2 years later... the almost sad state of MMOs in the new era

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Not quite sure what you’re saying.

But from my experience people in MOBAs grind matchmaking ranking points.

Grinding a ladder is a lot different than grinding npcs in an MMO.

A ladder actually requires you to have some semblance of skill & intelligence.
Grinding in MMOs is brainless.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Until someone makes a real space MMO, I don't see any successful deviations from the WoW formula.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

I like brainless though. Games are a past time for me after a long day of using my skill and intelligence at work.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think a big recession would create a resurgence of the work-like MMO. I'm convinced that's what made WoW so popular.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I think you overestimate people. Smurfs, cheaters, boosters, and account buyers. Gaining MMR is just another mindless grind. You go up 3, down 2, up 2, down 3, up 1 LOL

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I think you overestimate people. Smurfs, cheaters, boosters, and account buyers. Gaining MMR is just another mindless grind. You go up 3, down 2, up 2, down 3, up 1 LOL

I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

Yes you can grind the ladder but you're never guaranteed to be rewarded for it.
You are always rewarded for grinding in an MMO.
It's completely different types of grind.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
ArchAge just had a solid relaunch last year.

solid relaunch

zVqgVJR.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Rimshot
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 3 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

Yes you can grind the ladder but you're never guaranteed to be rewarded for it.
You are always rewarded for grinding in an MMO.
It's completely different types of grind.
I concede that one has some randomness to it. No shit.

But I’m not comparing apple and oranges because they’re both grinds. Which is the topic of discussion.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You nerds talking about grinding probably haven't even played eve.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The topic of discussion:

I dont know too many people that desire going out of their way to grind something out anymore.

FPS and MOBAs rolled that up and threw it in the trash. WoW is ant-size comparatively and a drop in the bucket.

Not quite sure what you’re saying.

But from my experience people in MOBAs grind matchmaking ranking points.

MOBAs =/= grind

They're right next to FPS in my book. There is no "grind" in the MMO sense.

The topic isn't just "grinding". Life is a grind. Work is a grind. The topic is Daidraco's next sentence really: "The carrot on the stick for an MMO has devolved substantially and is usually just a stepping stone of no importance in order to get to the next stepping stone of no importance."

A ladder doesn't have stepping stones. Increasing your MMR doesn't make the next match easier. Per Jayrebb's point, FPS/MOBAs eliminated the stepping stones and even carrots for the most part. You can still unlock some desirable things by playing, but it's very limited these days.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I think that at this point we're just never going to get a terribly interesting new MMO. I think the best you can hope for is small, but fairly active MMOs like Albion Online. Maybe if the development tools become simple enough, a small team could put together a nice community MMO. But the age of big MMOs that aren't like WoW are a pipe dream at this point.

It sucks because it's a great genre. But the amount of resources still needed to make one just makes them off putting to developers.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think that at this point we're just never going to get a terribly interesting new MMO. I think the best you can hope for is small, but fairly active MMOs like Albion Online. Maybe if the development tools become simple enough, a small team could put together a nice community MMO. But the age of big MMOs that aren't like WoW are a pipe dream at this point.

It sucks because it's a great genre. But the amount of resources still needed to make one just makes them off putting to developers.

If Star Citizen can get $500,000,000 then I think a really good Kickstarter for a new MMO could at least get $30,000,000. And I'm not talking Pantheon level of retardation of just having some shit drawn on some napkins, but an actual game where they can at least show off what the world will look like and what they are planning to implement as far as gameplay. Hell, at this point, I've saved so much money from being in quarantine, I'd be willing to throw in $1,000. I thought Ut was going to make us our dream MMO?!

• 1Pathetic

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
If Star Citizen can get $500,000,000 then I think a really good Kickstarter for a new MMO could at least get $30,000,000. And I'm not talking Pantheon level of retardation of just having some shit drawn on some napkins, but an actual game where they can at least show off what the world will look like and what they are planning to implement as far as gameplay. Hell, at this point, I've saved so much money from being in quarantine, I'd be willing to throw in $1,000. I thought Ut was going to make us our dream MMO?!

I'd say that Star Citizen is a weird ass anomaly that will never happen for another game. The only way I could see a kickstarter like that happening for a fantasy MMO is if the original creators of WoW got together and started a campaign for the money. From what I understand, most of them are retired, working on Overwatch, or still on WoW.

With Pantheon, I don't know. Brad's passing was a big blow. I do still hope they can get something of a "core" game out one day that they can build on. But I guess we'll see.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'd say that Star Citizen is a weird ass anomaly that will never happen for another game. The only way I could see a kickstarter like that happening for a fantasy MMO is if the original creators of WoW got together and started a campaign for the money. From what I understand, most of them are retired, working on Overwatch, or still on WoW.

With Pantheon, I don't know. Brad's passing was a big blow. I do still hope they can get something of a "core" game out one day that they can build on. But I guess we'll see.

Not sure if serious, sarcastic, or cocaine joke

• 1Solidarity