2015 Blackhawks Salary Dump NHL Offseason Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Agreed, but if they crack down on that they need to get rid of the idiotic trapezoid so that goalies can play the puck, or at least move it off the dasher board for the D to pick up. Otherwise there's going to be a rash of concussed/injured D from getting run through the boards.
I'm fine with this.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Darryl Sydor, Wild assistant coach, charged with drunk driving - NHL on CBC Sports - Hockey news, opinion, scores, stats, standings

His blood-alcohol level later tested at 0.30 per cent, more than four times the legal limit, the complaint said.
That's not just from having had one too many. We've all gotten in a car where we might have been pushing our luck a bit. But 0.3 is absolutely shitfaced (most places 0.08 is the legal limit, and many jurisdictions are moving to 0.05). And he had his 12 year old son in the car with him? Jesus christ that looks bad. Screwing around with a BAC calculator, I put in 215lbs and drinking for 4 hours. It would have taken 20 beers to get to that BAC.

Sounds like the cop was actually a good dude in the case, took the kid to his game and everything.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He tested at .3 which means it was likely higher when he was pulled. If he's functioning at .3 that's not his first rodeo.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
He's Canadian though. What's the Canadian to US drunk conversion ratio?

(I'm just kidding, I know Canada has stricter drunk driving laws than the US does.)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
High praise indeed. Stamkos always came off as humble to me, but sheesh that's quite a claim. I'm pretty excited to see this kid play.

Merrith

Steven Stamkos offers high praise for Connor McDavid of Edmonton Oilers

Just to be clear, I've had an erection pretty much since April 18. It only goes away when my thoughts briefly stray to the whole 9 years out of the playoffs thing. But then I think of Hall and McDavid coming in on a 2-1, pretend I'm the goalie, and nut in my pants.
I just hope the Oilers don't waste him. They've had a slew of high end picks recently and haven't had much progress to show for it. McDavid is obviously the next level, and pretty much a lock to have success from Day 1, would be nice to see the team show some progress.

Fadaar

That guy
I found this far too entertaining. Also as a Bucs fan I can not wait for hockey season so I have something to be happy about.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I just hope the Oilers don't waste him. They've had a slew of high end picks recently and haven't had much progress to show for it. McDavid is obviously the next level, and pretty much a lock to have success from Day 1, would be nice to see the team show some progress.
The other picks haven't been "wasted" in that the players didn't pan out as expected. Hall, other than last season (and of course his rookie year), has been one of the highest scoring wingers in the game. Nugent-Hopkins came in to his own last year, and while he hasn't been putting up crooked numbers he looks to be a bonafide 1/2 line center, albeit with less offense than hoped. Yakupov came out of a very weak draft year where just about none of the top picks are panning out great, but he looks like he could still be a 30 goal scoring, agitating winger.

But yeah, the picks have been wasted from the perspective that the organization's management has been fucking retarded for the better part of the past 10 years, and did little to improve an absolutely awful collection of veterans. You can't expect 19/20 year old kids to carry teams by themselves with no mid-career type players to help things along. And outside of the top picks, the scouting, drafting and development of later picks has been atrocious. And again, management completely misjudged numerous players that were traded away for peanuts that went on to become good players elsewhere (Cogliano, Petry and Dubnyk are three great examples). And management also made some absolutely horrid signings of aging veterans that blew up in their faces (Nikitin, Ference, Belanger, Khabibulin, Eager, Barker, god the list goes on and on).

Thank god though, that the organization finally made some pretty big changes over the summer. I don't personally agree with Howson and MacT being kept on, given how badly they fucked the team up in the first place (and Howson bombed in Columbus as GM as well). The majority of the amateur and pro scouting department was cleaned out over the summer.

There's still some shitty contracts on the books this year (Nikitin, Ference, and Purcell) but two of those fall off next year, right in time to extend/bridge some of the younger guys and potentially Talbot if he can carry the load. So I don't expect the team to be in the playoffs this year, but I'd certainly hope they're at least in the hunt for a spot until the last few weeks of the season. Next year I fully expect them to be in the playoffs and potentially ready to do some damage. But we'll see. So much hinges on how some of the young guys like Nurse, Draisatl, and Reinhart pan out, along with McDavid of course.

But I don't think you have to worry about McDavid himself. Kid's going to be a fucking stud. It's just a matter of whether the organization can succeed in building a team around him. Pittsburgh and Washington have arguably failed at that, wasting the prime years of the last two "generational" players with only a single Cup between them. Just goes to show you how it's such a team sport.

Merrith

Can definitely say the Caps have failed at it, although the Penguins are a little more debatable. They won one Cup and went to the Finals another year. Yes, overall you'd expect better results with Sid (and hell, Malkin, who won the Conn Smythe the year they won the Cup), but they've certainly done better than the Caps. Much as I hate to admit that. As you say, it is such a team sport, and the playoffs in particular certain luck comes into play. The Capitals have failed on many levels, but they've also had horrible luck in a lot of their playoff exits. The Penguins have had their share of bad luck and hot goalies as well the last few years (or cold goalies in Fleury's case a couple runs)

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's almost silly to say that Pitts has failed given they've won a Cup and made another final, along with a huge amount of other successes. But given the cards they were dealt with Crosby and Malkin, that should have been good for another Cup or two. Chicago has found a way to win three now, and I think you could easily argue that the Crosby/Malkin duo is better than Toews/Kane in isolation.

Merrith

Yeah, it's almost silly to say that Pitts has failed given they've won a Cup and made another final, along with a huge amount of other successes. But given the cards they were dealt with Crosby and Malkin, that should have been good for another Cup or two. Chicago has found a way to win three now, and I think you could easily argue that the Crosby/Malkin duo is better than Toews/Kane in isolation.
In isolation, I agree for pure talent. I think Toews brings a lot more 2 way play than either Malkin or Sid do (and did most of the heavy lifting in Vancouver when Canada won the gold medal, despite the soft goal Miller allowed to Sid to end it) though, and as good as Letang is, he's no Duncan Keith. Not even from a durability standpoint or on as good of a contract. When the Pens still had Jordan Staal before he wanted big money, he was great as their 3C, and really gave them that depth down the middle. Also, much like the Letang/Keith comparison...in no way could you claim Malkin/Sid are as durable a duo as Kane/Toews.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Watched the Blackhawks skate for practice at Notre Dame today. Same ice my kids had hockey practice on later and a few Blackhawks came out and did some coaching. Pretty cool.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That's hilarious. Jagr is the goddamn man.

So is Darnell Nurse:http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/129729

"Hmmm, tying up doesn't seem to be working against this 6'7" monster. Instead I'll just try punching him as hard and fast in the face as I can while he does the same to me and see how it works out. Oh perfect, he's bleeding everywhere. Lesson learned!"

He might not start in the NHL this season, but he won't be long in the AHL. In a year or two he's going to be one of the most feared guys in the league. And I don't just mean for fighting. He's an unbelievable skater for a guy his size, and he's fucking mean as hell. Guys are NOT going to want to go to the front of the net if Nurse is standing there smiling at them.