1917 (2019)

spronk

FPS noob
If you have a chance see it in imax/dolby before Bad Boys 3 takes over in 2 days. Technically extremely impressive, the DP is Roger Deakins who did Blade Runner 2049, Sicario, Skyfall, No Country for Old Men, and so much more and his technical skills are on full display here. Worth it alone just to admire all that shit, while you do notice the "tricks" they use to move from area to area without breaking the shot its still goddamn impressive when you really sit and think about what it must have taken.

Still, the story is mediocre. First half is fantastic, a real war immersion "jesus fucking christ" kinda story that is great. Then theres a 40 minute basically level from a call of duty video game, its weird and silly at parts and cool to watch but so many "wtf" moments. A meh ending, too many cameos and a lot more "... yeah, I don't think thats how that works" kinda moments. It was fine, but its not really Dunkirk, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, etc. Great visuals though.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
If you have a chance see it in imax/dolby before Bad Boys 3 takes over in 2 days.

My AMC is only giving Bad Boys the iMax screen, so I might go see this again in the Dolby. It looks incredible on it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Going to go catch a showing of this today. I'm going to see it in the "DFX" theater. I'm pretty fucking pissed that the theaters around here are only showing Star Wars in IMAX - fucking idiots.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Still, the story is mediocre. First half is fantastic, a real war immersion "jesus fucking christ" kinda story that is great. Then theres a 40 minute basically level from a call of duty video game, its weird and silly at parts and cool to watch but so many "wtf" moments. A meh ending, too many cameos and a lot more "... yeah, I don't think thats how that works" kinda moments. It was fine, but its not really Dunkirk, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, etc. Great visuals though.
This is pretty much the movie in a nutshell. The first 40-60 minutes or so were great and I was into it. But, shortly after a pretty pivotal scene, it slowly starts to go downhill and never really recovers. The part at night had me rolling my eyes at a few points.

It was beautifully shot and should definitely win all/most of the cinematography, editing, etc. type awards but, this falls way short of many of the great war movies.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Great film. My top choice for Best Picture atm. Still have to see Parasite tho.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
People really loved Dunkirk huh? I thought it was good, but this was a much better film

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Finally watched this. It's really quite good, but falls a bit short of being truly great. First half of the movie was amazing, then it sort of becomes much less so.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Finally watched this. It's really quite good, but falls a bit short of being truly great. First half of the movie was amazing, then it sort of becomes much less so.

So Clemson?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is pretty much the movie in a nutshell. The first 40-60 minutes or so were great and I was into it. But, shortly after a pretty pivotal scene, it slowly starts to go downhill and never really recovers. The part at night had me rolling my eyes at a few points.

It was beautifully shot and should definitely win all/most of the cinematography, editing, etc. type awards but, this falls way short of many of the great war movies.
Most great movies and stories you can break up into 3 act's. This movie, feels like a 4 acts. As you said, the pivotal point happening in what I would designate as the 2nd act. Therefore, it sets it's own 3rd act up for failure, as it feels like filler.
Act 1- Get the assignment, cross out into no man's land, and concluding with the escape from the collapsing the mine shaft.
Act 2- Venturing out into the farmlands, the aerial dogfight, King Tommen getting stabbed, and concluding with the meeting up with the new company.
Act 3- Show down with the sniper, night time in the town, giving the food to the girl and baby, running through the streets, and concluding with the jump into the river to safety.
Act 4- Finding the battalion in the woods, the ticking of the clock while desperately trying to find the commanding officer, delivering the message, finding Rob Stark, and the dumping of emotional conclusion.
I think if you switch the order events of Act 3 & 2, while also cleaning up some of the ridiculousness of what happens in the town, it makes for a cleaner story.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

the part that REALLY bugged me for some irrational reason was our main dude strolling into a camp of soldiers who are listening to a guy singing his ass off in the middle of the woods. No fucking sentries, pass phrases, friend or foe stuff, nothing? It was just like that one time in Age of Empires when I snuck a suicide unit into the enemy base

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I found myself trying to pick where the cuts were. I'd love to see a Making Of for this movie.

If they don't get an award for Cinematography, the Academy is even more fucked than I thought.

Goatface

though parts 1 and 2 were some of the best i had seen in a long time. part 3 was ok to meh, end was good.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Fuck, I just realised . . . Rob Stark is Tommen's brother.

Whaaaat??

I knew there was inner house and cross breeding in GoT, but that's a twist.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Trash. Whole movie felt like a bunch of Call of Duty levels stitched together, and some "exciting" cutscenes (plane crash), etc. to break up the monotony along with an obligatory cheap waterfall story device (Apocalypto, Predator, The Fugitive) to find a way to give a main character a chance to escape. I guess I must have missed all those waterfalls literring the landscape of Northern France.

Fuck this lazy movie straight in its asshole for being such a shitty, paint by the numbers, garbage job.

The only thing it has going for it is the "continuous shot" but I could literally give zero fucks about that. I wanted a story, not a shot.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
^^^

That's the best review you can have right there. When Araysar says stuff like that, you know the film's a good one.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users