2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lightning can get away with much lower contracts though due to taxes. Point @ $9M would probably take home more than Marner.

Taxes dont explain it and people should stop using it as a reason. Other teams in low tax states dont sign all their stars to these player friendly deals. Players in Canada getting payed in US dollars dont care that their cost of living is comparatively much lower, etc, etc. Tampa deserves all the credit for getting their players to buy in to their vision for the team.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider

Pretty good breakdown on the RFA situation in regards to some notable forwards that I found interesting.

Fadaar

That guy
If Point wants to get paid like Marner they're better off letting him go. Kucherov is the highest paid on the team @ $9.5M and he (Point) doesn't deserve that. He needs to be more in the $7-8M range.

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This makes me feel very good about Ovechkin signing another deal here (along with other comments made by him about chasing Gretzky). The fear of opening it early and lockout would have made jumping back to KHL much more attractive

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Caps 1st and 3rd round picks both on the board with points tonight, and noted goal scorer Tommy Wilson with the almost coast to coast game winner in OT.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Hating the Rangers schedule already. Only three pre season games played so far and then 3 in the first 15 days of regular season.... so lame.

Fadaar

That guy
Same shit the Lightning had last season. Super slow early schedule.

Edit: wow not even close, their 4th game was on day 11 of their season. First game Oct 6th, fourth on the 16th. Poor Rags. Season actually started on the 3rd but that still wouldn't be 15 days.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Apparently he gets 9 mil in year 3, jacking up his QO going into free agency. Still crazy good deal. I swear, if TB can't win the whole darn thing by then I won't know what to think anymore.

Fadaar

That guy
If Point wants to get paid like Marner they're better off letting him go. Kucherov is the highest paid on the team @ $9.5M and he (Point) doesn't deserve that. He needs to be more in the $7-8M range.

And I thought I was shooting low. Only a 3 year deal though and Vasy's new contract due to kick in next season. Most important thing is it protects him from Seattle (I think right? Fresh contracts are safe?) and will likely let Tyler Johnson go to the expansion draft. Can't afford everyone and he's a Washington native.