2014 Oscars

Juvarisx

Florida
Here are the Oscar winners for Best Picture for the last 25-30 years (spoilered for size)

2012 - "Argo"
2011 - "The Artist"
2010 - "The King's Speech"
2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
2007 - "No Country for Old Men"
2006 - "The Departed"
2005 - "Crash"
2004 - "Million Dollar Baby"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
2000 - "Gladiator"
1999 - "American Beauty"
1998 - "Shakespeare in Love"
1997 - "Titanic"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"
1993 - "Schindler's List"
1992 - "Unforgiven"
1991 - "The Silence of the Lambs"
1990 - "Dances With Wolves"
1989 - "Driving Miss Daisy"
1988 - "Rain Man"
1987 - "The Last Emperor"
1986 - "Platoon"
1985 - "Out of Africa"
1984 - "Amadeus"

I've seen 16 of those, so not too bad, but it seems like pre 2000 it seemed to pick more popular movies. Still can't judge it too harshly, seems to be a decent mix of popular vs critically acclaimed and the only one that irks me being on that list is Crash, maybe Dances with Wolves.

I feel kinda old though for not having watched a single winner since 2007. I've got rips of em all, just never gotten around to watching em.
Shakespeare in Love showed the flaw in the process at the time when the Weinsteins basically stole it from Saving Private Ryan. After that there seemed to be less outside interference when it came to best picture at any rate or in the very least more consistency. Became more about who deserved it rather then the big picture of the year. King's Speech actually was an exceptional film that I haven't met anyone who didn't at least enjoy it should definitely try that one, and I assume you saw No Country For Old Men or what the hell is wrong with you.

As for 2003, RoTK beat out Lost In Translation, Mystic River, Master and Commander and Seabiscuit. Many felt that one of the previous two probably deserved it more (Two Towers in particular) so this was their reward for making 3 great movies, personally I enjoyed Lost in Translation MORE, but it was purely due to Murray (who was also robbed that year)

Jobitz_sl

shitlord
I'd prefer to have the Acting Oscars go to actors I can't stand. Let the Oscar curse take care of them ad force 'em into making more Snow Dogs movies.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wow, how did rush not get nominated for shit. Easily one of my favorite movies last year. The guy who played lauda was incredible

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Watched Her, Wolf of Wallstreet, and Dallas Buyers Club over this last week. Her blew my mind, Wolf of Wallstreet was alright, and Dallas Buyers Club put me to sleep. Pretty shit movie. Matthew McConaughey sucked his character straight out of Christian Bale's cock.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I think 12 Years A Slave will get the best picture, director and actor. I liked Wolf of Wall Street, and Gravity was amazing to look at, but 12 Years will stay with me a while.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
2003 must have been shit for movies if Return of the King won
BEST PICTURE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
LOST IN TRANSLATION
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

That's a pretty legit list. I think The Hobbit movies have clouded your memories that the franchise was once groundbreaking. Return of the King won 11 Oscars that year.

Wow, how did rush not get nominated for shit. Easily one of my favorite movies last year. The guy who played lauda was incredible
I don't know either. I've only seen Wolf of Wallstreet and Gravity out of the major nominees, but Rush was probably my favorite of the year.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No nomination for Rush is a shame and enough of a reason to not watch the ceremony this year again. I will prolly switch channels after the red carpet show (watching out for slip ups) as usual.
Also Gravity for Director and Cinematography imho.

Regarding Crash... wasnt that the movie who just beeing released still tanked during the award season and they decided to throw it an oscar just for box office reasons (and the whole lotta cast didnt get a lol flop movie actor slashing)? Think that was the one, seen on free tv and i couldnt grasp this pos even getting a nomination.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't think they "threw it an oscar for box office reasons". It's not like the studios pick the Oscars. It was just a self-righteous anti-racism movie and that sort of shit sells with hollywood douche bags. It's the same reason that Argo won last year (not that it was as bad as crash), make the movie industry the hero of the movie and suprise!, the movie industry loves it.

Juvarisx

Florida
It won because the voters couldn't get themselves to vote for a movie like Brokeback Mountain in 2005.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think the best movie I've seen this year is Dallas Buyers Club, though I seriously doubt it will take best pic.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I think the best movie I've seen this year is Dallas Buyers Club, though I seriously doubt it will take best pic.
i think Matthew McConaughey will likely take Best Actor for that movie. Excellent movie, i didn't even recognize Jared Leto most of the way through it.

For Best picture i have no idea, i still need to watch 12 years a slave.

sole

Molten Core Raider
Kind of disappointed Zimmer didn't even get a nod for Man of Steel score, I thought it was excellent.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
i think Matthew McConaughey will likely take Best Actor for that movie. Excellent movie, i didn't even recognize Jared Leto most of the way through it.

For Best picture i have no idea, i still need to watch 12 years a slave.
Pro-gay, anti-Aids, anti-big pharma, machinist style weight loss...uuh, ya, he's a shoe-in, though I haven't seen 12 years yet either.
P.S. DBC was a great movie and rustled my jimmies at "the healthcare establishment" greatly.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is going to frustrate me if 12 Years wins best picture. It just wasn't a great movie. Parts were 'tough' to watch, so edgy, but that was it. Lupita did a better job at creating a character than Chiwetel did and I wouldn't object to her winning supporting actress although I'd love to see June Squibb win also.