2 years later... the almost sad state of MMOs in the new era

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is another game coming that fits the definition just fine.

It will have a monthly fee and 40 man raids. It even has a PvP model attached to it. This model includes a siege system. It is designed and being made in America and the person leading the development is actually using his money, along with what has been given via kickstarter for production. Now it might be over ambitious but if it manages to do 75% off what it states it will do, it will be worth it. The interesting thing is they start Alpha 1 phase in a few days for the first public playing of the game for those that bought that rank of kickstarter. They have set days for the following Alpha 1 stages going into next May. They have not advertised at all and yet in Guildwars 2 there are guilds like "Waiting on Ashes" that have formed.

You might want to check out the latest on Ashes of Creation. It seems to be moving along just fine and I know I will try it out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Screenshot_2020-12-14 Guilds.png

I'll run for mayor on the Free Bratwurst platform. 20 minute duration, stackable, +20 sta -20 AGI cold resist +50.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
its gotten so bad that people are messaging me about a league mmo

i will not be playing the league mmo, but best of luck to those that do. and its been a while since ive seen ghostcrawler, best of luck to him too

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A LOL MMO would be really cool looking, Im sure. Some of that lore is all to interesting to not read. But on the other side of that coin - how they are going to mesh all that shit into one universe is going to be a huge hurdle.

• 1Truth!

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Not that lore makes a damned bit of difference in any game, let alone an MMO, but a Markov chain text generator seeded with Pokemon fan fiction could produce a story more compelling than LoL's.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Not that lore makes a damned bit of difference in any game, let alone an MMO, but a Markov chain text generator seeded with Pokemon fan fiction could produce a story more compelling than LoL's.
I honestly didnt know LoL even had an overarching story? I just thought they were all just a million tiny stories centered around a handful of characters at a time.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I honestly didnt know LoL even had an overarching story? I just thought they were all just a million tiny stories centered around a handful of characters at a time.
It started out that way. They've been retconning old character lore into a more cohesive singular world for years.

• 1Truth!

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

They make such a great website. Everytime I visit it, I'm always impressed. /nerdthings

Seems as though they are definitely setting the stones down for an MMO or single player world, for sure.
noxus_warbands_01.jpg

Love some of the art, too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The LOL World is like, vaguely, there are several nation states with vastly different ideological positions all vying for control. With the two main ones being the nations of Demacia and Noxxus. Which are vaguely Arthurian and Roman Empire respectively.

Additionally you have Steampunk nation-states, Kung-Fu nation, spooky undead land, lost civilizations buried under stand, creeping Lovecraftian incursions, cutesy furry creatures, NEW Orleans inspired pirate town, the frozen north with trolls and barbarians, and whatever else.

It's actually quite ideal because the World part of the story is very vague with the only big lore focused heavily on the characters. Good bones for an MMO.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm not even sure where to post this.

But when Richard Garriot went to space in 2008, the fucker smuggled some of James Doohan's (Star Trek's Scotty) ashes and hid them under the proverbial floorboards.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Unfortunately Dickard was beamed back down to the planet afterwards and not into the sun.

• 1Like
That Ashes game, it just seems in this alpha testing of various modules of the game. That is dangerous. I tried to play SWTOR. It was two separate worlds. It made no sense. I honestly did not "get" whee I was at, gamewise.

Oh sure the game was lore signalling (TM!) right and left, but that's themes of areas and graphics. The game is not me pretending to be a dashing ...

I can't think about SWTOR. It was built by demented toddlers.

Maybe May for Ashes. I need to know what is the total game. I do not want add-a-module bs.

• 1Like

Daidraco

That Ashes game, it just seems in this alpha testing of various modules of the game. That is dangerous. I tried to play SWTOR. It was two separate worlds. It made no sense. I honestly did not "get" whee I was at, gamewise.

Oh sure the game was lore signalling (TM!) right and left, but that's themes of areas and graphics. The game is not me pretending to be a dashing ...

I can't think about SWTOR. It was built by demented toddlers.

Maybe May for Ashes. I need to know what is the total game. I do not want add-a-module bs.
Were you drinking?

What do you mean by add ons? Sort of like Guild Wars 2 where you purchase a new section of the story every so often? Or expansions as a whole for most other mmo's? Or simply stating that the development path being shown in Ashes is segmented into chunks of content that are specific to themselves?

• 1Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Were you drinking?

What do you mean by add ons? Sort of like Guild Wars 2 where you purchase a new section of the story every so often? Or expansions as a whole for most other mmo's? Or simply stating that the development path being shown in Ashes is segmented into chunks of content that are specific to themselves?
Pay no attention to him. But he once saved Alan Alda from a heart attack. (Hes an open heart surgeon).

• 1Like

Octave

Trakanon Raider
I had the same feeling when trying out SWTOR years after it's prime.

Most (all?) MMOs fall into this issue. They stack system upon system. When a new player starts playing, they get a bag full of 'free loot!' that seems completely useless. They're thrown into some random story and not told about the layer upon layer of systems that the player casually encounters. Some systems are super important for progression, others are dead ends. Which one to choose? Better google about it.

Playing an old MMO is like navigating an enterprise software system. A lot of useless paths from years ago and some new stuff tacked on which maybe is the stuff you want but you're not sure. Reminds me of netsuite or some ungodly SAP thing.

Maybe most MMOs lack longevity because of mistakes here. If the developers were better about curating, removing, and including past content, they'd have a lot more long term survivability. Churn happens. But if you can onboard new players reasonably well, you can do a lot to make up for it. They're utterly failing at that as it is now.

• 5Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
When TOR added the "family" system it was already too many systems. WOW does this well by nuking nearly every new system each expansion, but also kills some of the good systems that should just be expanded upon, instead of being fully removed, or worse, minimized or made more annoying.

The new "intro" system they added that babies you, but also not at the same time is exceptionally stupid. Stop pretending your game is made for bottom feeding morons, then once they get past that the game fucks grandma in the ass.

• 1Like