2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Term is a bit short, I wouldnt call it a good contract. Its not bad enough to change anything though.
Screenshot_20190205-141950_Reddit.jpg

and then keeping track. 7.59 + lets say 3 mil for cap increase + 5 for hortons ltir leaves us with 15.59. Lets say 10 for marner though i think he'll end up getting less than that. 5.59 for kappy johnsson and sparks. Sparks doesnt have any room to negotiate, he will come in under a mil, lets call it 750k. 4.84 left for kapanen and johnsson. We currently have 2 extra dmen on the NHL roster earning 1.5 who can be sent down to the AHL, burying their cap hit. 6.34 mil for kapanen and johsson but we'll need to fill 2 spots on the team, 1 forward and 1 defensemen, which in all likelyhood will be Trevor Moore and Timothy Liljgren who are signed next year for 1.67 mil. Leaves us with around 4.67 million to get kappy and johnsson done which isnt enough. To get it done were going to have to get good deals done or move a guy like Brown.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't mean good as in good terms...but not the worst thing to get your franchise player signed. It is a little concerning that it's only 5 so they're only buying 1 year of UFA and it's still north of $11.5 a year. I thought the rumors were if it was 5 year deal it would be to keep it closer to 11 per, if they went 6 it would go north of 11.5 per.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
can someone explain how the hell do players in NHL make so little? 11-13m per year for the highest paid seems so low

Juvarisx

Florida
Bob McKenzie had this graphic up on TSN earlier before the deal was done, its doable, have to trade Brown and can't resign Gardiner obviously.

leafs.png

After that, Marleau is gone as is Horton so things open up a lot

• 1Like

Merrith

can someone explain how the hell do players in NHL make so little? 11-13m per year for the highest paid seems so low

When the salary cap is $79.5M for 22-23 players...

I know there are 41 home games, but only 2 teams in the league draw 20k+ per game. The Islanders are lowest in the league currently at 11,779 per game. I will say Seattle should probably be very successful as Vegas has been, so it'll likely help see the cap increase over the next few years. Rumors are it was going up to $83 million next year.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Recent rfa contracts and paying everything in signing bonuses makes me feel like we are heading for another lockout.

Merrith

Recent rfa contracts and paying everything in signing bonuses makes me feel like we are heading for another lockout.

At the very least, everyone is prepping for it like it could happen.

Merrith

Just what I need. Calgary is finally good again for the first time since the last lockout, and here we go again. FML.

Believe me, I think our window to potentially make another Cup run is about this year and next year tops, depending on what happens when Backstrom and Holtby's contracts come up. Also, any more lost seasons/part of a season might impact Ovechkin's chance to make a run at Gretzky's goal record.

Merrith

yost.JPG

Leafs do not mind throwing around that bonus money

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Man, watch out for them Ducks. They are on a tear right now!

1549599146387.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When does Randy Carlyle get tired of waiting to be fired and just resigns?

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
When does Randy Carlyle get tired of waiting to be fired and just resigns?

No idea what they were thinking signing him again to begin with. Us Sharks fans were super happy, though!

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure you weren't being serious about resigning, but that's the only way he doesn't get paid for the term of his contract so it's not gonna happen. It becomes a dance of the GM not wanting to look stupid by firing him, thus admitting he fucked up on the contract or digging his grave deeper by standing pat with his decision.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I'm honestly astonished that there are worse teams in the NHL than the Rangers still. A team that regularly ices 11 forwards NOT based on injuries but because we literally don't have enough NHL caliber forwards. Same can be said for most of our Dman and bottom 6 but pretty sure we can't officially play with 10 players on the bench. I honestly don't know wtf is going on with the teams still bellow us, not that there is a huge point spreed between us. If they are truly in the same boat, there is a huge disparity of talent in this league.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
The Blues winning 10 in a row has got my hopes up a little bit. I dont know if I can tolerate another heartbreak.

• 1Like

Merrith

The Blues winning 10 in a row has got my hopes up a little bit. I dont know if I can tolerate another heartbreak.

Blues and flyers have really turned their years around. Not sure if it'll be enough for Philly, but pretty crazy