2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
These playoffs were so unpredictable. Gonna see a whole lot of GM's take the "anything can happen" approach when roster building this summer. Should make for some interesting moves.

Obviously you need the goaltending to be there, but Blues actually have a pretty talented Roster, they have studs on the backend, and getting ROR really shored them up down the middle. I'm not sure there was that much unpredictability other than Tampa getting swept really.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Obviously you need the goaltending to be there, but Blues actually have a pretty talented Roster, they have studs on the backend, and getting ROR really shored them up down the middle. I'm not sure there was that much unpredictability other than Tampa getting swept really.

They literally re-did the bracket challenge because the first round was so unpredictably unprecedented

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I can't fucking believe it! I am speechless.

Uber Uberest, you can sleep on my porch for the parade.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

They literally re-did the bracket challenge because the first round was so unpredictably unprecedented

Some of that though was people just picking chalk a little too much. Granted the two sweeps were surprising because of who got swept, but the Penguins were a shaky team with a terrible blue line that I think most of us just figured would get by the Islanders on their top end talent...despite the fact the Islanders had home ice because they actually finished higher in the regular season. Columbus was super hot going into the playoffs while Tampa had nothing to play for basically the last month and a half of the season. Obviously we were defending champs and won our division, but we go to double OT in Game 7 so while an upset, not a crazy one especially considering their goaltending was better.

Yeah honestly I'd argue in reality the only real SHOCKING result was Tampa getting swept. Penguins losing shouldn't be that surprising, maybe them getting swept was a little surprising, but I think the only real shocking team not winning Round 1 was Tampa.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Some of that though was people just picking chalk a little too much. Granted the two sweeps were surprising because of who got swept, but the Penguins were a shaky team with a terrible blue line that I think most of us just figured would get by the Islanders on their top end talent...despite the fact the Islanders had home ice because they actually finished higher in the regular season. Columbus was super hot going into the playoffs while Tampa had nothing to play for basically the last month and a half of the season. Obviously we were defending champs and won our division, but we go to double OT in Game 7 so while an upset, not a crazy one especially considering their goaltending was better.

Yeah honestly I'd argue in reality the only real SHOCKING result was Tampa getting swept. Penguins losing shouldn't be that surprising, maybe them getting swept was a little surprising, but I think the only real shocking team not winning Round 1 was Tampa.

You're nuts dude. Regardless of what you feel, these playoffs were all about the underdog and it is pretty widely accepted. Canes beating the Caps was a huge upset, you're just deflecting.

Merrith

Sorry stoic, I mean to add I didn't really find any of the West Round 1 results that crazy. Dallas and the Blues had both been hotter teams down the stretch who had to battle to get in, Sharks/Vegas was a toss up in general...and Colorado has that top line that can beat anyone when they get goaltending like they did from Grubauer.

Merrith

You're nuts dude. Regardless of what you feel, these playoffs were all about the underdog and it is pretty widely accepted. Canes beating the Caps was a huge upset, you're just deflecting.

It's only "huge" because we were the defending champs. You're talking a difference of only 5 standings points 104 versus 99 in the regular season. That's virtually nothing....AND it took double OT in Game 7 that we had leads of 2-0 and 3-1 in but our goalie shit the bed. That's nothing compared to 128 point Tampa tied for most wins in NHL history with 62 (out of 82 games) getting SWEPT by Columbus a full THIRTY points behind them with 98 on the season. You're just being sensationalist.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
It's only "huge" because we were the defending champs. You're talking a difference of only 5 standings points 104 versus 99 in the regular season. That's virtually nothing....AND it took double OT in Game 7 that we had leads of 2-0 and 3-1 in but our goalie shit the bed. That's nothing compared to 128 point Tampa tied for most wins in NHL history with 62 (out of 82 games) getting SWEPT by Columbus a full THIRTY points behind them with 98 on the season. You're just being sensationalist.

That terrible argument isn't really worth dissecting, you can do better.

Regardless, would you have taken the Canes over your Caps in October? Cause that was the whole point of the post you initially tried to disagree with.

Merrith

That terrible argument isn't really worth dissecting, you can do better.

Regardless, would you have taken the Canes over your Caps in October? Cause that was the whole point of the post you initially tried to disagree with.

Picking in October didn't really come through in your original post that I replied to. It also isn't really relevant to who I would pick come playoff time. Blues were last place in the league in January, and we saw what they did even making the playoffs. It's not like a team getting really hot down the stretch going deep/winning it all is some new thing. Kings for their 1st Cup basically the poster child for this, Penguins a few times after making coaching changes midseason after Jan 1st, us after key trade acquisition to shore up our defense last year. Many models are starting to pick more on how teams are performing over their last 25 games versus the entire season, because it does seem to matter if you go in playing extremely well.

I'm not sure how you see it as a terrible argument. Other than us having won the Cup the previous season not much made us big favorites over Carolina, and going into the series knowing Kempny was done for the year and off our top pairing D, and losing Oshie our 2nd leading goal scorer a few games into the series...the end result wasn't that crazy. And again, it went to double OT in Game 7. Upsets like that happen quite often in Round 1. Btw, I love how the idea of picking the Capitals to lose a Game 7 at home is some outlandish thing.

Now if you want to talk Tampa or Pittsburgh, I totally get it. Even though technically Pittsburgh was the lower seed, their pedigree had most of us just assuming they'd go through. But there were plenty of signs Isles could win that series. The only really surprising thing was that it ended up a sweep. Which leaves us mainly with the Tampa series as the only real massive upset of Round 1.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Merrith Merrith
These playoffs were so unpredictable. Gonna see a whole lot of GM's take the "anything can happen" approach when roster building this summer. Should make for some interesting moves.

Not to be a dick but I didn't really read past the first paragraph. I know better than to argue with you when you get backed into a corner. You're splitting hairs to support your narrative while I am painting a clear picture with broad strokes.

Merrith

Merrith Merrith

Not to be a dick but I didn't really read past the first paragraph. I know better than to argue with you when you get backed into a corner. You're splitting hairs to support your narrative while I am painting a clear picture with broad strokes.

You're saying "this summer" but basing it on what happened in this year's playoffs, and stating that this year's playoffs were a "anything can happen" as if we had just result after result that was super surprising/out of left field. Sure, we'll pick favorites come October depending on who teams gain/lose...but injuries, coaching changes, hot streak/cold streaks will all have an effect on how "the favorites" change once we come around to playoff time next year. I point to the list of teams with the most wins in the 2nd half of the season this year. I didn't know you assumed people pointing out facts counter to a narrative you wanted to push meant they were "backed into a corner".

1. Tampa 30 wins
2. St. Louis 28 wins
3. Carolina 27 wins
4. Boston 26 wins
5. San Jose Sharks 25 wins
6. New York Islanders 25 wins

Tampa gets upset, and the next 4 teams are literally the Conference Finalists this year. Isles swept Pens in round 1.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
You're saying "this summer" but basing it on what happened in this year's playoffs, and stating that this year's playoffs were a "anything can happen" as if we had just result after result that was super surprising/out of left field. Sure, we'll pick favorites come October depending on who teams gain/lose...but injuries, coaching changes, hot streak/cold streaks will all have an effect on how "the favorites" change once we come around to playoff time next year. I point to the list of teams with the most wins in the 2nd half of the season this year. I didn't know you assumed people pointing out facts counter to a narrative you wanted to push meant they were "backed into a corner".

1. Tampa 30 wins
2. St. Louis 28 wins
3. Carolina 27 wins
4. Boston 26 wins
5. San Jose Sharks 25 wins
6. New York Islanders 25 wins

Tampa gets upset, and the next 4 teams are literally the Conference Finalists this year. Isles swept Pens in round 1.

Why don't we have a 10 page debate on a topic I give zero fucks about, based on a random musing I had with which you still seem to struggle to interpret.

Merrith

Why don't we have a 10 page debate on a topic I give zero fucks about, based on a random musing I had with which you still seem to struggle to interpret.

Simple question then, which results, other than Columbus sweeping Tampa, do you believe were massive surprises that should give coaches the belief that anything can happen?

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
NBC was stroking Tuukaa's shaft, cupping his balls and lightly running their tongues around the head of his penis before the game. Everyone expected him to win the Conn Smythe. Of course I was hoping for a big win like this, but I didn't actually expect to be up 4-0 in the 3rd. I wonder wtf happened to Rask.

These guys will be St. Louis legends for all eternity. Brett Hull is confirmed wasted.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Simple question then, which results, other than Columbus sweeping Tampa, do you believe were massive surprises that should give coaches the belief that anything can happen?

First, they were already saying that last year with Vegas' success.

Second, literally each Division leading team lost to a WC team. Avs over CGY in 5 was a huge upset. Blues over Jets, Stars over friggen Nashville??

And yes, Isles and Canes. No one would of guessed they would even MAKE the playoffs in Oct. Regardless of stats, Caps and Pens had the stars and playoff experience. Those were huge upsets (especially the Isles sweep). It's not my opinion, it is literally everyone's opinion. THEY RE DID THE ENTIRE BRACKET CHALLENGE.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
NBC was stroking Tuukaa's shaft, cupping his balls and lightly running their tongues around the head of his penis before the game. Everyone expected him to win the Conn Smythe. Of course I was hoping for a big win like this, but I didn't actually expect to be up 4-0 in the 3rd. I wonder wtf happened to Rask.

These guys will be St. Louis legends for all eternity. Brett Hull is confirmed wasted.

Binnington basically won them their first cup and it only took him 6 months. He's gonna get one of those insane contracts that looks really bad in 5 years.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I guess we shouldn't expect our dear friend Uber Uberest to give us a live report from some shit hole Southie bar.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

First, they were already saying that last year with Vegas' success.

Second, literally each Division leading team lost to a WC team. Avs over CGY in 5 was a huge upset. Blues over Jets, Stars over friggen Nashville??

And yes, Isles and Canes. No one would of guessed they would even MAKE the playoffs in Oct. Regardless of stats, Caps and Pens had the stars and playoff experience. Those were huge upsets (especially the Isles sweep). It's not my opinion, it is literally everyone's opinion. THEY RE DID THE ENTIRE BRACKET CHALLENGE.

Vegas was a damn good team last year, though. Also even this year you still heard people saying that they lucked out a bit that last year's Winnipeg and Nashville teams had to play a 7 game war in Round 2 (certainly didn't hurt them, and another reason why some still want the playoff format changed again). They were also one of the hotter teams this year, and we all know how their Game 7 in Round 1 could have gone differently without THAT major penalty.

Yes, each division winner lost to a WC team...although it should be pointed out, I already agreed that Tampa was a huge upset. But Boston had a better record than ANY of the other division winners.

The 5 Metro teams that got in had point totals of 104, 103, 100, 99, and 98. 6 point spread between 5 teams is hardly large, plus we were going in against that Carolina team that had been playing amazingly well in the 2nd half of the season, down a top D man, losing Oshie, and with a rookie head coach (Trotz with Isles). For that to go double OT in Game 7 doesn't really qualify as a huge upset to me. I'd also disagree about Canes not being picked to make the playoffs in October. Canes have been the advanced stat community's baby for the last few years for how they control shot/scoring attempts in their games, but weren't getting quite the finishing talent/goaltending to make the next step.

Isles I'd agree nobody picked to go in October, but it's hardly shocking for a surprise team to get in, also with the unusual (unprecented?) variable of being coached by the coach who won the Stanley Cup the previous season. Pens were bad in the 2nd half of the season, and again Isles were the higher seed. Sweep was unexpected, but looking at the Penguins blue line and knowing Sidney Crosby managed 1 assist and 0 goals in 4 games...you might have guessed that would be the case.

I'd say Avs over Calgary was a moderate upset, although my first response to your original post was that goaltending needs to come through, and Grubauer put up a 0.947 sv % over the last 4 games of that series, which is pretty crazy (maybe we should have traded Holtby?). You also had the Avs winning both OT games in the series, which were huge momentum factors, especially when you consider they had to tie BOTH of those games with under 3 minutes to go in the 3rd (and one was a comeback from down 2-0 in the 3rd in Game 4). Also, not to beat the drum about playing well down the stretch...but Colorado went 7-1-2 in its last 10 to secure the final playoff spot, 16 points out of 20. That was 2nd best in the league in the last 10 games, 2nd only to...your Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues.

Blues over Jets? I mean they both had 99 points in the regular season, both only 1 less than Nashville who won that division, and Blues as we've noted had been super hot while the Jets came into the playoffs pretty cold.

Even Stars and Nashville you're only talking about a 7 point difference between the two teams, and Dallas was literally the #1 defensive team in the league going against the team with the dead fucking last PP in the league in the regular season. Btw want to know how many PP goals Nashville scored in their 6 game series? Nada. 0 for 15.

And for all that, the Finals went 7 with the 2nd best team in the league versus the hottest team in the league in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs. They may have redid the bracket challenge, but I wonder how many people would have picked Caps/Pens in Round 1 if we hadn't played each other 3 years running in Round 2 and won the last 3 Cups versus just basing it off how the actual teams played this year and how their opponents did.

TL;DR Many of us picked too much chalk from previous years, and not based on this year (and especially how teams played going into the playoffs). Throw in the usual hot goalie/bad match ups in certain series...you get a good number of lower seeds beating higher seeds, but nothing I'd dub a HUGE upset outside of Tampa losing how they did.