2018-2019 NBA Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Figured this was as good a time as any to start it. And to kick it off?

Sources: Lakers, Spurs reopen talks on Kawhi

To be honest though, I don't want them to sacrifice the future for the last few years of Lebron being relevant. Plus I REALLY don't want to be rooting for the same team as Gaige.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
A part of me kind of wants to see Kawhi turn into Derrick Rose 2.0 for being a little bit of a bitch.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From the other thread, how to fix team stacking. It is easy, hard team salary cap and no limits on individual player salary. Unless a couple of players are willing to take well under market, team stacking golden state or LeBron style will be impossible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
You don't even need a hard cap, just removing max contracts would do it. Its easy for players like KD or Lebron to pass up an extra 5-10 million a year. But passing up on an extra 20-40 million per year or more is a whole different ballgame. Shit would balance out in a hurry and it would totally change the NBA landscape. Hopefully they wait another 5-6 years at least to try something like this though :)

And lets be honest, superteams make the league interesting. I say this not only as a fan of the current reigning superteam, but as a fan who had to watch other cities superteams for decades before my team ever got here. I would always look forward to those top tier NBA matchups. If the league moved to a situation where teams for the most part just have one superstar, I'm not sure it'd be as compelling? Maybe it'd be more compelling, its just so hard to envision cause the league has really never been like that.

• 1Cutler
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

No max cap contracts are not a great idea because it will totally handicap a team for years if they make one wrong decision or have one bad injury. It's better to prevent teams from totally fucking themselves because they won't be able to resist otherwise.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
They could just add a more frequent provision that allows removal of bad contracts from counting against the cap.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Hearing rumors of LeBron wanting Durant to go to the Lakers with him. That would be awesome.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Hearing rumors of LeBron wanting Durant to go to the Lakers with him. That would be awesome.
I had read that too, and then I saw the source was Stephen A Smith, and I immediately dismissed it.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I'd bet Lebron DID text / call KD about it. It'd be the best move Lebron could make to increase his chances at another title. Saw this coming months ago when Lebron picked KD #1 for the all star game. Good thing KD seems to not be down with that idea. Why help Lebron get more rings when KD has a chance to match him next year?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Hoping pg and LBJ head to lala land. Fucking sick of GSW
If the whole thing with both of them and Kawhi going there would be pretty scary with how good they'd be defensively on the perimeter which is something that gives GSW issues. Without Kawhi they'd obviously still be good, but not sure it's enough to make them better than Golden State or Houston. Being a Spurs fan this Kawhi shit is really aggravating.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Hoping pg and LBJ head to lala land. Fucking sick of GSW

They would need Kawhi or at least one more superstar to actually beat the warriors. They would at least win one game in the finals though.

Something people dont seem to understand is that it isn't the warriors having four superstars, although that does help. It's the way the stars play. Warriors spacing is just incredibly hard to defend regardless of your athletic skill or defensive system. They string you out all over the court and can hit shots from about anywhere. They also aren't a three point dependent team. Sure they are going to use that style most nights but when steph or clay aren't feeling it you still have a good isoball/paint game with Durant and green. Then you start switching and rotating to help with that only to have curry dropping dagger threes like this years game three.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
How the fuck did Presti convince PG to stay in OKC?

Three words: Total. Career. Earnings.

Dude will get paid a lot of extra money staying in OKC (because timing + old age + Bird rights + supermax) plus he avoids CA taxes. If he left OKC he'd be leaving somewhere between 40-80 million on the table in salary.

Dude will make $34M/year for 3 years then at 31 gets a sweet 5 year contract for $240M+ in OKC which takes him to 36, still possibly time for one last big paycheck after that depending how well he holds up.

PG13 is chasing the dollar signs as part of a team that's good enough when no better contender was going to pitch him. As constructed OKC will never be great but the Lakeshow has a lot of risk and he'd lose out on $100M plus after taxes.

• 2Like

DickTrickle

Gotta say, that's a hell of a job by OKC. Really would not have bet on this outcome, especially with three years guaranteed.

Why did KD take the one and one?

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Gotta say, that's a hell of a job by OKC. Really would not have bet on this outcome, especially with three years guaranteed.

Why did KD take the one and one?

Flexibility for the team. He/they can re-evaluate the cap situation and how to keep everyone together with Klay and Draymond's contracts coming up in the next 2 summers.

Klay and Draymond both missed All-NBA this year. Their contract options will be significantly different if they can make All-NBA next year (alternatively Draymond also could be DPOY again).

Golden State doesn't know how much those guys are eligible to be paid. KD continues to sacrifice millions of dollars to keep the team alive and save the owners huge amounts of cash they'll surely find a way to get to him on the back end.