2013 NFL Season

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The part about Gruden killed me.

Some other Gruden quirks: He refers to third-down stops as "get-offs," which sounds vaguely sexual. Here's a deranged thing Gruden said:"People forget Luck didn't come into a great situation. He had to succeed a guy named Picket Manning. His coach had leukemia. But he went 11-5 and threw for 4,500 yards anyways. How do you top that?"Yes, he actually called Peyton Manning "Picket" (I'll ignore the bit about on-field accomplishments somehow mitigating his coach's cancer). Another real thing Gruden said:"The one thing I like about Toler and these Indianapolis corners, they are going to come right back the next down. They have no conscience."I don't think Gruden knows what a conscience is, which has troubling implications. He also makes up Olympic events:"I think this guy can be an Olympian acrobat."He makes terrible puns which come off as disjointed ramblings:"My old quarterback was Gannon. This is Glennon, he has a cannon."And my favorite Gruden backhanded compliment of all time:"Glennon has some surprising functional movement skills.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
That was a really interesting article. I'm surprised MNFL scored as well as it did.

Though this did not surprise me:

Here's an actual transcript of Siragusa talking on live television:

"Talked to coach Mark Trestman a ... about, you know, about he said to me I said you know this first half was pretty crazy, outrageous, he said as crazy and outrageous as it was, we're only down seven points."

This took approximately 30 seconds for him to say and provides no more insight than the scoreboard (which is far less obnoxious and doesn't breathe as loudly).

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Some of that shit seems really nitpicky. So Nessler says "partner" a lot, oh shit? I honestly can put up a lot of varying commentary until it gets so bad that we're talking Emmitt Smith level of incomprehensible or loud and obnoxious like Chris Berman.

A lot of people also dislike Collinsworth but I've always considered him the best on TV. If you really like in depth Xs and Os he's the guy to listen to. I guess he sounds like he's been boozing backstage sometimes, yeah.
Because he seems like a slimy little shit trying to sell you a used car and bang your old lady. But I agree he's actually one of the best.

It's also probably more nostalgia than anything, but I really miss Madden and Summerall. Even though he would say some of the most obvious things and had a creepy Favre crush.

Tea_sl

shitlord
We get a lot of Wilcots in Cincinnati, and I don't really disagree that he says a lot of really dumb things. On the whole though, I like better than a lot of color guys if for nothing else he is occasionally interesting while being mostly innocuous even when saying dumb things.

In direct opposition is Aikman, who doesn't say a lot of really dumb things. Instead it's an endless stream of meaningless word salad that I find far, far more abrasive than Wilcots questionable grasp of English and abysmal arithmetic.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Collinsworth and Michaels seem so much better than everyone else to me. Gruden, on the other hand, is awful.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love me some Collinsworth. I feel like I learn about football listening to him. He used to hate the 49ers because they beat him in the superbowl but I think he's over that now.

Actually Gruden says things that are educational as well in between his fake good old boy sayings and sounding like a raving lunatic.

My least favorite is Kenny Albert, but that may be partially because he used to call every 49er game during the bad old days when we sucked so bad that we always got the B-team.

It's been said before but I wish they would give you the option to hear the commentary from your local radio station synced to the game instead of the TV guys. It's way more fun IMO if the announcer is a homer for your team.

Sterling

El Presidente
Collinsworth is much better than he used to be. I swear it used to be every fucking play he'd make a comment about how it should be defensive pass interference.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love me some Collinsworth. I feel like I learn about football listening to him. He used to hate the 49ers because they beat him in the superbowl but I think he's over that now.

Actually Gruden says things that are educational as well in between his fake good old boy sayings and sounding like a raving lunatic.

My least favorite is Kenny Albert, but that may be partially because he used to call every 49er game during the bad old days when we sucked so bad that we always got the B-team.

It's been said before but I wish they would give you the option to hear the commentary from your local radio station synced to the game instead of the TV guys. It's way more fun IMO if the announcer is a homer for your team.

lol "The Catch 2" such a great moment for Terrel Owens but it's a play that should have never happened. Refs got the fumble call wrong earlier in the drive.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Personally think Collinsworth and Gruden have a weekly contest on who can get more tanked by the end of their respective games.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Jerry Jones On Why The NFL Is Like The Oregon Trail

rrr_img_53668.png

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's also probably more nostalgia than anything, but I really miss Madden and Summerall. Even though he would say some of the most obvious things and had a creepy Favre crush.
I think Madden would have scored a ton of infractions on that metric, but he managed to be entertaining and endearing while doing so. Not so for many of these guys, certainly not Dierdorf. And as mentioned, you can be good at what you do and still come across with negative charisma like Collinsworth.

I think Gruden is just the latest stop on the carousel of ESPN/MNF desperately trying to fabricate a new Madden. If someone is going to be the "new Madden" though its going to happen organically, not by design.

Gruden is starting to grow on me. Yeah he can be obnoxious, but he knows a hell of a lot about the game and is capable of explaining it in a way that makes sense while not being dumbed down. He also says some hilarious shit, intentional or not. You're right though, he's no Madden.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's grown on me too, but he still has his moments. This past Monday was pretty bad IMO. I really think ESPN has people under orders to be extra worked up and outlandish. I avoid television coverage outside of the games themselves as much as possible now, but I was watching some post game Monday night because Ravens. They had Scott, Young, Dilfer, Lewis doing this "stand around on the field" thing and they were clearly forcing themselves to be animated and in your face more than usual. Dilfer was pouring it on especially heavily and it just came across as contrived and annoying to me. You know he and Young would rather just sit in a chair, talk some X's and O's and maybe interview a key player. Its been obvious to me for a while that ESPN, and the other networks to a degree as well, just want over the top theatrics in their reporting. I'll stick to websites.

Gruden's schtick works well for the derpfest that is your typical Monday night game. He needs to dial it back when ESPN lucks into a decent game like this week.

Have no idea why y'all dont enjoy listening to Gruden.

It's funny, lighten the fuck up. Are you really depending on them to provide you your fantasy stats?

Buy an IPad.