2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Caps get Carl Hagelin for a 3rd and a conditional 6th. I like this move. His scoring numbers haven't been great lately, but he's turned it up in the playoffs before. Also he's mainly being brought in to add a little speed and responsibility defensively. Probably help out our Penalty Kill a good bit, too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Hawks are working their way back into the playoffs. What a turn around by them. Kane has been off the hook. It looks like firing Q has paid off even though at first it looked like a terrible mistake with the way the team was playing after the firing.

• 1Like

yaph

Molten Core Raider
I think Hagelin will work. He’s basically what I was expecting Stephenson to be at this point. More speed is a plus.

• 1Like

Merrith

Ovechkin hit goal 650 for his career tonight. Anyone that doesn't think he has a shot at 894 is insane.

Merrith

Caps wheeling and dealing. Bowey and a 2020 2nd round pick for Jensen and a 5th this year. Then we go and sign Jensen to a 4 year, $10M extension ($2.5M cap hit). I like it overall, guy is probably good enough to be 2nd pairing but he can probably play behind Carlson and Niskanen on the right side, and be insurance if Niskanen's play continues to slide. Also have our top 5 D all signed through at least 2 years beyond this one.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Caps wheeling and dealing. Bowey and a 2020 2nd round pick for Jensen and a 5th this year. Then we go and sign Jensen to a 4 year, $10M extension ($2.5M cap hit). I like it overall, guy is probably good enough to be 2nd pairing but he can probably play behind Carlson and Niskanen on the right side, and be insurance if Niskanen's play continues to slide. Also have our top 5 D all signed through at least 2 years beyond this one.

Caps slightly overpaid for Jensen imho. I know nothing about Bowey, but a 2nd round pick next year is at most what he is worth. He's a 2nd pairing D only on a team that's weak on D and doesn't do much offensively.

Who knows though, maybe playing for a better team will let him become the player we had hoped he could have been.

Edit: Just saw the Caps got a 5th this year as well, so that makes it slightly better. Still don't think Jensen is worth the new contract though.

Merrith

Caps slightly overpaid for Jensen imho. I know nothing about Bowey, but a 2nd round pick next year is at most what he is worth. He's a 2nd pairing D only on a team that's weak on D and doesn't do much offensively.

Who knows though, maybe playing for a better team will let him become the player we had hoped he could have been.

Edit: Just saw the Caps got a 5th this year as well, so that makes it slightly better. Still don't think Jensen is worth the new contract though.

The point is he doesn't have to play 2nd pairing here. He can get easier minutes on the 3rd pairing and help on the PK some. 2nd next year is whatever really, shot to be something but not a great chance. Also unless we fall off a cliff it'll be a late 2nd anyways. A lot of Wings fans I was reading thought he'd get a lot more in free agency would have taken him back at the number we signed him. Time will tell, but if he ends up being this year's Kempny, it'll look great.

Bowey was promising in juniors, hasn't impressed at the NHL level. But he played enough games last year to get his name on the Cup, so we'll always have that.

• 1Like

Merrith

nick-jensen-zone-exits.png

This probably his main benefit outside the PK. Clean zone exits have been the Caps bane this year. So many turnovers that lead to scoring chances against when a clean zone exit will often be leading us on a rush the other way with potential for our own scoring chance.

I actually wish I had the original link to this site/chart so I could see every team's guys, this was just a snapshot with Detroit selected.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Big fan of the Jensen trade. A 2nd is fair value, and Bowey is a project the caps don’t have time for.

Merrith

Could have used Jensen today. Although given the early start and trade just yesterday makes sense to let him watch a game. He'll be in tomorrow against the Rangers.

Fun fact, Alex Ovechkin's next goal will make him the only player in history to have 10 seasons of 45 goals or more.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Could have used Jensen today. Although given the early start and trade just yesterday makes sense to let him watch a game. He'll be in tomorrow against the Rangers.

Fun fact, Alex Ovechkin's next goal will make him the only player in history to have 10 seasons of 45 goals or more.

Hank and most Ranger fans will be up all night crying, good chance it happen's tomorrow. Not like he doesn't already have his number or anything anyway...

Merrith

Hank and most Ranger fans will be up all night crying, good chance it happen's tomorrow. Not like he doesn't already have his number or anything anyway...

Actually if it makes you feel better, he's already there with 44 goals which he got to today.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
nick-jensen-zone-exits.png

This probably his main benefit outside the PK. Clean zone exits have been the Caps bane this year. So many turnovers that lead to scoring chances against when a clean zone exit will often be leading us on a rush the other way with potential for our own scoring chance.

I actually wish I had the original link to this site/chart so I could see every team's guys, this was just a snapshot with Detroit selected.

These graphs are made by Sean Tierney on twitter. His tools sadly arnt available for public use though.
Sean Tierney (@ChartingHockey) | Twitter

Can find all the graphs hes made here -
Tableau Public

• 1Like

Merrith

Fucking wild game. Thought that OT could have been over either way a few times before it actually ended. Posts galore in the 3rd, too. They're giving Kuznetsov credit for the OT goal so Ovechkin didn't get one today.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Fuck...

Fucking wild game. Thought that OT could have been over either way a few times before it actually ended. Posts galore in the 3rd, too. They're giving Kuznetsov credit for the OT goal so Ovechkin didn't get one today.

Yeah, that was a great game. Copley didn't do you guys any favors, I assume he just had a bad game.

Merrith

Fuck...

Yeah, that was a great game. Copley didn't do you guys any favors, I assume he just had a bad game.

Had some weird deflections, but he did let in a few from pretty long range. Hopefully he gets it together, we're probably still going to need 5 starts or so from him down the stretch.