1917 (2019)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Reviews coming - This has started to get some serious praise. One of the only two "rotten" reviews coming from a Polgyon "writer"... Which is to be expected with those miserable homos.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Just saw this, holy shit was it intense. I felt like it had a few unnecessary scenes but overall a 9/10.

Easily one of the best cinematography experiences I’ve ever seen, entire movie is one long shot, if it doesn’t win oscars I’ll be surprised.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well, after reading this thread and some other stuff, I am looking forward to seeing this more than any other movie currently in circulation.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Feels like forever since I have been this excited for a new movie. I will try to see it this coming weekend.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Feels like forever since I have been this excited for a new movie. I will try to see it this coming weekend.
Same. Can't wait for the IMAX experience on this. I love movies that are "spectacles" and amazing cinematic experiences. Interstellar, BR2049, Dunkirk, Dredd in 3D, Avatar, etc.

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Dolby Cinema tickets in hand for Friday. Hoping I at least get something near Dunkirk's quality.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just walked out. Quite the film. It felt a lot like a really good single player intro campaign, cutscene, something something, probably due to the incredibly narrow focus on just the main characters who barely ever leave the camera’s central view. I think the soundtrack added a ton as well. Will wait for other’s before posting more. Interested in y’all’s thoughts.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
This was fantastic. Incredibly tense the whole way through, the “single shot” filming felt incredibly claustrophobic. Really well done. Fantastic acting.

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the best movies I have seen in years. It delivered on everything I was hoping it would be and more. Great story, technical achievement, and incredibly tense.

Funny thing is, I saw it with my dad and his old geezer friend. They hated it. They saw Midway a few weeks ago and were mad this this wasn't more like that movie.

• 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really liked this. It was very tense & intimate. A bit of a "spectacle" film with the continuous shot direction, but I think it only added to the movie.

I preferred Dunkirk, but this was in that realm. Great war movie, and in a weak year of movies I could see it being the best (although I can barely recall what came out in 2019 other than End Game & Midsommar).

The visuals in the town with the flares was incredible.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Really liked this. It was very tense & intimate. A bit of a "spectacle" film with the continuous shot direction, but I think it only added to the movie.

I preferred Dunkirk, but this was in that realm. Great war movie, and in a weak year of movies I could see it being the best (although I can barely recall what came out in 2019 other than End Game & Midsommar).

The visuals in the town with the flares was incredible.

The town, the trenches, no man's land, it all was insane how large in scale it was. I kept wondering how they had such a large area (again super long continuous take) aside from actually shelling a town and a field, building trenches, populating them with FBI forensic farm corpses, etc. Incredible visuals, but the story was good as well. It is definitely worth seeing in a theater.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just back from seeing it. From the point of view of a movie I enjoyed it a lot. Tense, good soundtrack and not the same formulaic shit Hollywood tends to put out.

From the perspective of cinema, holy shit it was amazing. One shot (I have no idea how they pulled it off), visually stunning, and I honestly had no idea how it was going to end.

Go see this in a theater.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just back from seeing it. From the point of view of a movie I enjoyed it a lot. Tense, good soundtrack and not the same formulaic shit Hollywood tends to put out.

From the perspective of cinema, holy shit it was amazing. One shot (I have no idea how they pulled it off), visually stunning, and I honestly had no idea how it was going to end.

Go see this in a theater.

You have no idea how they pulled what off? The multiple closeups of trees, backpacks, walls, walking in to darkness, quick turns, etc doesn’t give you some idea of how they pulled it off? I mean it was a spectacular piece of film making but they had to force every excuse for a “bad” shot in order to make those cuts. It is my only complaint of the whole thing. Birdman already did this, 1917 was much bigger though.

It is funny that the whole thing is billed as these two on such a dangerous mission and the brother dies in the second set up. It was the biggest shock for me.

Fucker

Log Wizard
One of the best movies I have seen in years. It delivered on everything I was hoping it would be and more. Great story, technical achievement, and incredibly tense.

Funny thing is, I saw it with my dad and his old geezer friend. They hated it. They saw Midway a few weeks ago and were mad this this wasn't more like that movie.

Midway is something I'd make if you gave me $5 and a pound of Hodj's coke.

Raskoljnikov

Lord Nagafen Raider
Weird how I didn't hear more about this one. Definitely going to watch it soon. Since I'm fan of WWI I have high expectations but we will see..