2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Only a month means he'll be back in time for stretch run/playoffs.

Yeah, doesn't leave much time to get your feet back and build chemistry with your new team though. Even if he didn't break his arm, they would have to make conference finals for the conditional 1st which was pretty much a long shot.

Still get TB's if they win the cup so there's that!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, doesn't leave much time to get your feet back and build chemistry with your new team though. Even if he didn't break his arm, they would have to make conference finals for the conditional 1st which was pretty much a long shot.

Still get TB's if they win the cup so there's that!

I would so love Tampa to fail again. Nothing to do with your pick hopes, just curious when Canada Golden Boy Stamkos would ever get criticized for his team not living up.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I would so love Tampa to fail again. Nothing to do with your pick hopes, just curious when Canada Golden Boy Stamkos would ever get criticized for his team not living up.

I'd say after this season if they fall short, though Kucherov has stolen his spotlight at this point so that might take some attention away.

Merrith

I'd say after this season if they fall short, though Kucherov has stolen his spotlight at this point so that might take some attention away.

He already did last year. Easier for their media to blame the Russian and not Stamkos...despite his complete failure in Game 7's.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So hours after losing to the sharks, the Wings give them Nyquist for their 2nd round pick this year and a conditional 3rd in 2020. Not great, but not terrible considering he had a full NTC.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I said it a few weeks ago and i'll say it again, the talent disparity in this league is becoming a real problem. There's like 6 teams that have a full stacked roster of legit players and the bottom 16 teams have like half a roster of actual talent. So many teams these days are ready to through in the towel halfway through the season and sell off their roster. Can't even really blame them with cap era being the way it is, prioritizing these firesale rebuilds. I have to give respect to CBJ for not following suit, though I feel like it's not gonna end well for them...

Merrith

I said it a few weeks ago and i'll say it again, the talent disparity in this league is becoming a real problem. There's like 6 teams that have a full stacked roster of legit players and the bottom 16 teams have like half a roster of actual talent. So many teams these days are ready to through in the towel halfway through the season and sell off their roster. Can't even really blame them with cap era being the way it is, prioritizing these firesale rebuilds. I have to give respect to CBJ for not following suit, though I feel like it's not gonna end well for them...

I'm just wondering what CBJ fans will feel is a "successful" season for them if they lose Panarin/Bob/Duchene in the offseason. If they finally win a playoff series are they happy with that? Is it Cup or bust?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Just heard they are going after Kinkaid now. If they don't move any of their UFA's it's definitely cup or bust. Guess we'll know soon.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nyquist to SJ for a second and a conditional third. DET also retained 30% of his salary. SJ now has 9 forwards over 40 points. I am pleased.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm just wondering what CBJ fans will feel is a "successful" season for them if they lose Panarin/Bob/Duchene in the offseason. If they finally win a playoff series are they happy with that? Is it Cup or bust?
Cbj has been a franchise for almost 20 years and has never won a playoff series. Maybe get as well push your chips in before you lose some of your best players.

Only way cbj is building a franchise is if they actually win something. Can’t rebuild forever.

Merrith

Cbj has been a franchise for almost 20 years and has never won a playoff series. Maybe get as well push your chips in before you lose some of your best players.

Only way cbj is building a franchise is if they actually win something. Can’t rebuild forever.

They have a good farm system though, they could have retooled. If they lose in Round 1 and lose those big 3 in free agency they're going to be in big trouble. Literally down to a 3rd round pick, and Calgary's 7th round pick for this year's draft now. They're also missing their 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2020 now, too.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cbj prospect pool is bottom tier as they recently have promoted most of their good prospects. Bob and Panarin were looking like they were already out the door. It’s definitely a gamble, but it’s better than wallowing in mediocrity for another decade.

Fadaar

That guy

Stamkos got plenty of hate from the locals for disappearing in the playoffs recent years. The two game clusterfuck to end the Caps series though, that was a collective team failing. The team this year just has a different feel to it in a good way. Doesn't mean shit if they dump in the playoffs again, but we'll see how it goes.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
All in all I think the Rangers did OK today. Only 2 firsts offered and we got one so that tells you about the market. As of now, we have had seven 1st round picks in the past three drafts with the (unlikely) opportunity to make that as much as 10 going into this years draft. A slew of 2nd and 3rd's too. Add to that an already impressive prospect pool and i'd say that's a pretty great turn around from the Sathir era. Time will tell if it's worth losing Hayes, he really stepped up this year but the jury is still out if he can earn that 7x7 he was looking for. I'll never be a fan of the Zucc move though, he would of been well worth keeping around for the new kids coming up alone. Deserved the C...

If Stone got a 1st AND Brannstrom I gotta wonder what Panarin would of got. Still like what CBJ did, I agree their farm is on the weaker side and alot of their support players won't be around for a refresh. They basically had to go all in.

edit: guess Stone got a 2nd not a 1st... hmm

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lighting looking good

Islanders slipping a bit helping caps out.

Merrith

Stamkos got plenty of hate from the locals for disappearing in the playoffs recent years. The two game clusterfuck to end the Caps series though, that was a collective team failing. The team this year just has a different feel to it in a good way. Doesn't mean shit if they dump in the playoffs again, but we'll see how it goes.

I don't mean locals like from Tampa (I'm assuming that's who you mean). I mean the Canadian media in general. I heard far more get put on Kucherov's shoulders than Stamkos'. I freely admit Tampa looks absolutely insane this year, but nobody knows better than a Capitals fan how useless being unbeatable and amassing 120+ points in the regular season is come playoff time. They will be the favorites, there is no doubt.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Christ, Montreal is really destroying Detroit right now. 6-1 after 2.

The rest of this season is going to be pure pain. I just hope we can get things turned around in the next 2 years.

Merrith

When you go all in like columbus did, playing the Pens down 3 of their top 4 D men...lose the game and are on the outside of the playoffs looking in at the end of the night.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
When you go all in like columbus did, playing the Pens down 3 of their top 4 D men...lose the game and are on the outside of the playoffs looking in at the end of the night.

Eh, can't just throw 4 new guys from different teams into the lineup and expect them to gel day one. Gonna take a few practices. Assuming they all played, wasn't really watching.