2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yeah, wtf, I walk away for 15 minutes and this happens? So we trade a 2nd for Sammy last year and let him walk and now we trade our 1st for Cooks (a guy thats been on 2 teams already before his rookie deal is up) and now it's the same situation?

Seems real dumb to me but what do I know?

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, wtf, I walk away for 15 minutes and this happens? So we trade a 2nd for Sammy last year and let him walk and now we trade our 1st for Cooks (a guy thats been on 2 teams already before his rookie deal is up) and now it's the same situation?

Seems real dumb to me but what do I know?

In hindsight yeah makes more sense why not just keep Watkins, and the 1st rounder. Not the ideal situation, but Cooks isn't that bad.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
He's obviously not a bad player, but he's also played for two of the best offensive teams in the NFL and 2 hall of fame QB's. Now we have no picks until the 3rd fucking round and we have a bunch of nobodies at LB'er and a 37 year old LT.

Now we either have to re-sign him to an expensive LTD or let him walk just like Sammy and WR really wasn't a huge position of need imo.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah Pats got his last cheap year and got arguably a better deal a year later somehow and opened up a bunch of sal cap space they can use elsewhere.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
They did get a better deal, they moved up to 23 in the first round, that's more draft capital than they gave up. Seems like a lot to give up for a guy you basically have to fucking re-sign to a ridiculous deal now. I think I would have rather given up another 1st for OBJ than do this deal.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
They did get a better deal, they moved up to 23 in the first round, that's more draft capital than they gave up. Seems like a lot to give up for a guy you basically have to fucking re-sign to a ridiculous deal now. I think I would have rather given up another 1st for OBJ than do this deal.
Yeah I gotta agree there. On the surface this appears to be the 1st big misstep by the Rams this offseason.

Time will tell.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If it was a 2nd, I wouldn't bat an eye. Giving up the 1st is too much.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
OBJ would have cost 2 firsts and 20 mil a year. He wants entirely to much money and I would never trade for him at those rates. This deal was cheap for the Rams by comparrison.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Cooks is still going to command top money, fucking Sammy Watkins got $16M a year.

I'm coming around on this though, guy is a proven 1k+ yards per year receiver who is still young and fast as shit. He's definitely an upgrade over Watkins. Just felt like we have other glaring needs on this team but hey, these guys are going all in and have improved both sides of the ball this offseason.

Man, when's the fucking season start. Draft gonna be fucking boring again, no fucking picks until round 3.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The Rams are mortgaging the future trying to buy a SB run to get their stadium built. They should be contenders barring key injuries, but I don't see how they can keep the team together more than a season or two with all these high dollar free agents and the need to pay Goff and Gurley before long.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The Rams are mortgaging the future trying to buy a SB run to get their stadium built. They should be contenders barring key injuries, but I don't see how they can keep the team together more than a season or two with all these high dollar free agents and the need to pay Goff and Gurley before long.
And Aaron Donald, who needs a contract extension sooner. And other than a QB, he is going to command the most money.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
They have the 2nd most cap space in the league next year and the most the year after. They can sign all these guys. They're going to have to probably let guys like Suh, Talib, Whitworth go after a couple of years. Of course, if they DO sign all these guys they'll have to fill the rest of the roster out with draft picks.

Can't say it's not going to be an interesting experiment. (in a couple years we'll have to replace guys on the OL with draft picks and that never works well)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They will have the money to pay Cooks, Donald and Peters, and probably Gurley and then the looming payday for Goff, if they re-structure a couple of things they could probably even keep Suh on a short term deal if he plays well, or spend money elsewhere. But Talib and most likely Suh and Whitworth will be gone after 2019.

Cooks is a good player I just worry about him after the Eagles literally fucking blasted him into the nether realm. As soon as I saw him take that hit I was like wow hes hurt. ANd sure enough he suffered a concussion and missed the rest of the Super Bowl. Im sure he will be fine but if he gets another concussion early in the season Im really going to worry about him. Guys are going to try and light him up,he is a tough guy so Im sure hell be fine but jesus he got blasted in that Super Bowl.

Like I keep saying, the Rams year is 2018. It has to be. I mean maybe 2019 they can make another run if they come up short this year, but with all of this fucking talent, offensive POY, defensive POY, fucking coach of the year, a franchise QB, a star WR, a star RB, a shutdown top 3 corner, Suh, the nastiest and dirtiest, (but effective) player there is, Talib on the other side of the back field, and a bunch of other guys I cant name because Im not a Rams fan. Either way, its Super Bowl or bust IMO. Im not saying their window is closed after this year, they are just so ridiculously talented that anything BUT a SB is a failure. Imagine if they have like a crazy draft and find a late round gem who becomes a pro bowler or something? The sky is the limit, I just think their apex is now, not in 2019 or 2020. The longer it goes without them winning it all, the lesser their chances IMO, considering the upcoming Goff contract obligations and paying everyone else.

Im not too high on the Rams, as the NFC is super stacked, but I think they are good enough to win now. The Niners are most definitely not. They might be in 2019 and 2020 though, and as time goes on that team is going to get better and the Rams worse.

edit: Think of what it feels like to be a Rams fan now, compared to say the 2016 off-season with Jeff Fisher. LOL. It must be like night and day.

Last edited:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Chargers signed Geno Smith for some reason. Not digging Lynn's QB selections so far.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If Goff is indeed an elite franchise level QB the Rams will always be contenders. Their window is not like 2-3 years haha.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That is obviously not true. Elite QBs miss the playoffs every year.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, even if Goff is like a Matt Stafford lite, the Rams are still going to pay him a ton of money, and a poor mans Matt Stafford isnt that bad. I think thats probably his floor, his cieling, who knows, he could end up being a pro bowl QB.

Either way he is going into year 3, and now he has a full year plus under his belt of live game action, should be comfortable in McVays offense, and is providing the Rams immense value while he is on his rookie deal, even as #1 pick. Their free agency behavior is clearly showing they agree with me, as in they are pushing all the chips into the middle of the table for 2018. Like I siad, Im not saying they wont contend after this year, I just think they are in win now mode and it came fast, and people have to accept it. They are a top 4 team in the NFL now, they need to win at least one fucking playoff game at home if they get a bye and home field.