2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wings have signed Athanasiou to 2 years at $3m a year. Now lets see him prove he's worth it. He can be great offensively but sometimes a defensive liability. I want to see him get things figured out so we can see more stuff like this from him.

Reminds me of Kuznetsov with the skating and the way he handles the puck there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

A lot of Wings fans, myself included, were thinking of this Datsyuk highlight when Athanasiou did that.

I probably should have went to Dats, although since Kuznetsov tried to pattern a lot of his game based on Dats' it kind of works out in the end.

Karlsson to Tampa trade talk heating up big time. I know they'd need to move salary to make it work, and especially with the cap hell they're going to be in after next season with guys needing new deals. Rumors are Sergachev going back the other way as part of the deal but who knows. Hearing they might look for a 3rd team to help make salary work.

Merrith

6 years and $5.17M a year for Wilson. That's...more expensive than I was hoping for. Wasn't expecting 6 years either though, so definitely was going to be more around the $4.5 or higher range, but man, 5.17 a year is a lot for Wilson. He's definitely worth more than just what his goals and assist totals were but I think those need to come up more for him to be worth this much money.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks similar to how the Wings overpaid Abdelkader after a couple seasons of Datsyuk bouncing pucks off him.

Merrith

Looks similar to how the Wings overpaid Abdelkader after a couple seasons of Datsyuk bouncing pucks off him.

Well we are talking about a guy who put up 5 and 10 for 15 points in 21 playoff games too. I doubt you'll see a drop in his numbers if he stays on the top line with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. That number just kind of requires him to be a 20 goal guy in my mind. His even strength point production is actually very good, but he doesn't get any PP time so hard to hit certain marks.

Juvarisx

Florida
Frankly paying any winger who hasn't scored more then 30 points in a season that kind of money is stupid. You should NEVER give out contracts based on one playoff performance, look what happened to the Sabers and Ville Leino, and he atleast had a 50+ point season too.

Merrith

Frankly paying any winger who hasn't scored more then 30 points in a season that kind of money is stupid. You should NEVER give out contracts based on one playoff performance, look what happened to the Sabers and Ville Leino, and he atleast had a 50+ point season too.

fwiw Wilson had 35 points last year. Only 1 power play assist to pad that total, too. Again I think a lot of the value they see is he's one of if not the best penalty killing forward we have, along with the physical play and space he makes for Kuznetsov and Ovechkin on the top line.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Wings finally got Larkin's deal done. 5 years at 6.1 AAV. Right in line with what was expected.

• 1Like

Merrith

Not sure how to feel about this season. Pressure totally off having won a Cup, but we pretty much are bringing back the entire team outside of backup goalie (but our top prospect might end up taking that spot) and our 4C who Vancouver completely overpaid.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Sweet.

Anyone else into EA NHL hockey? Thinking about buying the new one but only played the demos of the last 3.

I buy them every year like a true sucker, they are OK but in true hockey fashion the afterthought EA sports title. If you are into the "Ultimate Team" stuff EA puts out, you can have some fun collecting players and doing ranked shit but that p2w line gets super thin real quick.

What keeps me coming back is the Be a Pro Mode and more specifically the EASHL. In those modes you are locked into playing your position. Playing a full 6v6 where all players understand the game and positioning is incredibly rewarding in terms of fun factor, however the shallow player pool makes those moments a tad scarce if you are doing "drop-ins". Join a ps4 community or search reddit and you can form/join a static team and rank your team up and compete in monthly tourny's and the such unlocking customization for your player and arena. This year they improved upon that experience (after completely dumbing it down 4 years ago) by allowing you to level up and unlock perks to sort of spec out the pre assigned player types (i.e. Sniper, power forward, grinder etc..). Dicked around with it in Beta and it was an improvement over the system of prior years overall as it allows for a little more versatility between players.

Then they added CHEL this year which is also like what I mentioned above but super arcadey and I think mostly 3v3? Quick, high paced bursts of low commitment fun but will get old real fast IMO.

I always feel I get my monies worth personally. If you are new to the franchise, like video games and Hockey I can't imagine you not feeling the same.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I buy them every year like a true sucker, they are OK but in true hockey fashion the afterthought EA sports title. If you are into the "Ultimate Team" stuff EA puts out, you can have some fun collecting players and doing ranked shit but that p2w line gets super thin real quick.

What keeps me coming back is the Be a Pro Mode and more specifically the EASHL. In those modes you are locked into playing your position. Playing a full 6v6 where all players understand the game and positioning is incredibly rewarding in terms of fun factor, however the shallow player pool makes those moments a tad scarce if you are doing "drop-ins". Join a ps4 community or search reddit and you can form/join a static team and rank your team up and compete in monthly tourny's and the such unlocking customization for your player and arena. This year they improved upon that experience (after completely dumbing it down 4 years ago) by allowing you to level up and unlock perks to sort of spec out the pre assigned player types (i.e. Sniper, power forward, grinder etc..). Dicked around with it in Beta and it was an improvement over the system of prior years overall as it allows for a little more versatility between players.

Then they added CHEL this year which is also like what I mentioned above but super arcadey and I think mostly 3v3? Quick, high paced bursts of low commitment fun but will get old real fast IMO.

I always feel I get my monies worth personally. If you are new to the franchise, like video games and Hockey I can't imagine you not feeling the same.

Cool thx