2 years later... the almost sad state of MMOs in the new era

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
There will never even be a successor to WoW, let alone something that kills it. The era of the MMORPG is over, it's been over, it's not coming back.

The "next big thing" will be some non-game virtual world a la Second Life (only shittier, if such a thing is possible) integrated with social media.
I don't think there will be a 15m+ subscriber MMO again, but I disagree that the era of the MMORPG is over. In fact, I think we'll see a lot more MMOs start to sprout up over the next 5 years, but they will be more niche games, with lower development costs, aimed a specific audience.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Knock an M off the acronym then, since "massive" as a designation will no longer be applicable in any sense.

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Knock an M off the acronym then, since "massive" as a designation will no longer be applicable in any sense.
If a game still has 50k subscribers split up into 2 servers, rather than 400k players being split into 16 servers then what's the real difference?

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Well, there's the plain fact that the former has a playerbase only 1/8th that of the latter, regardless how it's partitioned.

I don't consider population density to be the defining criterion.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

moai13

Trakanon Raider
Going off what Ikkan said, I'd still say 25k is Massive (that's a small/medium town's worth of people!). Different people will have different definitions, though.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How many games actually embrace open world vs how many are glorified lobbies to queue instances? If gameplay only happens for restricted numbers at a time and the only interaction with hundreds of other players is a dress up hub then it definitely isn't massive.

The capacity to zerg something in the field must be maintained.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I had heard someone say ffXIV is bigger than wow is that true?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm going to try to give you a simple definition in qualitative terms rather than quantitative ones:

- A multiplayer game is a game that multiple people are in the same game alongside YOU
- A massively multiplayer game is a game where you find people not playing in YOUR game alongside you

That is what differentiate large-scale multiplayer games from MMO. In a multiplayer game, everyone you meet in game is involved in the same play session. They're working with or against you for a specific objective. That's not the case in a MMO - you can meet a player that is completely uninvolved with your current session, objective, or whatever you are pursuing at one given point.

You can have a 128-player battle royale, and it's a multiplayer game, because they are all in a specific battle. You can have a Meridian59 server in which there's a cap of 40 people running around, and it's a Massively Multiplayer because each player is typically involved in his own thing.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Bartle claims that the guy who coined the term "massively multiplayer" actually did so to describe the type of game you mentioned in your first example, a larger session-based type instead of a "world" game.

1606318217510.png

He goes on to say that "Persistent World Game" would've been a better alternative to differentiate between these two distinct game types, but it didn't catch on.

• 1Like
I think a useful starting division is, content vs. design.

Design = the mechanics, from combat to character development to world design.
Content = what is this game about?

I pick those two and keep the definitions real simple because I think content might be the block. We can hash out mechanics all day, and we do not have to reinvent a wheel at that level. I am assuming since we come from similar gaming backgrounds we have a lot of shared design goals we could spell out.

But if I had to summarize the "content" problem, it would be this: believe it or not, playing an elf simulator is just not a thing anymore. And also, a luke skywalker simulator is boring as fuck. Etc.

So if my hypothesis has potential, the big question is, where do people want to go? I love me some elf simulator action, but I am irrelevant: I am over 30. Way.

If one could find the right world, the tried and true mechanics can then be implemented. But people have to actually want to "be" a lvl 000 xxx yyy zzzz throughout the persistence of that character. A persistent world without persistent players is meaningless. A persistent world requires persistent players. And that is, I am arguing, a content problem before it is a design problem. Where do people want to be? I love Neriak Forest but apparently I am in a niche market along with people who collect matchbooks.

Cybsled

The next evolution of MMOs already exists, it is just that people don't recognize them as such because they aren't "massive". Smaller server populations, more instanced session based gameplay is the current trend.

Subscription MMOs in the vein of WoW or FFXIV are definitely not the model anymore, both of which are based on what most on this board to consider the MMO model. Those games are successful, but the market is limited, much in the same way for streaming services (ie, people are only willing to pay so many recurring subscriptions). They rely very little on microtransactions and instead deliver a relatively steady stream of content for your monthly sub, dropping paid expansions every couple years or so. Outside the F2P crop of Asian MMOs that heavily rely on a p2w/microtransaction revenue model, you don't really see much "Traditional" MMOs anymore.

Shit like Destiny, The Division, Conan Exiles, Fallout 76, Anthem, etc are the "new" model. Lower server populations, more focus on "lobby to adventure" sessions, cosmetic microtransactions vs. p2w

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
And that's kind of what I want. I really enjoy Monster Hunter and I want more fantasy based kind of stuff. Maybe Blue Protocol will offer that. I miss big worlds and I dont mind exploring large maps with some danger and intrigue to them. Division 2 is really cool. I just wish I could play one of these games without having to shoot someone.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The next evolution of MMOs already exists, it is just that people don't recognize them as such because they aren't "massive". Smaller server populations, more instanced session based gameplay is the current trend.

Shit like Destiny, The Division, Conan Exiles, Fallout 76, Anthem, etc are the "new" model. Lower server populations, more focus on "lobby to adventure" sessions, cosmetic microtransactions vs. p2w
And almost all of them are not MMO, not because they have X or Y players, but because of what I explained before. Bartle may have wanted to use a different type of naming, but in the end, it all boils down to a qualitative difference, not a business/size one.

In a MMO, I can end up in, say, Shadowlands, and I see people doing quests to level their character, people completing World quest for gear, and someone slaughtering pigs to skin for crafting materials. All at the same time, all pursuing different objectives. Whereas, in a 128-player Battle Royale, you might have people trying to grief, people exploring the map for the first time, and all that, but, fundamentally, everyone who entered this location is there to "finish the map". That is how their game is framed, no matter how they distorted it.

There are a number of games that still have a tiny, little, bit of MMO aspect to them, but far and large, the modern gaming scene does not have MMOs, because the designers "know" they have to offer specific, discrete, obvious objectives all the time, and they can't be arsed to design a game in which those objectives exist all at the same time.

I mean... how often do you stumble on a different party trying to do something unrelated to your mission in Anthem? That alone tells you if Anthem is a "MMO".
(I have to confess I haven't even tried to play Anthem, because nothing in the game interests me. So, I'm operating from what I know)

The word you're looking for isn't MMO. It's "Live Service Games".

• 2Like

Cybsled

It's the type of game model. You have the Lobby->Instanced adventure games that are story driven to a degree (Destiny, Anthem, Monster Hunter, Division, etc) and you have the survival model that are open world, more sandbox in nature, and don't really have an 'end' (Conan, DayZ, 7 Days to Die), then you have some that try to mix up the model between the two types in an attempt to make it closer to a traditional MMO (Fallout 76).

• 1Like
Just to try to think about earliest case scenarios, and in terms of actually rolled out, well funded games, wasn't this SWTOR? It certainly wasn't p2w. Where exactly was the shared world? It was a few game components stapled together. A solo game + mp. But let me cut to my chase.

This simply isn't a persistent, shared world. If there isn't a persistent shared world it has left the system of game that resembles at all the mmorpg genre. Once we get to where we are talking about servers as lobbies, and sessions instead of "being online" simply vs not, it is a model that goes back to Quake and the many clones. PvP, teams, etc. It is not seeming we are talking about a "new" model here. To attain a genuine persistent world is the sine qua non. That's right. sin qua non
the modern gaming scene does not have MMOs, because the designers "know" they have to offer specific, discrete, obvious objectives all the time, and they can't be arsed to design a game in which those objectives exist all at the same time.

And that is the rub that creates the problem of why it is hard to develop a persistent world, right there. Everything has to be coded and staged, in a shared environment. If you click on an npc to ask a question, you do not go to a cut scene or instance where you personally chat with a long dialogue tree of who give a fuck. Only Baldur's Gate and it's clones gets to do that, b/c that's single player shit.

So, if you click an npc to ask a question, in a real persistent shared world, the person next to you will be able to tell you asked the npc a question, and maybe overhear the conversation. Because that is how fucking goddam reality works and that is another essential ingredient: these games have to model real life in some way. Events happen in place x, anyone in place x can see it. You drop something, someone else can pick it up. You charm, equip, and superbuff a hostile npc in a newbie zone then gate out, those level 10's better figure out a plan or prepare to die a lot over the next half hour till the buffs run out.

But it must be incredibly hard to figure out how to actually do that. They have to create individual, highly complicated content ad objectives that never leave and so are always happening alongside of, the shared world with all the other players.

tl;dr. Session games are not a substitute for the "ideal" that might be dead now, but stranger things have happened, and it might be re-invented. It can happen. Session games are not persistent world games. And persistent world games require maximizing shared world persistence.

Shared world persistence then can lead to integral social interaction and cooperation and competition. But then we run into all those problems. Boxing. Griefing. Not enough content. What does one actually do in this world? I think certain old aspects are definitely dead: like EQ having basically, just grind exp till you can get to the end zones. Other than a few lucrative early tradeskills (like JC -- it was godly first year) that was what you did.

Clearly, we need to develop the "life" of the shared world persistence. You can do that like Eve does with all the sheer maintenance massive persistence in it requires.

But that is where the imaginative action is, is my argument. Market realities be damned, if you could create a shared world persistence people actually wanted to be in, they would come.

What's the "world"?

• 2Like

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I often think of a Final Fantasy Tactics style MMO and get incredibly angry at how many light years away from being possible something like that is. Then I remember the gold-rimmed, warm memories of EQ and think about how awesome it’d be to play MMOs again. Then I look at what’s available and get incredibly fucking depressed. Then I come here to post dumb shit and read threads like this and get even more depressed. I feel old as fuck.

I am truly kind of sad most gamers of the recent and future age will never experience things like we did with EQ, etc. you don’t know what you don’t know, I guess...oh well.

• 1Solidarity

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I wish Blizzard would take another stab at Titan.

I mean really, give me the world of Overwatch, completely open, with characters loosely modeled on the heroes of the first game. Allow for customization of skills and abilities using the established archetypes - scouts, brawlers, builders, tanks, healers, supports, and hybrids.

Put them in a world where they can fight enemies, explore, craft, infiltrate enemy information centers/strongholds, garner influence and build power with Talon/Overwatch/World Government.

The framework is there, the setting is unique, the aesthetic is appealing to many. Just needs investment and talent.

• 1Like
read threads like this and get even more depressed. I feel old as fuck
But it isn't our fault over time retardation creeps into everything. Like a surfer, you have to find the edge right in front of the curl of stupidification. I am glad others feel the same way b/c this pandemic is making it feasible to do a character, do a game, a guild, etc. But I'm sorry, I need better product. So, I develop other of my hobbies.

But this pandemic is such a wasted opportunity. The gaming industry is retarded. Niche = money if you can figure it out.

the mmorpg concept is not "old" in the sense of obsolete. It is simply not available or viable right now, for complicated reasons.

It's fantastic getting old. Imagine being some college kid in early 60's that heard Miles Davis Quintet at a club. Or saw the grateful dead before Keith and Donna left.

Or saw Blade Runner the summer it came out. Jeez, these are good things.

My mom is 77. She was alive when Jonas Salk discovered the polio vaccine. She was 8 or 9 when she got the shot. It was a "big deal." I got to speak to her about it. Which means, I have heard a trustworthy eye-witness account of what that historical moment was like.

Being part of ye olde earlie years of the internets is not that level, but culturally, all our age means, is not that we are old, but we are veterans. It's not our fault things get boring or dumb periodically. The millennials did squat except monetize a medium. Maybe the next gen will create some good stuff. Maybe not. Their loss.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users