2016 Oscars

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Denzel has two Oscars. That's more than Leo, Depp, Pitt, and Harrison Ford COMBINED! Fucking racists!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It is a tradition for the Academy to snub the fuck out of people. It has always been that way since fucking forever. This protest is being made by a bunch of fucking bitches. Now anytime a black person gets nominated it's going to be thought of as affirmative action for an awards show taking away from their accomplishment.

Want to win a fucking award? Make a movie about blacks saving jews in concentration camps or play a fucking retard. You can do that and still wipe your ass with the millions you made being oppressed by the fucking academy.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
6.5% of the acting community is black.
6.5% of 20 nominations is 1.3 people nominated
Round it down to 1 to get a whole number - this is the expected number of nominations of black people, and 0 is extremely close to that.

Then if you look at the past 4 years, out of those 80 nominations, 12.5% have been black.

So, I don't see what the fuck they are whining about. You want more black nominations and winners, then have more black actors (that may be an issue itself, but whatever).

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think someone should be nominated, or win, based on merit, not the color of their skin. To me, simply nominating an actor because they're black is more racist.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The implication is that there are qualified black candidates who are being overlooked. I haven't seen a whole lot of movies this year so I am not sure who they believe is getting snubbed.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The implication is that there are qualified black candidates who are being overlooked. I haven't seen a whole lot of movies this year so I am not sure who they believe is getting snubbed.
I get it, but I also didn't see any Oscar worthy performances by any black actors. Granted, I didn't see every single film that came out this year, but of the major releases, I didn't see anyone who was deserving and was therefore "snubbed."

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I guess they are trying to have a larger discussion about black actors being shut out of hollywood, but I am not certain of that. It would be better to just have that discussion rather than attack it by proxy through the oscars, which I don't understand why anyone gives a shit about them. I understand why the industry does, an oscar or even a nomination represents millions of dollars. But why average people care about what is, basically, an industry insider thing is just silly.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think the alternative is going to be worse. from now on they will be adding more black nominations, so every black actor can now rest easy knowing that their skin color earned them the nom and not their acting ability. congratulations black person. your skin color was great in that film.

Siliconemelons

So... they are calling for affirmative action @ the Oscars eh? Haven't we seen that is a bad idea everywhere? nm... I don't want to summon the red pills!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i think the alternative is going to be worse. from now on they will be adding more black nominations, so every black actor can now rest easy knowing that their skin color earned them the nom and not their acting ability. congratulations black person. your skin color was great in that film.
There's a great interview with Stacey Dash (Clueless) talking about how black people can't have it both ways (inclusion and segregation); basically saying you can't have stuff like the BET awards and then bitch about being snubbed at the Oscars. Thought it was very insightful.

Szlia

About asian nominations, the first thing that came to mind is Sessue Hayakawa for The Bridge on the River Kwai (best supporting actor). That same year (1957) Miyoshi Umeki, a japanese actress who later became american, won for best supporting actresse in a movie called Sayonara (which also earned Red Buttons a best actor win). Also Pat Morita got nominated for best supporting actor for The Karate Kid. Mako got nominated for best supporting actor for The Sand Peebles in 1966. Ryuichi Sakamoto won for the score of The Last Emperor. More recently, Ken Watanabe got nominated for best supporting actor in The Last Samurai. Also closer to us, Rinko Kikuchi was nomined for best actress in 2006 for Babel...

As far as diversity go, 2015 was also an all caucasian affair with just Selma running for best picture and best song along with the usual mexicans (for Birdman). 2014 had 12 Years a Slave and another mexican for Gravity (and some asians in the technical awards for The Grandmaster). In 2014 you had Beasts of the Southern Wild, Denzel Washington in Flight and Ang Lee on the asian front who won best directing for Life of Pi...

So I guess the issue in 2016 is that some big stars (Will Smith, Samuel L. Jackson) did not get nominated and that the 'big black movies' of the year (Creed, Straight Out Of Compton) are barely on the radar. I am not it is a huge injustice, but I have not seen Concussion nor the NWA hagiography.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I guess Guatemalans should be boycotting too since Oscar Isaac got snubbed. This entire thing is stupid and all they are doing is fucking over black actors in the future.

Szlia

I totally had to look that up.
To make things clear, I knew Hayakawa was a big star during the golden age of Hollywood, making him likely to have won an Oscar. That was the entirety of what was on the top of my head. The rest is google-fu and imdb browsing.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The next black actor to be nominated for best actor will be a biopic about Obama.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Beasts, Idris, or the Kid shoulda got nominated, but that's more a snub of Netflix than black people. Probably shouldn't condense all your best acting into a anti-hollywood non traditional production/release if you wanna get awarded by hollywood.

That leaves Creed as a potential for best picture or best director, and as great of a movie it was, the best part of it was Stallones acting, and he got the nod.

Straight Outta Compton got nominated for best original screen play which was all it deserved.

hollywood said fuck netflix and black people got butthurt about it. news @ 11

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Next year they should nominate all black people in each category except the one white person who will win. The butthurt would be epic.