2013 NFL Season

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
That's fucking awesome. I really enjoyed watching the game. Also glad that the Eagles decided not to plow the field like the Ravens did, as it made for a much sloppier game.
I'm not sure if it it would even be possible to plow the field without making it more of a mess. It's not artificial. Would probably tear up the turf or create huge ruts. This snow wasn't predicted at all. I ended up buying a blanket, scarf, gloves & feet warmers. lol. Spent an extra $100 because of the weather but the game was worth it. I only go to 1 game a year and somehow I always go to the coldest ones. Eagles vs 49rs in 2009 was right after a huge blizzard, TONS more snow but they had time to clear the field at least, the seats still had 1ft+ snow on them.

There werent as many snowballs during this game as there were in 2009, either, although the Lions were getting pegged by a few anytime they were near an endzone.

Cybsled

Ya, you really can't plow on grass with a vehicle w/o destroying the grass. They could have used snowblowers, but it would have taken an army of them.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
further reports are Gronk is done for the year. MRI today but almost all reports are ACL.

with 3 minutes left in the Patriots game i was like, ok they lost and went grocery shopping... figures they'd win.

this year in playoffs they could make the SB, but i am thinking probably championship game at most. injuries- especially on Defense- have hurt their chances a lot this year.

Irongut_sl

shitlord
The Snow Bowl produced some really great photos.

rrr_img_52711.jpg

rrr_img_52710.jpg

rrr_img_52712.jpg

rrr_img_52713.jpg

Irongut_sl

shitlord
They didn't clear the field at halftime because NFL rules state you can not modify the field during the game.

Also, even if they could have, there would be nowhere to pile it without interfering with the sidelines or blocking the view for the crowd.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I am still really confused by the flag on the blocked punt during the 49ers game. The 49ers block the punt, the ball is bouncing around, and the kicker (or someone on the Seahawks) smacks the ball forward like 15 yards or so, and they throw the flag. However, it sounded like if the 49ers wanted to accept the penalty it was going to be a re-kick? Instead they ended up taking the ball where it went out of bounds like 15 yards further up the field.

Did anyone see clarification on that? Seems odd to me that you can simply negate a large part of a blocked punt by moving the ball forward illegally. It is possible that I completely missed the call, but that is how it seemed.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Moreno has 10 rushing, it was players with 10 or more TD's, not just receiving
Ah, thanks. That must have been it.

They didn't clear the field at halftime because NFL rules state you can not modify the field during the game.

Also, even if they could have, there would be nowhere to pile it without interfering with the sidelines or blocking the view for the crowd.
Yeah, Mike Perierra mentioned that in the Eagles/Lions game. But I switched over to the Ravens game briefly and saw that they had cleared theirs completely at halftime. Thought it was strange that his information was contradicted in a simultaneous game. They also had plowed between the hashes during the 2nd quarter in that one, I believe.

And I agree with Itlan. The refs have been terrible all season, not just yesterday.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am still really confused by the flag on the blocked punt during the 49ers game. The 49ers block the punt, the ball is bouncing around, and the kicker (or someone on the Seahawks) smacks the ball forward like 15 yards or so, and they throw the flag. However, it sounded like if the 49ers wanted to accept the penalty it was going to be a re-kick? Instead they ended up taking the ball where it went out of bounds like 15 yards further up the field.

Did anyone see clarification on that? Seems odd to me that you can simply negate a large part of a blocked punt by moving the ball forward illegally. It is possible that I completely missed the call, but that is how it seemed.
It makes sense. No clear possession is given at that point, so it would be ruled as if the punting team HAD possession and committed the penalty. Ideally the defensive team would recover the blocked punt, if the kicking team has time to pickup the ball and throw it down field or kick it an extra 15 yards, then you need to start working on fumble drills in practice.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The kicking team isn't allowed to advance the ball after the kick unless someone from the receiving team has touched it. The fact that this kick only happened to go 2 feet doesn't change that. I didn't understand that situation either.

I guess maybe since the blocker touched it then it's a live ball after that? So the kicker could have a punt blocked and then pick it up and run it for a first down theoretically? I still don't understand the idea of scooping it up and flinging it downfield though.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
The kicking team isn't allowed to advance the ball after the kick unless someone from the receiving team has touched it. The fact that this kick only happened to go 2 feet doesn't change that. I didn't understand that situation either.

I guess maybe since the blocker touched it then it's a live ball after that? So the kicker could have a punt blocked and then pick it up and run it for a first down theoretically? I still don't understand the idea of scooping it up and flinging it downfield though.
Everyone remembers Leon Lett right?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Field goal works differently since you get the ball wherever the kicker kicked from if he misses or gets blocked, barring the defense trying to return it. The Leon Lett thing isn't really comparable.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>

I can actually see them scooping it up and running with it, because that is a legal play. However, if they illegally toss it downfield it just doesn't make much sense to me that is where the ball is spotted. If anything it should be put back to where the penalty was.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
What I don't understand about the blocked punt is, can you not be called for running/roughing into the kicker if you block a punt? Guy totally goes into the punter's plant leg, shouldn't that be a penalty?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
What I don't understand about the blocked punt is, can you not be called for running/roughing into the kicker if you block a punt? Guy totally goes into the punter's plant leg, shouldn't that be a penalty?
The kicker can get blown up if someone blocks a kick. You can even tackle a punter or holder if the ball is still in his hands when you get there.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
further reports are Gronk is done for the year. MRI today but almost all reports are ACL.

with 3 minutes left in the Patriots game i was like, ok they lost and went grocery shopping... figures they'd win.

this year in playoffs they could make the SB, but i am thinking probably championship game at most. injuries- especially on Defense- have hurt their chances a lot this year.
Confirmed ACL and MCL tears.

Damn shame too. He is a real talent, but can never stay on the field.

Texans begin interviewing for their new HC.Fuck a bunch of Whisenhunt. I'm sure more names will be tossed into the hat as well once the season finishes.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I'm sure the blocked punt thing will be taken care of in the off season. I have no idea why they had to decline the penalty. It seems like they should have gotten the penalty yardage from the dead ball spot. AFAIK on punts you always have the option of penalty yardage from the dead ball spot or a rekick.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
So Redskins want to dump Shanahan and bring in Griffin's college coach from Baylor. The owner coddles this guy so much. The coach will be working for the qb.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm sure the blocked punt thing will be taken care of in the off season. I have no idea why they had to decline the penalty. It seems like they should have gotten the penalty yardage from the dead ball spot. AFAIK on punts you always have the option of penalty yardage from the dead ball spot or a rekick.
It wouldn't make sense to give them the penalty yardage from the spot, because there was no guarntee they would recover the ball. It can be advanced as it was touched by the receiving team, they blocked it, if you block a kick and it flies 10 yards and the kicking team grabs it, that's a first down.