2016 Oscars

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah as perfect as Mad Max is, it wont win shit except maybe visuals. Academy only gives best picture to oscar bait dramas except that year they gave it to RoTK.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't even see Trumbo but I hope Bryan Cranston wins because he's awesome. Fuck DiCaprio, hope he gets snubbed his entire career.

spronk

FPS noob
it does seem like trumbo should be winning more awards, a movie about a liberal hollywood jew (i assume he's a jew) fighting against a conservative senator and US government, seems like a shoe in. maybe too many straight white people in the movie?

i'm gonna have to watch the big short tonight, people keep saying its so good. waiting on blu rays for revenant, i figure the cinematography deserves better than a screener

khorum

Murder Apologist
Cranston is definitely a favorite for Trumbo... he knocks it out of the park. But I think Louis CK actually deserves a supporting actor nod for his part. Even without it, CK showed he has real acting chops, I'd be shocked if he doesn't go full-on Tom Hanks as the standup-comic-turned-serious-actor guy.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Just going back through the academy awards over the years, looking for the last time a pure action film like Mad Max was even nominated, much less win the award...

Several dramas with violence have gotten the nod, like gladiator or saving private ryan, but coming up short on action films. Maybe 1993 "The Fugitive" could qualify as an action film, even though that's definitely more drama/suspense than action. Fuck, 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark? that's action/adventure I suppose. Other than that you gotta go back to 1977's Star Wars for the last time an "action"/adventure film was nominated. None of those I mentioned won, except Gladiator in 2000.

Caliane

you have to compare what came out any given year, vs actual quality of said action movie.
How many action movies would YOU say deserve the nod.

Dredd? eh.. maybe.
Pacific rim? lol. no. I love that movie. but its not best picture.
Inglorious basterds?? Nominated. lost to The Hurt Locker. (avatar that year as well, so was District 9. all 3 among nominations. ) Tarentino did win best director for Inglorious.

Batman Begins maybe? 2005.
Crash won. Brokeback, capote, good night, and good luck, and munich the other noms.

Inception got a nom in 2010. But lost to The Kings speech. which, well, no shit it did. black swan would have won over it, as well as possibly toy story 3 as well.

The Presige 2006. got NOTHING.
I dont think any of the harry potters got a nod?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
none of those are really action films.

I don't see Avatar as an action film. It was Dances with Wolves (which also was nominated and won in 1990) with new 3d camera tech. Dredd, eh maybe. Pacific Rim was action, but not nominated. Inglorious Basterds is definitely a tarantino drama. Inception, Prestige, everything else you mention are dramas.

Action films rarely ever get nominated, much less win, which is my point. It's amazing that MMFR got the nom, much less is 2nd in total nominations. A sign perhaps that the winds are changing in hollywood. But yeah most action films aren't really Oscar "caliber." The last Oscar worthy action film I can recall was The Dark Knight (which arguments can be made it was a drama as well, but superhero summer blockbuster i feel falls into the action category), and it got totally snubbed, in fact it was the reason that they went from 5 nominations for best picture to 10 (which changed to "up to 10" which is the system we have now that results in around 8 films being nominated).

Caliane

none of those are really action films.

I don't see Avatar as an action film. It was Dances with Wolves (which also was nominated and won in 1990) with new 3d camera tech. Dredd, eh maybe. Pacific Rim was action, but not nominated. Inglorious Basterds is definitely a tarantino drama. Inception, Prestige, everything else you mention are dramas.

Action films rarely ever get nominated, much less win, which is my point. It's amazing that MMFR got the nom, much less is 2nd in total nominations. A sign perhaps that the winds are changing in hollywood. But yeah most action films aren't really Oscar "caliber." The last Oscar worthy action film I can recall was The Dark Knight (which arguments can be made it was a drama as well, but superhero summer blockbuster i feel falls into the action category), and it got totally snubbed, in fact it was the reason that they went from 5 nominations for best picture to 10 (which changed to "up to 10" which is the system we have now that results in around 8 films being nominated).
well if you are looking for movies that are pure "Action" and not "action/adventure" then you are really going to have a hard time. its pretty rare for a pure action movie to have any real quality at all. Because action takes precedent over character, acting, drama, etc... like pure Horror movies. the worse they are, the better half the time.

spronk

FPS noob
the chick whose only movie in 2016 was Magic Mike XXL is mad at the Oscars
Jada Pinkett Smith debates boycotting the Oscars over only white actors being nominated | Fox News

Spike Lee, who is receiving a lifetime award, also is going to be boycotting the Oscars

Creed and Idris Elba and the kid in Beasts of No Nation got robbed, but not Straight Outta Compton that movie sucked

Should be interesting with Chris Rock hosting. Be kinda funny if every black star boycotts and he's the only black dude in the auditorium

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Agree on the rest, but I wouldn't say straight outta compton sucked, it just wasn't the oscar quality film that apparently black people thought it was. It's funny because they were expecting to get snubbed, which means they thought it was Oscar quality. It resonated very well with a certain subset of the population that thinks it's a good idea to loot and rob and burn shit down when you don't get your way, even if your way is wrong. While I found the origin story interesting (if a bit, revisionist), they thought simply telling it and wrapping it in a bow of rodney king/BLM same shit/new day narrative was good enough to just walk away with best picture.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
so black actors butthurt over not enough black actors nominated for an oscar are now out of protest not going to show up for the oscars so there are even less black actors at the event? uh, did these guys think this thing all the way through

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I heard some white actors were also not nominated.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
isnt there an awards show on BET called Image Awards that only awards black actors? isnt that actually more racist than anything else?