2016 Oscars

vGrade

Potato del Grande
6.5% of the acting community is black.
6.5% of 20 nominations is 1.3 people nominated
Round it down to 1 to get a whole number - this is the expected number of nominations of black people, and 0 is extremely close to that.

Then if you look at the past 4 years, out of those 80 nominations, 12.5% have been black.

So, I don't see what the fuck they are whining about. You want more black nominations and winners, then have more black actors (that may be an issue itself, but whatever).
Let me educate you.

It's not whining. The problem is the "6.5% of the acting community is black". It is *extremely* hard for non-white actors to get roles in films that are oscar contenders. This situation is most visually obvious at the oscars, which are a sea of white people. Our entertainment industry isn't reflecting our cultural make-up as a country, because the people who make movies are white. They make movies casting people who are white without thinking about alternative casting.

The reason this comes up every year at Oscar time, is because Oscar time is the time it is the easiest to see the results of an entertainment industry that only allows 6.5% of its make-up to be black. And this is not a situation where black people aren't auditioning. Multiple black actors have said that they have to go in and make a special case for a character to be black, when it actually doesn't matter what the skin color of the character is

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honest question, why is this a black white conversation, aren't asians and Hispanics represented even less than blacks? Is it because blacks yell about it the loudest, or do asians get ignored because they have a pretty big film industry of their own in Asia, and as far as I know there is no African film industry? Not that that makes a difference in the representation of hollywood.

spronk

FPS noob
Honest question, why is this a black white conversation, aren't asians and Hispanics represented even less than blacks? Is it because blacks yell about it the loudest, or do asians get ignored because they have a pretty big film industry of their own in Asia, and as far as I know there is no African film industry? Not that that makes a difference in the representation of hollywood.
most asians don't care they are too busy working hard to make money

but for real hard working people, especially immigrants (wife is 2nd generation asian) all have one thing drilled in their heads when growing up: you have to work twice as hard to get half as much as a white person. there are plenty of black families who have that drilled into them as well, but plenty of white trash and black kids grow up with unrealistic expectations in life.

the point vGrade makes is totally true though, but some of it is probably global concerns. the global box office is a huge component of mass market movies now, and a big chunk of asia just likes seeing white people on screen in hollywood movies - they have their own movies which is 100% insert_country here, although hilariously now bad guys usually are white or black people. just look at the recent star wars posters for china, where finn is shrunk to a tiny side character whereas the rest of the world posters feature him prominently. anyone who has spent time with real asians or arabs know they are the most racist fuckers on the planet. mixed casts seem to work well globally though, like fast and the furious.

For numbers, China's domestic box office was $6.7b in 2015, the US was $11b. Its expected china will overtake the US in 2017 or 2018, they are currently adding over 20 screens a DAY (new construction) in that country.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Let me educate you.

It's not whining. The problem is the "6.5% of the acting community is black". It is *extremely* hard for non-white actors to get roles in films that are oscar contenders. This situation is most visually obvious at the oscars, which are a sea of white people. Our entertainment industry isn't reflecting our cultural make-up as a country, because the people who make movies are white. They make movies casting people who are white without thinking about alternative casting.

The reason this comes up every year at Oscar time, is because Oscar time is the time it is the easiest to see the results of an entertainment industry that only allows 6.5% of its make-up to be black. And this is not a situation where black people aren't auditioning. Multiple black actors have said that they have to go in and make a special case for a character to be black, when it actually doesn't matter what the skin color of the character is
I'm not saying you aren't wrong. But let's say we double that, and now 13% of the acting community is black. Now it's representative. Does that actually fix the problem?

Cybsled

I think the most relevant point is you have to take this in the context of what happened in 2015 culturally.

Hollywood has always been the original SJW: In public, they are more than happy to say they stand for equality/etc, especially when something topical is happening. But when it comes to actual practice, they don't care unless it nets them money.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't understand. Most people in the US are white. Studios make movies to appeal to core audiences.

THE MARKET IS RACIST?!?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm not saying you aren't wrong. But let's say we double that, and now 13% of the acting community is black. Now it's representative. Does that actually fix the problem?
Yes, it should be 50/50 because this is between black and white people not those other people.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
How about it isn't a racist thing at all? Why does "diversity" in this country, mean that something just can't be all white? Look at every "diverse" black organization. Hey, it's all black people. Where the fuck is the diversity in that? Oh, it's not all white people? Then I understand, you're clearly "diverse" after all!

Why is it that since Obama has become president, the black/white issues have escalated at an outrageous level? In truth, nothing at all has changed. But suddenly EVERYTHING is "racist". It's fucking pathetic. The entitlement in all communities is out of control. Work for your shit, don't expect things to be given to you. Being told that you aren't the best at something doesn't make the person telling you that a racist. These pussy liberal cunts would have shit themselves in the truly accepted racial times of this country. We're all just crying babies anymore. It's disgusting.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It is *extremely* hard for non-white actors to get roles in films that are oscar contenders.
It's also extremely hard for white people to get roles in the NBA. Why? Because white people suck at it. Maybe it's "extremely" hard for non-white people to get roles in Oscar winning films because they suck at it? Nah, must be racism..

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its the participation award for races. you cant be the best anymore, now you just need to exist and expect accolades. its why we had a male Woman of the Year last year.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Even the all time "black power/ whites are bad" director, spike lee, casts white people for the major roles. I think the problem is not diversity, it's the movies' s genre black people choose.
For every Denzel, there are 50 Wayans brothers.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This is all a work to get people talking about the Oscars. Shit has been on the decline for decades.

Column_sl

shitlord
It's a white world live with it.

The people who make money off this shit are just feeding the populace that wants it.

It's amazing that networks like BET are even tolerated, but white guilt I guess.

Szlia

It's also extremely hard for white people to get roles in the NBA. Why? Because white people suck at it. Maybe it's "extremely" hard for non-white people to get roles in Oscar winning films because they suck at it? Nah, must be racism..
This analogy would kinda work if black actors were complaining about not being in enough sun screen commercials...

Anyway, it's a complicated situation that has more to do with movie production than the academy.