2015 RR March Madness Bracket Challenge

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Bracket group is on ESPN

Group is Rerolled, PW is RR

Bitch about how team xyz doesn't deserve the seed they got below.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
My bracket is probably way off, but I don't care. I picked who I like.

I'll probably be the only guy picking NMSU over KU in the 1st round, but fuck KU. Also, my pop lives in Las Cruces, NM where NMSU is located.

I also have Gonzaga winning the Tournament. Commence laughing now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ended up picking a Kentucky - Virginia final. Will be the most boring title game ever, the #1 and #2 defensive teams in the tournament. Final score will be about 53-45

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Really want ISU to win just because I love their style of play. Maybe if they win it all we will see more coaches think about it.

Tired of every possession just dribbling the ball just beyond the key.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
ISU is just small. With Morris I think our guard play can match up against anyone in the nation, but we'll have to have incredible shooting nights to get past Gonzaga and Duke both. McKay is a boost on the weakside, but neither him nor Niang can guard 7 footers and Georges has trouble offensively against defenders with size.

It's not impossible. It's just not likely. Gonzaga and Duke are both just huge teams and I don't think they can rely on Niang to carry them against either of them. It'll take everyone else getting hot. We have the shooters for that to be possible, but you know how the long ball goes. Some nights you're hot. Some nights you're ice cold.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Ended up picking a Kentucky - Virginia final. Will be the most boring title game ever, the #1 and #2 defensive teams in the tournament. Final score will be about 53-45
I've got Kentucky and Gonzaga.

My elite 8 and 4 for your amusement:

UKvs. Witchita St. (Shockers!)

Villinovavs. Providence

Wisconsin vs.Xavier

Duke vs.Gonzaga

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got Wisconsin and ISU in the Final with Wisconsin winning it all. Just for something different.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Really want ISU to win just because I love their style of play. Maybe if they win it all we will see more coaches think about it.

Tired of every possession just dribbling the ball just beyond the key.
I really like ISU as well, but the problems with teams like that who are great offensively but suspect defensively(also BYU, Oregon, Notre Dame, Davidson, Indiana, etc) is that it's likely that you're going to eventually have a bad shooting game, and then you're just done. Good defensive teams can bring effort and energy every game and keep playing good defense, but offense can be a little streakier, sometimes the best of shooters just have an off night and there's nothing you can do about it.

Take a look at this:
F01oC8u.png

Look at how many teams are in the tournament with below-average defense but above average offense(only like 6 or 7) vs the opposite of above average defense vs below average offense(22). You can win with good defense more consistently than good offense, apparently.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I like that chart, it makes my Villinova and Gonzaga picks not look so bad. Xavier, not so much.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I really like ISU as well, but the problems with teams like that who are great offensively but suspect defensively(also BYU, Oregon, Notre Dame, Davidson, Indiana, etc) is that it's likely that you're going to eventually have a bad shooting game, and then you're just done. Good defensive teams can bring effort and energy every game and keep playing good defense, but offense can be a little streakier, sometimes the best of shooters just have an off night and there's nothing you can do about it.

Take a look at this:
F01oC8u.png

Look at how many teams are in the tournament with below-average defense but above average offense(only like 6 or 7) vs the opposite of above average defense vs below average offense(22). You can win with good defense more consistently than good offense, apparently.
I'm not sure what to make of that graph. According to it, teams with both bad offense and bad defense are more likely to get to the tournament than teams with just bad defense.

Also, ISU doesn't really have a bad defense. Not too 10 or anything, but a far cry from bad.

High Offensive tempo really isn't mutually exclusive to a good defense either

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I think they just happen to be in the tourney because of conference titles/wins. I could be wrong.

Does the size of the circle correlate to the size of the school?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think the size of the circle correlates to how high of a seed you are. All of those bad defense/bad offense schools are auto-bids from tiny conferences with 14/15/16 seeds.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That graph is also offensive efficiency, which is really only loosely related to offensive temp (which is what I was referring to with enjoying watching ISU).

Either way, there has already been some analyses done that show that slow tempo teams are more succcessful than fast tempo teams, but I just hate it. 30 second or less shot clock would help

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The NIT tournament is testing out a 30 second shot clock this year in all of their tournament games. Will be interesting to see how that goes and if the NCAA as a whole adopts it soon.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I saw that, should be interesting. I think they have to and will change it, it's just a matter of time. I think they should also reduce the number of timeouts available.