2012 NFL Season

mcnuttz_sl

shitlord
They needed to get better CBs, regardless of scheme. Good cornerbacks can play in a Tampa 2, even if it was designed originally to cover for players weak at man coverage. What did you think of the Bears corners this year?

Plus, the percentage they actually will use the base tampa-2 is like 25%. Kiffin can make use of Carr and Claibourne.
They may have needed better corners, but they didn't have to pay the highest free agent corner and trade the top part of the draft to fill their corner needs.

Bad management

mcnuttz_sl

shitlord
Already touched on but good corners aren't something that's specific to a scheme. The type of play they do might be different (press versus coverage), but it's all about trying to prevent passes. In this passing NFL, a scheme like the Tampa-2 might be preferred. The Cowboys have the personnel. Here, I'll run down the list:

Ratliff - From NT to DT, but won't move out of his 1-technique spot.
Hatcher - From DE to DT, but won't move from his 3-technique spot.
Ware - From WSOLB to WSDE, will be coming from the same spot but from having his hand on the ground, which actually would be preferable. Ryan put him too much into coverage.
Spencer - From SSOLB to SSDE, something he already did in the Nickle so it's not a huge adjustment.
Lee - From MLB to MLB, anyone who's been paying attention to this team knows Lee is going to thrive in this scheme.
Carter - From MLB to WSLB, someone else who'll thrive in this scheme.
Albright - From LB to SSLB, one question mark but given he'll be on the strong side he won't be asked to do too much.
Carr - CB to CB, already touched on corners.
Claiborne - CB to CB, and again.
Church - SS to RS, his return will increase play in the secondary and he's more than capable of getting the job done.
Sensabaugh - FS to LS, not a big change.

The shift won't be as big as people think. If anything, the personnel are maybe one LB short of being perfect. Spencer is a big ? and I don't think he'll be back next year because of the cap issues, but finding DEs for a 4-front defense isn't nearly as hard as finding someone to shift to a 3-4 OLB. Should probably note that since the switch to the 3-4, Dallas hasn't really been lighting it up. With the exception of the 2009 team, which was 2nd in the league in points against, they've all been pretty mediocre. Maybe a switch back to 4-3 type will be good. Oh, and Ryan wasn't who Garrett wanted. He wanted Horton out of Arizona. Ryan was a Jerry "splash" hire.
Nice take, but I'd let Ratliff and Spencer go.

No sense getting into a bidding war for Spencer, who finally showed what kind of OLB he can be. I'd be leery of trying him out at DE now, although he is very stout against the run. He'll get grossly overpaid by a 3-4 team.

Ratliff's best days were years ago. I'm not a Jerry fan by any means, but you can't put up with the crap he pulled.

As far as the Ryan hire not being a Garrett move...I buy that, and that's just another reason that we have the shittiest GM in sports. Let your HC build his staff and gtfo the way. Now he's having to change up again because Jerry's plan didn't work.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
They may have needed better corners, but they didn't have to pay the highest free agent corner and trade the top part of the draft to fill their corner needs.

Bad management
Yes it was bad management, Jenkins would have been there in the first when they picked even if they had dropped back to acquire more picks and while I think Mo did a good job its obvious who had the better year. Personally I hope they go with 2 OL in the first round to protect Romo and then defense the rest of the way with Tyrann Matthieu or however you spell it in the 4th and would maybe go as far as taking him in the 3rd. I fully suspect the piss poor management to continue though and they will ignore the huge glaring hole that is our OL and go heavy on D when if healthy are D is sure as fuck better then what it showed this year as a Mash unit.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I think Ryan was the best DC they could of gotten 2 years ago, regardless. The guys Garrett wanted weren't available, and still aren't. Kiffin just happened to become available so they made the move - some people say there were Cowboys execs in Cali weeks ago so this move has been coming, if the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs.

Yes it was bad management, Jenkins would have been there in the first when they picked even if they had dropped back to acquire more picks and while I think Mo did a good job its obvious who had the better year. Personally I hope they go with 2 OL in the first round to protect Romo and then defense the rest of the way with Tyrann Matthieu or however you spell it in the 4th and would maybe go as far as taking him in the 3rd. I fully suspect the piss poor management to continue though and they will ignore the huge glaring hole that is our OL and go heavy on D when if healthy are D is sure as fuck better then what it showed this year as a Mash unit.
They have done a pretty good job with the draft since Garrett has had more say. Compared to the 2007-2009 drafts which were beyond awful (no starters, and like 3 backups still on team) - they have drafted Sean Lee, Dez, Bruce Carter, Tyron Smith, Murray, and Claibourne which so far have been as advertised or way better than they dreamed (Lee, Carter, Dez).

Definitely need to draft more linemen on both side this year though.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Nice take, but I'd let Ratliff and Spencer go.

No sense getting into a bidding war for Spencer, who finally showed what kind of OLB he can be. I'd be leery of trying him out at DE now, although he is very stout against the run. He'll get grossly overpaid by a 3-4 team.

Ratliff's best days were years ago. I'm not a Jerry fan by any means, but you can't put up with the crap he pulled.

As far as the Ryan hire not being a Garrett move...I buy that, and that's just another reason that we have the shittiest GM in sports. Let your HC build his staff and gtfo the way. Now he's having to change up again because Jerry's plan didn't work.
Ratliff is either traded (not likely with his contract) or playing on this team to much money to let the guy go. Spencer I agree with you, let the man go he will want more then we can afford and there will be cheaper players who are just as good and proven 4-3 rushers. Hell Paul Kreuger would be cheaper then Spencer and I would love to see that happen.

I would also cut Sensabaugh and hope for Eric Ried in the 3rd or TJ McDonald.

I wish JG would be fired already, fuck him.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I think Ryan was the best DC they could of gotten 2 years ago, regardless. The guys Garrett wanted weren't available, and still aren't. Kiffin just happened to become available so they made the move - some people say there were Cowboys execs in Cali weeks ago so this move has been coming, if the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs.

They have done a pretty good job with the draft since Garrett has had more say. Compared to the 2007-2009 drafts which were beyond awful (no starters, and like 3 backups still on team) - they have drafted Sean Lee, Dez, Bruce Carter, Tyron Smith, Murray, and Claibourne which so far have been as advertised or way better than they dreamed (Lee, Carter, Dez).

Definitely need to draft more linemen on both side this year though.
The draft has been better no doubt but lets not pretend there weren't better options then Mo and giving up our 2nd round pick, a pick that could have been used on the OL.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Also if JG is the one behind the recent drafts even with how much I dislike the Mo decision, then make that man the fucking GM, but please for the love of god get him off the sidelines.

mcnuttz_sl

shitlord
I've been wanting the OL to be addressed for years, but the bottom line is that Jerry doesn't understand the OL.

I fully suspect the piss poor management to continue until Jerry's death, where his son Stephen will hopefully hire a GM. Chances are, though, that the longer Jerry lives the longer he has to show his boy all he knows...

While I didn't always agree with Rob Ryan, he held the injured defense together fairly well. Not sure whether it was Jerry or Garrett's decisions, but Rob got the shaft.

mcnuttz_sl

shitlord
The draft has been better no doubt but lets not pretend there weren't better options then Mo and giving up our 2nd round pick, a pick that could have been used on the OL.
Imagine if they would have gone after Carl Nicks as hard as they did Carr.

Then instead of trading away your 1st and 2nd picks for Claiborne, there was a bevy of OL talent in the first couple rounds.

Now that offense would have definitely been on the road to being Romo-friendly.

mcnuttz_sl

shitlord
Also if JG is the one behind the recent drafts even with how much I dislike the Mo decision, then make that man the fucking GM, but please for the love of god get him off the sidelines.
I wouldn't mind Garrett as the HC so much if he wasn't also the damned OC.

Leave it to the frikkin GM/owner/wannabeHC/salesman to encourage his HC to pull double duty, just like he did with Wade.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
How is it our fault there is more then 2 Dallas fans on this site that actively post while the vast majority of the rest of the members can be spread out through teams and not go higher then 2. Get more fans cry babies.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Make another thread. Circlejerk away there. People will still drop in to insult you, they'll just not have to read 20 straight pages of Cowboy insider drivel without wanting to.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Grimm is just sad the only time anyone brings up the Steelers is when someone on the team is getting into legal issues.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been wanting the OL to be addressed for years, but the bottom line is that Jerry doesn't understand the OL.

I fully suspect the piss poor management to continue until Jerry's death, where his son Stephen will hopefully hire a GM. Chances are, though, that the longer Jerry lives the longer he has to show his boy all he knows...

While I didn't always agree with Rob Ryan, he held the injured defense together fairly well. Not sure whether it was Jerry or Garrett's decisions, but Rob got the shaft.
Stephen already is the GM...

Grimm is just jealous of America's team. They should just redo the American flag with the Dallas star and Dallas blue.