2013 NFL Playoffs

I can buy into that "shouldn't have let it be that close", but sometimes it will be that close. I do think they were pretty consistent with letting them play all game, but I can also totally understand Niners fans being upset about 4th and goal last chance and having a non call in that important of a spot. It is what it is though.
Indeed. Now if the Niners defense had done anything right in the first half or Kaepernick hadn't had his football IQ dribble out his ears a couple of times then it wouldn't matter. That lost the game more then anything the refs did. If you put your fate in the hands of a third party in sports then prepare to be fucked.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Indeed. Now if the Niners defense had done anything right in the first half or Kaepernick hadn't had his football IQ dribble out his ears a couple of times then it wouldn't matter. That lost the game more then anything the refs did. If you put your fate in the hands of a third party in sports then prepare to be fucked.
This is how I felt when the Seahawks lost.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Agree with this 100%.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Wouldn't have been happy with the outcome either way. Didn't want SF to get 6 and didn't want Ray to get a second ring. I guess I'll be happy Ed Reed got one.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
You can say all you want that in the first half if the SF D did this or Kaepernick did that then the refs calls shouldn't have mattered anyway, that's bullshit. Pretty sure Baltimore got a fucked up PI to keep a drive alive yet SF doesn't get the same call? It wasn't Seahawks/Steelers bad but it was pretty fucking bad. The ref couldn't even signal the right way for gods sakes.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Was a fun game and I won a grand off 1-6 +5 in the 2nd quarter, It seemed to me that the Ravens tried to make Kaepernick beat them in the first half (shutting the run down) and when he did something besides fuck up it just opened up everything for them and allowed them to make a game of it.

Renault

N00b
I don't understand the mentality of not calling penalties because they could decide the outcome of a game. I think it makes a lot more sense to have it be a black and white issue where you call every legit penalty so you don't back yourself into a grey area of well we let that one go earlier so I guess we let this one go this time etc.

That said the Niners did not do themselves any favors by starting out so utterly flat in the first half and it's pretty tough to get very worked up about what could have been with that final drive when they put themselves in such a huge hole to start with.

The Kaepernick hate seems a little over the top considering how little time he's actually had on the field versus his overall performance level. Came back from a big deficit against the Falcons and then almost made an even bigger comeback against the Ravens; yeah he threw one pick and probably should have tried running it on that final push but that's not entirely up to him and it doesn't help that the highly touted Niner's defense has been so flaky the last couple games. I'm just glad they have what looks like a very high level talent at QB for the long term after having to work with Smith for so long.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Oh, well. Good game. Hopefully we draft Leon Sandcastle. Still more Super Bowl trophies than the Packers, so at least there is that.

Can't wait to see all the Ravens fans now, especially when there wasn't one for miles around in my city.

Also not buying the SF butthurt over the non-call in the end zone there. You want to win the Super Bowl? Don't spend the first half limping around with your dicks in your hands. SB 47 did not even resemble a close game until the bizarre 35 minute power outage helped take the Ravens offense off the field for approx 90 minutes...let's not get carried away with the excuses here.

Having said that, thanks NFL for exhibit #726,122 on why pass interference and WR/DB contact in general are totally fucked. I dunno the specific mechanics of fixing it, but the league has to do something to make this a less subjective call...like somehow standardize what kind of contact should draw a flag. I mean, it pretty much varies over each and every officiating crew and seems to pop up at the worst times, like the end of the Super Bowl. In this case I think Harbaugh was looking for a hold, which is slightly less subjective, but still.

IMO the worst thing the officials did was fail to eject the Ravens player after a clear two-handed shove on an official. I thought that was a zero tolerance, not open to discretion kind of thing. Herp derp.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
lol @ niners fans crying they didn't get that call. you don't get to win the super bowl on an ambiguous penalty like that. regardless, the ball was overthrown and not catchable.

Cybsled

Well, it's kinda hard to catch the football when you have a 250+ pound guy clinging to you the whole time. Assuming his speed wasn't fucked by that, it was entirely possible it could have been caught.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Limichael James fumble really hurt the Niners. If they even get a field goal its a different game. then you let Jones return one right after the half, which decreased their win probability by like 40%.

Either way, it was an exciting Super Bowl. We dont get many, so Im glad for that. The problem is the 49ers will never get that one back. Even if they win it all next year, the 2012 season will always hurt in ways you cant relieve.

The Culliver PI was disgusting though. I dont give a fuck what you guys or anyone says. The Niners got jobbed on that call. Its still their fault they let the game come down to some bad calls though. By all mens the 49ers should have won comfortably if they dont turn the ball over and lose special teams. Thats football 101 and they failed. I do think they can be a better team for it though. Harbaugh has earned a TON of fucking experience in his first TWO years as a head football coach. Add in his brothers experience which he will feed off of and next year looks promising.

You figure, you have Kaepernick at QB, if he avoids injury the guy is easily a top 5 QB going forward. You got Rodgers at #1, Brady at #2, Brees at #3, Matt Ryan at #4 and Kaeperbro at #5. Peyton lurks in there somewhere obviously, but he is going to be what, 38? You also have Flacco, Eli, Russel Wilson, Luck, CUTLER (shout out to my boy Araysar) and a couple others (like ALEX SMITH) that could hang around in the top 10 but even with the loss Kaeperbro threw for 300 yards with 2 scores and almost 90 yards rushing. IN THE SUPERBOWL. In his TENTH START.

Bowman and Willis will be back. Both Smiths will be back. Goldson will be back. Not sure on everyone else but the core D will be there. My only concern is RB as James is kind of garbage. Gore has another year or two in him but he is in the twilight years now. So, fuck it, if Steve Young lost two heartbreaking games before climbing the mountain, maybe the Niners it will be third times a charm under Harbaugh.

Thats what I hope anyway -_-