13 Reasons Why

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: 13 Reasons Why

Genre: Drama, Mystery

First aired: 2017-03-31

Creator: Brian Yorkey, Diana Son

Cast: Dylan Minnette, Katherine Langford, Nina Cheek, Ke'Mari Moore, Joseph C. Phillips, Michael Sadler, Michele Selene Ang, Lisa Hitchcock Kallstrom, William W. Barbour, Anne Winters

Overview: After a teenage girl's perplexing suicide, a classmate receives a series of tapes that unravel the mystery of her tragic choice.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
It's a tween drama, wife heard about it, wanted to check it out, get's boring already on eps3, but we'll probably powerful through.

I'm not saying it's great, but it's probably good enough if the wife wants something to watch.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]View attachment 134574[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]13 Reasons Why[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2017-03-31[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]After a teenage girl's perplexing suicide, a classmate receives a series of tapes that unravel the mystery of her tragic choice.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I've watched the whole series. Same thing - wife wanted to watch it, but I actually quite enjoyed it.. more so than a lot of the other junk she's picked recently like Riverdale and Chesapeake Shores which were both 100% unwatchable.

13 Reasons gets pretty full on in the last couple of episodes.. They didn't shy away from some very heavy scenes which I respect.

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
I watched it with the gf.

It was pretty good, and easy to multi task to and not lose track of the narrative.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
goog show, final moments of the season fell flat tho. Could of had at least 2 more episodes to wrap things up.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I powered through it in a weekend and really liked it. Some stuff annoyed me (Tony being everywhere being one), but overall I thought it was better than a lot of other shit I've watched lately. Would recommend, unless you have issues with suicide.

Hannah was pretty cute too.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
apparently this drama is getting negative press. Since it "sensationalizes" suicide.

holy shit, if teens are dumb enough to go through the lengths to make all these shitty tapes, they deserve to die!

damn it'd cost 40bucks for a 2pack of 7 tapes!!!, this shit cost more now than it did 20years ago!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It picked up a lot for me in the later episodes. The ending, though, I was completely disappointed by. Almost no resolution to anything and some random fucking scenes that lead nowhere in the last episode.

I am disappointed that they are obviously doing a second season. It should have all been wrapped up neatly with one.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I read the wikipedia plot of the book they made the show from. It didn't really seem to have any sort of resolution. Just a bunch of blaming (in the form of who gets the tapes) of why the fat girl offed herself. I doubt I will ever actually watch this. Really though, what was the point? Did they learn a lesson or some shit, or was it just a story for the sake of being a story?

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
I read the wikipedia plot of the book they made the show from. It didn't really seem to have any sort of resolution. Just a bunch of blaming (in the form of who gets the tapes) of why the fat girl offed herself. I doubt I will ever actually watch this. Really though, what was the point? Did they learn a lesson or some shit, or was it just a story for the sake of being a story?

"Despite not wanting to star, Gomez was so drawn to the material that she took on the project as an executive producer and helped get it made as a Netflix miniseries."

Here's How Selena Gomez Is Involved in 13 Reasons Why

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
She is in the interview/doco/cast commentary episode as well which is also available on netflix.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Watched this with the wife over the last two weeks and I was very underwhelmed.

The following is a bit spoiler-y. You were warned.

It felt like a 13 hour after school special but with some really, really bad tangents.

"If only I wouldn't have made a mistake with the cute nerd boy, then I wouldn't have committed suicide."
"If only any one of these popular kids whose opinions I couldn't care less about half the time but are vitally and existentially important to me the other half the time would have been nice to me, then I wouldn't have committed suicide."
"If only I wouldn't have cost my failure parents $750 and change because I'm a teenage idiot, then I wouldn't have killed myself."
"If only I wouldn't have specifically thought to myself 'hey self, why are you going over to a rapist's house with a bunch of kids that you hate' but stayed at the party and gotten undressed into my underwear and hopped into the hot tub and stayed in it after everyone else had left and then gotten raped, then I wouldn't have committed suicide."
"If only I wouldn't have been entirely vague and uncooperative with the counselor when reporting my rape and then huffed out of the office while simultaneously wishing that he would come after me, then I wouldn't have committed suicide."

The last is probably the thing that sent me over the edge. At least 3 times in the series you see her act like a gigantic cunt to someone but then get exposition about how she was really hurting and just wanted them to chase after her.

In the end, I don't necessarily agree that it romanticizes suicide or glorifies it, but it sure as fuck sends the worst message to those around it. This bitch wanted to die. She planned it meticulously, didn't tell anyone she was thinking about it, didn't try to get any explicit help, and made sure she used a method that would ensure death. There is no fucking way you are going to stop someone who is that committed to killing them self. You can't be perpetually nice to everyone and always spare everyone's feelings just in case they might, perhaps be suicidal and kill themselves. The strongest point the show had was that we all just need to be nicer to each other in general all the time, but it was mostly lost while wallowing in the depths of how anyone was supposed to stop this suicide when none of them could have possibly known she was suicidal.

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
In the end, I don't necessarily agree that it romanticizes suicide or glorifies it, but it sure as fuck sends the worst message to those around it. This bitch wanted to die. She planned it meticulously, didn't tell anyone she was thinking about it, didn't try to get any explicit help, and made sure she used a method that would ensure death. There is no fucking way you are going to stop someone who is that committed to killing them self. You can't be perpetually nice to everyone and always spare everyone's feelings just in case they might, perhaps be suicidal and kill themselves. The strongest point the show had was that we all just need to be nicer to each other in general all the time, but it was mostly lost while wallowing in the depths of how anyone was supposed to stop this suicide when none of them could have possibly known she was suicidal.

Yeah I never got the "glorifying suicide" vibe i saw articles pop up about this show. The suicide seemed pretty awful.

As for the message, I had a similar takeaway of be better to each other. I didn't get the feeling the characters really could have stopped her and the tapes more played into how we, the audience should act. Preaching without preaching. Be there for each other. Be nicer to each other. Don't let your friend rape every girl he sees. If your friend stays with you cause his step mom is fucking a meth dealer who beats him, maybe get him more help than booze and weed (though the couch, booze and weed are nice too). Killing yourself really fucks up those closest to you, it made Kate Walsh look like a hag. I'm sure there are more.

As far as teen dramas go, it's pretty watchable and flows pretty well.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I guess i understand to a point the counselors who are worried about this, mostly citing how Columbine was the impetus for other school shooters to follow. But then, it seems to be a good tween drama, i really emphasize tween here, i'm sure we're all 30+, hell maybe even fucking as old as 40 or 50, some of us have kids too would you fathers let your kids watch this? It really does play like a decent enough after school special.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Started watching this with the girlfriend. It has some obvious stupid shit, but it's been entertaining so far. Very easy to watch, sorta mindless in a way that can be enjoyable. Not really getting the whole "glorifying suicide" thing, but whatever. Gotta have something to complain about. Seems destined for a shitty ending but at least it's not reruns of The Office or whatever she usually wants to watch.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Watched this with the wife over the last two weeks and I was very underwhelmed.

The following is a bit spoiler-y. You were warned.

It felt like a 13 hour after school special but with some really, really bad tangents.

"If only I wouldn't have made a mistake with the cute nerd boy, then I wouldn't have committed suicide."
"If only any one of these popular kids whose opinions I couldn't care less about half the time but are vitally and existentially important to me the other half the time would have been nice to me, then I wouldn't have committed suicide."
"If only I wouldn't have cost my failure parents $750 and change because I'm a teenage idiot, then I wouldn't have killed myself."
"If only I wouldn't have specifically thought to myself 'hey self, why are you going over to a rapist's house with a bunch of kids that you hate' but stayed at the party and gotten undressed into my underwear and hopped into the hot tub and stayed in it after everyone else had left and then gotten raped, then I wouldn't have committed suicide."
"If only I wouldn't have been entirely vague and uncooperative with the counselor when reporting my rape and then huffed out of the office while simultaneously wishing that he would come after me, then I wouldn't have committed suicide."

The last is probably the thing that sent me over the edge. At least 3 times in the series you see her act like a gigantic cunt to someone but then get exposition about how she was really hurting and just wanted them to chase after her.

This is a great summary of my issues as well. As the episodes progressed I started having less and less sympathy for Hannah.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't realize there was a thread on this! Caught most of this with the gf. Shit was dumb and I'm glad that girl killed herself. She was the absolute worst.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database