2013 NFL Season

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
I'm a 49ers fan. Switching to Kaepernick was the right move. Doesn't mean I root against Alex Smith or blame him for the teams near decade long struggles. We were really bad at a lot of positions for a really long time. He earned my respect when he organized and led team activities during the 2011 lockout (when coaches couldn't work with their teams) even though there was no certainty the 49ers would be offering him a contract after the lockout ended. And of course with his great play in the Saints playoff game. 49ers fans who bash and root against Alex Smith (for justification of Kaepernick or any other reason) have their right to their opinion, but I think they they are in the minority.

and with kaepernick passing barely over 3,000 yards in 16 games in his 2nd season, who is carrying him?
Because total passing yards tells the whole story, mirite?

Here are some regular season stats of the 5 playoff QBs from this year with 300 or more rushing yards in the regular season. Can you pick out Kaepernick from Luck, Wilson, Smith and Newton?

QB A
TD: 6.39%
INT: 2.21%
YPA: 8.25
539 rushing yards, 1 TDs

QB B
TD: 4.53%
INT: 1.38%
YPA: 6.52
431 rushing yards, 3 TDs

QB C
TD: 5.07%
INT: 2.75%
YPA: 7.14
585 rushing yards, 6 TDs

QB D
TD: 5.05%
INT: 1.92%
YPA: 7.69
524 rushing yards, 4 TDs

QB E
TD: 4.03%
INT: 1.58%
YPA: 6.71
377 rushing yards, 4 TDs

(A)Wilson, (B) Smith, (C)Newton, (D) Kaepernick, (E) Luck

As far as I'm concerned, there are 2 real legitimate knocks on Kaepernick this season.

1) His 58.4% completion percentage (which was a respectable 62% in games since Crabtree returned)
2) Too often he tried to force a throw or waited and got sacked instead taking off running. I call it RG3 syndrome. I feel like both players spent a lot of the season trying to prove to the media and fans and whoever else that they could be "traditional" passing QBs, and too often made bad throws or no throw when they could have been decent gains the ground easily. They have great running ability and need to take advantage of it when the opportunity is there.

By the way, Crabtree only played in 6 games and had the 3rd most receptions among TEs and WRs for the 49ers with 19. Kyle Williams is the only other to crack double digits and he isn't even on the team anymore. Any team in the NFL should be able to shut down the passing game of a team that only has 2 receiving threats.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
It's also sort of fucked that tomorrow the 9ers have to play at Lambeau at absolute zero when they are 12-4 and the Packers are 8-7-1
Winning the division should mean something. Want to play a playoff game at home? Don't lose 4 games when your division rival loses only 3

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
The 49ers are almost certainly fucked today. I just can't see people who spend the majority of their time in a temperate climate being able to adjust to Ice Bowl II level conditions. Game is going to be fucking hilarious to watch though, especially if it gets to -20 (pre-windchill) before kick off.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Winning the division should mean something. Want to play a playoff game at home? Don't lose 4 games when your division rival loses only 3
Why should it mean something? Why should the Packers have a huge advantage because they are in a division with 3 shitty teams? There are several teams that have been better than GB this year who didn't even make the playoffs because of the division that they are in. No one in the NFC North deserves to be in the playoffs this year, let alone hosting a game.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Why should it mean something? Why should the Packers have a huge advantage because they are in a division with 3 shitty teams? There are several teams that have been better than GB this year who didn't even make the playoffs because of the division that they are in. No one in the NFC North deserves to be in the playoffs this year, let alone hosting a game.
The argument really isn't as cut and dry as you're making it. There are plenty of seasons in where teams across an entire division are going to have a shitty record because they're straight up playing much stronger teams than another division might be. Strength of schedule is a big deal.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because that would be uber fucking boring for many people. Its part of parity. Your team and my team and his team have greater chances to compete any given year due to the way the NFL is set up. This is part of their wild success and its not going anywhere. The thing is you don't actually care other than the fact that it has put SF at a disadvantage right now. If they win today you will quickly stop giving two fucks because it won't effect you again this year. Its like Saints fans bitching about going to under .500 Seattle that one year. Get over it, only one team gets to secure home field advantage and you can lose on the road or at home any given week.

As for GB/NFCN specifically, Detroit was competitive for much of the season until their usual late collapse. The Bears had what, 11 wins last season but didn't get in? And they were in a final week showdown with GB to determine the division. The Packers had to endure losing one of the best QB's in the game for multiple weeks and settling for a tie in a division game to get to this point. They earned it. Its not like they have a losing record.

You know who had it softest of all? The AFC west, and we see the results in a three playoff team outcome. They played the AFC south and the NFC east. Easy street. If anything those scenarios should be more annoying than the division/playoff structure. KC had a soft road from scheduling plus their previous record, but it will revert to the mean somewhat next year.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The thing is you don't actually care other than the fact that it has put SF at a disadvantage right now. If they win today you will quickly stop giving two fucks because it won't effect you again this year.
Not true. It wasn't that long ago that the NFC West was the joke of the league and I was embarrassed that a fucking 7-9 team from the NFC West made the playoffs when there were much better teams sitting at home. If no team in a division goes at least 10-6 and there are teams with better records then they should lose their playoff slot.

Know why the Patriots keep losing superbowls? Because they make the playoffs every year due to being in a perpetually shit division and Tom Brady is good enough to get over in any given game so they wind up in the SB every 3 or 4 years despite the fact that they never field a complete team.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Not true. It wasn't that long ago that the NFC West was the joke of the league and I was embarrassed that a fucking 7-9 team from the NFC West made the playoffs when there were much better teams sitting at home. If no team in a division goes at least 10-6 and there are teams with better records then they should lose their playoff slot.

Know why the Patriots keep losing superbowls? Because they make the playoffs every year due to being in a perpetually shit division and Tom Brady is good enough to get over in any given game so they wind up in the SB every 3 or 4 years despite the fact that they never field a complete team.
They're in the Super Bowl because they have the best QB and coach in the NFL. That's it, it has nothing to do with divisions. The Patriots could be relocated to any division and they would win it year in and year out, they are head and shoulders above any team in the NFL, in terms of coaching, and quarterback play. That's all it takes in the NFL.

That is why any team in the past decade has won a Super Bowl, quarterbacks.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
They're in the Super Bowl because they have the best QB and coach in the NFL. That's it, it has nothing to do with divisions. The Patriots could be relocated to any division and they would win it year in and year out, they are head and shoulders above any team in the NFL, in terms of coaching, and quarterback play. That's all it takes in the NFL.

That is why any team in the past decade has won a Super Bowl, quarterbacks.

. In the last eight postseasons, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are 19-16 combined, with two Super Bowl titles.

. In the last eight postseasons, Mark Sanchez, Eli Manning, and Joe Flacco are 21-9 combined, with three Super Bowl titles.

Bill Simmons on the NFL playoffs - Grantland

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I only see a slight home field advantage for GB today. Sure, they are more used to the cold, but usually not this kind of cold.

Brothah's hate the cold. (I'm generalizing of course.)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I only see a slight home field advantage for GB today. Sure, they are more used to the cold, but usually not this kind of cold.

Brothah's hate the cold. (I'm generalizing of course.)
The argument that Green Bay has an advantage in the cold never made sense to me. It's not like once players move there they automatically become new people. What about all the fucking guys that grew up in the north and played high school or college ball for years in the cold? Do they no longer remember what that's like?

The cold makes everyone miserable equally...although let's be honest, black people probably hate it way more.

So you're saying that the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl because they are the best team in their division and are good enough to beat the other AFC playoff teams? That's a pretty astute observation. Have you contacted ESPN? With insight like this they'll want you on MNF for sure.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
. In the last eight postseasons, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are 19-16 combined, with two Super Bowl titles.

. In the last eight postseasons, Mark Sanchez, Eli Manning, and Joe Flacco are 21-9 combined, with three Super Bowl titles.

Bill Simmons on the NFL playoffs - Grantland
The historic playoff formula is running game and defense. In that system, one of the best QBs in the league is Alex Smith.

The larger trend that I think hasn't been investigated enough is if the NFL has turned into the NBA without our noticing - that to win, you need to get lucky at QB with an average or better player at a rookie draft scale, because a superstar QB doesn't leave you with enough salary to make a championship team. If Cam/Dalton/Kaep/Wilson/Luck win (or go most of the way), I expect to see a lot of coverage on that idea.