1917 (2019)

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I thought this was kinda cool but just didn't connect with it. Some of the story telling just bothered me. It a 2 hour single shot movie but right at the beginning the dude says it's 9 miles and it's going to take 6 hours. You never hear the trucks or people in the broken down farm. It's like they just popped out of nowhere. Dude gets pinned down by the sniper right when he says goodby and not a single person helps nor do you hear the trucks move out. Dude walking into a camp with no sentries. For some reason that shit just bothered me and I couldn't get into the movie.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I was 100% in until the first fade to black and we're in the basement. It's not uncommon for action films to take a breather but I was really just waiting for the story to get back moving again.

It's still super good though. For me there's always something melancholy surrounding stories of the first world war. It's so much death and destruction for so little only to have a greater conflagration break out a couple decades later.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just got back from it and enjoyed it. Tense, good acting. Had a few parts that seemed dumb to me, like trucks out of nowhere behind enemy lines, no one helping at the bridge as he’s getting shot at (if they would have drove off earlier it would’ve been fine), and the dude singing in the woods was over the top. I also didn’t care about the basement scene at all, I just wanted him to leave.

Those things weren’t bothersome enough to make me dislike it, it was entertaining and seeing the nasty trenches was cool. War movies always so sad, poor fuckers.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is the basement scene the one with the girl & baby?

My estrogen levels must have quadrupled since I had a kid or something, because that scene really bummed me out. A baby girl in the middle of that fucking hellscape was about to give me a fucking panic attack, and those definitely aren't something I'm prone to. Had a couple memories of 911 calls pop up right in the middle of it and I was really close to walking out of the movie during that scene. I would have had to leave the movie if anything happened to the girl & baby. Choking me up right now thinking about it.

I still liked the movie a lot, even with some of the dumb shit in the 2nd half. I think it's the same reason that I like the scene in Apocalypse Now when Daddy Sheen makes it to the Dolung Bridge and it feels like reality and sanity has abandoned all the soldiers there. It's a bunch of people in a fucked up situation that can't make sense of it, so they just operate at the most basic tier of their lizard brain like some wide-eyed acid tripping robots.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Finally saw this tonight. Really really liked it. Excellent. Same criticisms as yall mentioned. Definitely better than Parasite.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Watched this last night.

Cinematography was really amazing. I really liked when he was fleeing that French woman's house under the flare light. It looked really cool.

The song being sung to the British had a really interesting haunting quality too.

Pretty good.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Went it blind minus listening to everyone raving about it. I Came in expecting a 10 and feel like I got a 7.5.

It was good but not great.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Terrific movie. There are some bland parts but the rest makes up for them. The last 30 minutes is some of the best I've filmmaking I've seen.