poison their husbands.
So why not lower the age of adult charging to 10, across the entire board. That seems to be your classification in this case.

I keep missing all these shit nuggets of threads, man :/

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Quineloe, as a fellow German (I am 3 generation removed on both sides), you should appreciate the need to prune genetic aberrations from the gene pool as much as I do. When kids are this defective, they should be removed from society. Arguably, their parents should be taken to task for this as well.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If 18 is an arbitrary number that shouldn't be used to determine when someone reaches "adult" status then 18 shouldn't be the default get out of prison date for juvenile offenders. That said I'm also of the mind that life in prison without the possibility of parole is a bullshit sentence most of the time since the perpetrator usually deserves the death penalty. But hey we don't like killing people because a) mistake fearing people, b) god fearing people, and c) destroys the pro-life argument.

So since we're all hypocrites anyways, there's no way they should get out at 18.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Busy day...There are plenty of other studies out there as well
Here's one study (granted it is for robbery/burglary):
The Comparative Advantage of Juvenile Versus Criminal Court Sanctions on Recidivism among Adolescent Felony Offenders - FAGAN - 2008 - Law Policy - Wiley Online Library
This study addresses the longstanding and contentious debate on the merits of transferring cases from juvenile to adult court with the expectation of more certain, severe, or effective punishment. It compares the severity, certainty and celerity of sanctions for N=800 15- and 16-year-old adolescents charged with robbery and burglary in juvenile court in New Jersey with identical offenders in matched communities in New York State whose cases are adjudicated in criminal court, and determines the effectiveness of these sanctions in reducing recidivism and reincarceration. Results showed that incarceration rates were higher for adolescents sentenced in the criminal court, but sentence lengths were comparable. However, recidivism rates were significantly lower for adolescents sentenced in the juvenile court,regardless of sentence type or severity. The results suggest that efforts to criminalize adolescent offending may not produce the desired results and may in fact be counterproductive. There is no support for legislative efforts to eliminate the special jurisprudence for adolescent crimes or the separate jurisdiction for juvenile offenders.
Also:
Stats - Does Treating Kids Like Adults Make A Difference? | Juvenile Justice | FRONTLINE | PBS
Two recent large-scale studies indicate that juveniles who receive harsher penalties when tried as adults are not "scared straight." In fact, after their release, they tend to reoffend sooner and more often than those treated in the juvenile system.
A 1996 Texas study found that juveniles sentenced in adult court did receive longer terms than they would have received in juvenile court. However, for all offenses except rape, the average prison time actually served was only about 27 percent of the sentence imposed, in some cases shorter than the possible sentence length in a juvenile facility.[1]
In a study of the sentences received by youth offenders in New York and New Jersey, researcher Jeffrey Fagan came to similar conclusions. He found that adolescents transferred to criminal court were more likely to be convicted and sentenced to periods of incarceration than those adjudicated in the juvenile system. However, all juveniles sentenced to incarceration received nearly identical sentence length, regardless of whether they were tried in the criminal or the juvenile system.
So basically they spend the same amount of time "locked up", but those who go through the juvenile system have lower recidivism rates. But fuck that because REVENGE!!!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But hey we don't like killing people because a) mistake fearing people, b) god fearing people, and c) destroys the pro-life argument.
Death sentence inmates cost significantly more than lifers. Unless you want to have a good old Texas fast lane, and then you are back to "mistake fearing people" as you so callously phrased it. That's a pretty huge fucking mistake not to be mindful of, don't you think?

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Death sentence inmates cost significantly more than lifers. Unless you want to have a good old Texas fast lane, and then you are back to "mistake fearing people" as you so callously phrased it. That's a pretty huge fucking mistake not to be mindful of, don't you think?
The majority of the mistakenly convicted and then killed people are black, so it's not that big of a deal.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lets just let these kids off. they are too young to understand right from wrong. its a fact all kids still believe in santa claus until age 18.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we definitely need to let them go. kids at 12 have underdeveloped minds, they have no concept of responsibility or even what death means. should just hand them back their knives and tell em to get it right this time.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Astrocreep gonna Astrocreep. Think a bit harder and maybe you discover more options!