2 years later... the almost sad state of MMOs in the new era

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Money.

Given the amount of money necessary these days to produce a quality expansive game, nobody is going to go the MMO route. Any game with significant investment to produce a good quality, you will have transaction filled instanced lobby games, which means there's no need of a great open world.

It's a rat race between the rising costs required to produce a modern-era MMO and the simplification that create the revenue streams needed to persuade investors to give you the money - because your kickstarter does not produce enough money for that to happen. The upper bar for open world expansive MMO is basically Project Gorgon.

So scale it down. Don't operate on a budget that requires seeing X00,000 players per month to achieve a return. Maybe instead operate on a budget that only needs X0,000 players or maybe even X,000 players per month. Target niche communities that prove they can be loyal, and let them determine the scope of your game and the size of your team.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users
This developer from WoW nails an aspect that I think is absolutely critical: we forget how primitive the web was back in 2004, and 1999 is almost another world. He really lays out all those points really well and argues that is reason 1 why you just can't do open-world contested content games anymore:

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
WoW did everything so well for a good period of time (launch til end of WOTLK) that the competition either just couldn't hack it or didn't bother. As mentioned above, monetization has shifted from content to convenience and it's invaded and fucked every aspect of gaming no matter the platform.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This developer from WoW nails an aspect that I think is absolutely critical: we forget how primitive the web was back in 2004, and 1999 is almost another world. He really lays out all those points really well and argues that is reason 1 why you just can't do open-world contested content games anymore:

No he does not. He thinks we had no guides back in 1999? you have to have hand holding in game to be better? Is this what you really think?He thinks classic is open world and hard? WTF? You follow the exclamation marks around, one leading to another. He also thinks current wow is the cats meow, which clearly it isnt based on the sub numbers vs classic. This moron is a zoomer that does not know WTF hes talking about. again, largely out of touch with fans.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Ion is great at designing encounters and when he talks he seems really knowledgeable, but then outside of the raid encounters everything is kind of shitty and not fun.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There needs to be something meaningful outside of instanced content where having better gear actually matters. No syncing your level down, scaling enemies up to your item level, or having a constant setting regardless of what tier or xpac you're on. YOU get better and can do it faster, with less people, etc.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So scale it down. Don't operate on a budget that requires seeing X00,000 players per month to achieve a return. Maybe instead operate on a budget that only needs X0,000 players or maybe even X,000 players per month. Target niche communities that prove they can be loyal, and let them determine the scope of your game and the size of your team.

Star Citizen done did it. And Mark Jacobs can't get Camelot funded.

It's not working out.

• 1Truth!
No he does not. He thinks we had no guides back in 1999? you have to have hand holding in game to be better? Is this what you really think?He thinks classic is open world and hard? WTF? You follow the exclamation marks around, one leading to another. He also thinks current wow is the cats meow, which clearly it isnt based on the sub numbers vs classic. This moron is a zoomer that does not know WTF hes talking about. again, largely out of touch with fans.

Read harder. He is not claiming there were no guides. From the start there have been guides. But here is the thing. In the early years, a group could not count on the skills of a group member, the language compatibility, the stability of their connection, how much they read the internet if at all. Knowledge spread way slower, compared to the literally overnight lifespan of unknown and undocumented content today.

Maybe you got a grudge against what this fellow is doing currently or over the past 10 years. I am strictly talking about what he says about the earlier years.

Surprised this point would be a contested one. Google did not exist. Youtube did not exist. Some message boards and websites existed. Lots of players went LD the way Mary went down on Joseph -- constantly. The entire internet world and trying-to-play-a-game-online world was often frustrating. That Angry German Kid existed for a reason.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I mean, What does it cost to have a game with 10,000 Players? Design a "niche" world for 10k players you can scale out horizontally and not vertically, with a sense of place, really distinct culture and... I just remade 4 games from 2001. Have live events with player involvement! 2003. Dynamic world with player interaction! 2007-8. WoW just set the bar too high, and no one made enough content to be compelling to enough people long term, other than WoW, who did it salting the earth for anyone else. I mean, the money's there. Star Citizen has raised 300,000,000 million dollars. Are you telling me it takes that much, with development houses on 3 continents to make a bloody game? Someone get me Joe Rogan and Elon Musk. I want Horizons (Fantasy AI horde enemy with collective player projects) and Rift (team PVE with dynamic world events) and The Secret World (dark cosmic horror conspiracy MMO) and Star Wars Galaxies (wide open classless skill based MMO), with some WH40K, all so very different, back with Blizzard execution. That was the MMO scene I want to see. I guess some of it I can still play in one form or the other, Star Wars the Old Republic, ESO, and GW2, WoW Classic, TSW is still running, I think (70GB client), LOTR hasn't shut down yet, has it?

WoW not only set the content bar too high, they also set investor ROI expectations too high as well, and no one managed to pull together a real company to do both. Not even stupidly rich Major league pitchers have that kind of cash, apparently.

But as a genre, they're all dead, Jim. The space as we knew it has just evolved. Games will have Characters but only as places for your purchases to live, either of the game or the in-game FTP purchases.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Here's a recent interview with Gordon Walter and Raph Koster with a german channel about this topic. Discussion is in english, I timestamped it for you:

Basically, it boils down to everyone wanting the big bucks by making a WoW killer (because the market is obviously there) and no one gave you money for an MMO unless you aimed to be the next WoW. This killed innovation and niche projects, and also failed because you couldn't outspend Blizzard while they were printing money.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
No he does not.

Yeah, dude leads off with "people were playing wrong", and we get a list of things that are either game-provided tools that didnt exist, or external technology we didnt have for years (and ignores that every guild and community had forums, and pinging through AIM and ICQ, and voice chat in ts, vent or wilco was a thing that happened).

His take is more correct to how the smaller CCG tournament scene played out (L5R was notorious for this, with different regions of the US having VASTLY different meta, and Europe doing a "hold my beer, watch this shit" moment at every euro championship for 15 years) and not how the majority of the MMO scene evolved at that point.

He was a couple years late on the era of that statement. If he wanted to say this was the case for the early days of EQ, yeah, nobody argues that.

Early days of WoW though? You had raid mods for DO THE THING NOW GOGO by the time BWL released (refined by BC into DBM, but I'm almost positive we had addons for specific MC fights because I remember getting multiple instant tells with "You have the bomb run to the center" before blackwing) and the industry-best database in Wowhead was live before Naxx.

You also couldnt shake your fist without seeing video guides for raid fights (which is still sacrilege, but I think some of that was due to youtube launching a couple months before BWL, and now people could have an easy place to host videos ) or full zone walkthroughs.

Spreadsheeting gear in early WoW was SO much easier than in EQ because I didnt have to use 5 different websites to even see full drop tables.

It DID impact the more casual and/or lower end, and forced them to start adopting the things the higher end of the community already knew (which they did haphazardly, and we got shit like gearscore, which didnt solve the problem they wanted it to solve) but people who raided in early wow, at least the guilds they seeded their testing with in the late alpha and early beta stages, had solved the "you're playing wrong" issues years prior.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Here's a recent interview with Gordon Walter and Raph Koster with a german channel about this topic. Discussion is in english, I timestamped it for you:

Basically, it boils down to everyone wanting the big bucks by making a WoW killer (because the market is obviously there) and no one gave you money for an MMO unless you aimed to be the next WoW. This killed innovation and niche projects, and also failed because you couldn't outspend Blizzard while they were printing money.

Its pretty much what I, and others were saying for years. This is not some epiphany here lol. This is what I mean when I say "WOW killed mmorpg"

• 3Like

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
For over 15 years now, retards have assumed that WoW can be dethroned simply by making a better version of it because they don't realize that, for better or worse, WoW is the apotheosis of the entire genre. This belief is tragically comic and akin to the mistaken notion that a system can be changed from within.

WoW doesn't need to be killed off, it just needs to be moved on from.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For over 15 years now, retards have assumed that WoW can be dethroned simply by making a better version of it because they don't realize that, for better or worse, WoW is the apotheosis of the entire genre. This belief is tragically comic and akin to the mistaken notion that a system can be changed from within.

WoW doesn't need to be killed off, it just needs to be moved on from.

It really depends on your tastes. WoW is the best if you like that type of mmorpg. But there are billions of people who don't like it.

Personally, I'm pretty much done with any mmorpg that does the quest fetch thing, and mmorpg's in general. Been there, done that for 20 years. It's time for something new, has been for a long time. That is part of the reason why there aren't any AAA companies working seriously on mmorpg's. The kids don't want them and even us older players have grown tired of the formula. It's dead Jim.

• 3Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
It's time for something new, has been for a long time.
Then you have to specify in what direction you want this "new" to go. The "grind your way through mobs without purpose to level up" is older than the quest/fetch thing. We had that with DikuMUD and its incarnations. The social/story/puzzle driven MUDs predate all those--MUD1 was modeled after Zork.

I think we have come full circle somewhat, only that most players haven't been there for the whole ride and think Meridian 59/UO/EQ were the first of its kind. Now many games have the subscriptions (they call it battle pass or such nonsense), the cash shop and the player retention mechanics. The new generation isn't interested in these time/effort games like old people were. They have Twitter feeds to check and Instagram posts to make and TikToks to dance!

• 2Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Then you have to specify in what direction you want this "new" to go. The "grind your way through mobs without purpose to level up" is older than the quest/fetch thing. We had that with DikuMUD and its incarnations. The social/story/puzzle driven MUDs predate all those--MUD1 was modeled after Zork.

I think we have come full circle somewhat, only that most players haven't been there for the whole ride and think Meridian 59/UO/EQ were the first of its kind. Now many games have the subscriptions (they call it battle pass or such nonsense), the cash shop and the player retention mechanics. The new generation isn't interested in these time/effort games like old people were. They have Twitter feeds to check and Instagram posts to make and TikToks to dance!

If I knew, I would be making it. Didn't know what a fps was when I started playing Doom. Didn't know what a mmo was when I started playing EQ. Eventually there will be a new genre, hopefully soon.

Daidraco

I dont know too many people that desire going out of their way to grind something out anymore. The carrot on the stick for an MMO has devolved substantially and is usually just a stepping stone of no importance in order to get to the next stepping stone of no importance. Thats not necessarily reserved to just MMORPG's anymore either, but FPSMMO's, ARPGMMO's and basically anything that has become a "Service". These companies have developed their monetization to a point where what made these games special to begin with has become a vague memory, an empty shell.

We all know that items have become less sought after and less remembered because they are generic, and created inside of a spread sheet. We know that levels, although perceived to have an increase in character power, really dont. It's all just an illusion in order to get you to play longer. They can take an NPC from a noobie area, level match it with a 120 and it will be roughly the same difficulty. The idea behind quests has transformed from taking you on an epic journey with a major reward, to a treadmill that indoctrinates you into the level and item reward system in its current iteration. So now you're doing mindless quests in order to mindlessly grind mobs in order to get just another level with just another reward that'll be replaced within the next 15-20 mindless quests. When its put on such a base level as that, does that sound interesting to anyone? Really?... Remind yourself that you're paying for this service and now its pretty evident why theyre doing that exact thing.

When they made EverQuest, Ultima Oline, Asherons Call, Dark Ages of Camelot etc. - the idea was to make a game that was fun and had fun things to do and work towards. They didnt have an abundance of quests and the ones they did have, were mostly memorable. Such as the Epics, or the Shawl etc. The quest for Crushbone belts was a basic fetch quest, right? But a surprisingly large amount of people had no idea about that quest cause it wasnt in your face demanding to be done. The fact it was a fetch quest isnt what made it memorable, its the fact that if you turned in enough of those belts - you would save yourself tons of time that you would just be sitting on Orc Hill running from a bad pull every 5 minutes.

Gear and items were worth your time because in those early expansions of EverQuest - that shit made a difference. A Sword of Ykesha, even just one, would dramatically change your life as a Warrior with threat. Add in an Flowing Black Silk Sash, and watch tf out cause NOW you truly have aggro on mobs. Mask of the Deceiver? Now your shit life as a fat ass Ogre is made good cause you can go places where you previously couldnt. Manastone? You just saved yourself a chunk of down time.

MMO's are only dead in the nature of how theyre built. The sooner we reach the point where hundreds of millions of dollars do not have to be spent to make an MMO - we can expect a company to make one that isnt a vapid clone of any other service model MMO.

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

nu_11

FPS and MOBAs rolled that up and threw it in the trash. WoW is ant-size comparatively and a drop in the bucket.
Not quite sure what you’re saying.

But from my experience people in MOBAs grind matchmaking ranking points.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not quite sure what you’re saying.

But from my experience people in MOBAs grind matchmaking ranking points.

MOBAs =/= grind

They're right next to FPS in my book. There is no "grind" in the MMO sense.

• 1Solidarity