2013 NFL Season

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why bring him in as a backup? Are you guys seriously going to say that QB's like Mark Sanchez, Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Christian Ponder, Matt Flynn, RG3, Crapernick, Josh Freeman, etc. who can't manage to win games on teams that actually have good players deserve the start over someone who took a terrible (what were they, 1-7) Broncos team to the playoffs? What did Tebow lose, 1 game as a starter? Denver even intentionally tried to make Tebow fail but he still carried their asses.
Someone said we have good players! /swooon

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Lol which team is your team? Also, don't get so excited. The general consensus is i'm retarded and a meth-head so my opinion might not be worth much.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
It's also popular in high school because there will usually be 1 or 2 kids in an entire district that might have a chance at going pro or being somebody in college and that's it.
Yep, the best player on the field in high school is the average player in college, and the best player on the field in college is average, at best, in the NFL.

QBs can get away with all sorts of things at lesser levels because they are virtually a man among boys out there. You try that crap at the NFL level and you will quickly get your head handed to you. (Also why evaluating college QBs is so tricky, because the footage is essentially against worse-than-NFL-scout-teams.)

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yep, the best player on the field in high school is the average player in college, and the best player on the field in college is average, at best, in the NFL.

QBs can get away with all sorts of things at lesser levels because they are virtually a man among boys out there. You try that crap at the NFL level and you will quickly get your head handed to you. (Also why evaluating college QBs is so tricky, because the footage is essentially against worse-than-NFL-scout-teams.)
What's that you say?

It's funny to watch that now, if this happened last sunday Ike Taylor would be suspended for a game probably, where as I don't even think he was fined for that.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Perfect example IMO is that 400lb highschool runningback that got linked on one of the forums recently. Of course he's going to get the ball every play that he's capable of moving and not busy eating his 17 dinners. I'll stop watching football the day I see a 400lb runningback in the pros tho (unless he's like 8'8", then i'll bandwagon like a motherfucker for that team).

I still cringe thinking about the Pat White hit and I didn't even have to rewatch it just now haha.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Never thought i'd see the day when I had to call a fellow Patriots fan a moron.
Wait, I thought you lived in Florida?

What's that you say?

It's funny to watch that now, if this happened last sunday Ike Taylor would be suspended for a game probably, where as I don't even think he was fined for that.
Yeah, it's interesting to look at the difference in attitudes years back. Get a concussion? Well, let's just glue a bunch of foam to your helmet.

DSC06601.JPG

I had thought for years that they added the foam because of the way Lanier tackled, but I learned later that after he had his first concussion that he completely changed the way he tackled so as not to have head contact. They added the padding after that season as a precaution but it wasn't much of a factor since he tried to avoid head to head contact after that, and he said he kept it because he liked how the helmet looked.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's also popular in high school because there will usually be 1 or 2 kids in an entire district that might have a chance at going pro or being somebody in college and that's it. There is nobody who can shut them down so the gameplan becomes "give him the ball and we win". College is obviously a step up from high school but it's still the same thing happening for the most part. The few good ones just shred everybody else because they have a shot at being a professional whereas the other 99% have no chance in hell.
This is true. Will Hill went to my high school, he plays for the Giants now, and he literally just outran everyone on the fucking football field. He played safety so he'd intercept anything damn well near him, and he played "QB," which was more like throw 5 passes a game to WIDE open receivers, otherwise run around a lot and just gas everyone. And this was against top fucking competition, as Prep plays outside a lot of games outside of NJ as well as having huge rivalries with Don Bosco and Bergen Catholic. Nothing like the south (looking at you Alabama and Texas), but pretty damn good.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are you old enough to remember William 'The Fridge' Perry?
The crazy thing is, the Fridge was only 300lbs. He just seemed HUGE back in the 80s because most lineman were like 270, 280, up in that range. I think he was maybe the first starting D-lineman in the league that was over 300lbs. Nowadays, that's undersized for an interior D-lineman or any O-line position outside of center.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Also, for the record, Gods Gift to QBs Alex Smith has run the read option with Jamaal Charles multiple times this year. It's not something the Chiefs regularly do, but they might bust it out once a game.

I see the read option as being just like the Wildcat was about 5 years ago. Something a little gimmicky that might work once or twice a game, but definitely not something that would work as your primary offense in the NFL

Gravy

Bronze Squire
The crazy thing is, the Fridge was only 300lbs. He just seemed HUGE back in the 80s because most lineman were like 270, 280, up in that range. I think he was maybe the first starting D-lineman in the league that was over 300lbs. Nowadays, that's undersized for an interior D-lineman or any O-line position outside of center.
Wiki (which isalwaysaccurate) listed him at 335lbs. What amazed me though, was his Superbowl ring size. 25. Jeezus.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Also, for the record, Gods Gift to QBs Alex Smith has run the read option with Jamaal Charles multiple times this year. It's not something the Chiefs regularly do, but they might bust it out once a game.

I see the read option as being just like the Wildcat was about 5 years ago. Something a little gimmicky that might work once or twice a game, but definitely not something that would work as your primary offense in the NFL
Yeah, when I said it was dead I didn't mean it would never be used successfully again, but it's not going to be the basis of anyone's offense the way it was last year. I don't think we'll see a QB run for 175 yards in this year's playoffs.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
7-5... on a team with literally nobody on offense. 8-6 if you count the playoffs like he said.
Wizardhawk_sl said:
Let's totally ignore shit like him having the worst offense in the league, no recievers, no running backs, etc.
Ehhhhhhh, do you remember who caught the bubble screen and beat every single Pittsburgh defender? That was Demaryius Thomas. They also had Eric Decker. And Brandon Lloyd. And Julius Thomas. And Knowshon Moreno. And a still decent Willis McGahee. And their defense was really good and kept them in games when the offense scored 6 points for 3 1/2 quarters. All the weapons that people gush over Peyton having? Yeah Tebow had all of them, minus Welker. Plus a better defense. Nice revisionist history.

2011 Denver Broncos Statistics Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Hey you know that guy who was the qb for the worst offense in the league? You know, the guy that wasn't good enough to replace Sanchez? It's bullshit he's not starting right now.