2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Sources: Falcons' Jones won't report to camp

Julio Jones officially holding out. I get that these guys get upset at seeing fully guaranteed contracts in the NBA, and maybe even jealous as newer contracts award others more money. But in his case, he has 3 years remaining. He just signed this contract a couple of years ago. Yes, he is probably the most dominant receiver (arguable against Brown maybe) but he really doesn't have much of a leg to stand on here.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
His deal is basically no risk for the Falcons after this year, they're free to cut him.

So he technically has 3 years remaining but only 1 year of guaranteed pay.

It's a bit of an obtuse point to make and I don't know if he'll be successful. Dude wants to make sure he gets paid one last time before he retires, may as well try and secure that now?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I get that. But if that is the stance you are going to take, don't sign such a long term deal on your previous one.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, exactly. I mean, look at the NBA, there have been tons of short deals (1 and 1s, 2 and 1s, etc) because the stars were banking on themselves so they could have more money/freedom later. It carried the risk of losing out because of injury but they made that business decision. NFL players could do similar things, especially if you're a star and with the way salaries jump over even a few years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Exactly. Obviously with football the injury concern is much higher. So you have to make your choice. Either sign a longer term deal and live with it, or gamble on yourself and try to get a shorter term deal.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Going to have to process this, why the fuck are we extending him after his 3rd year with a record deal? He was absolutely terrible in year 2 as well.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well, I've talked myself into it already. Locked up until he's 29 and signs before any other big RB contracts so this will probably look like a steal in a few years if he remains healthy.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I don't see how you can pay Gurley (and especially fucking Cooks), no matter how valuable he truly is, without taking care of Donald first.

• 2Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I don't see how you can pay Gurley (and especially fucking Cooks), no matter how valuable he truly is, without taking care of Donald first.
Because this helps set a standard for the team, takes care of one guy early for a deal that will likely look like a steal, and lets the team plan better for future cap. Rams still have asstons of cap the next two years. Donald is going to get the biggest D contract in history and I really do think it's more about not wanting to be the first domino of top 5 defenders getting paid.

Gurley's contract averages out to about $12 mil per year on the cap and he's signed until he is 29. That's his entire prime for the guy that was the offensive MVP last year. Hopefully Donald sees that and wants to get something done as well. You still have Goff under control for 3 more years, now you just have to work on Donald and Peters. I'd guess they take this year to see how Peters does on the Rams before any possible extensions there.

I think Donald is signed before the Season starts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gurley is 3 years younger. No way do you give a RB long term top money at 26/27 years old. Top money 1-2 years at a time only.

There's always going to be exceptions. A 3 year deal for Bell I think would carry some risk (at least, a deal you could get out of after 3 years)...but he might be worth it.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
There's always going to be exceptions. A 3 year deal for Bell I think would carry some risk (at least, a deal you could get out of after 3 years)...but he might be worth it.

The Steelers have offered this. The issue is Bell wants long term top tier top guaranteed money. He wants something like a QB contract full of guaranteed money. Fuck him seriously.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
There is also almost assuredly going to be a work stoppage in 2021, who knows what the landscape will look like by then?

What do you care if some football player gets guaranteed money or not? They're putting their future health on the line every second they're on the field and a RB takes the brunt of the abuse in the NFL. It's obvious the NFL players are jealous of NBA/MLB contracts, I can't fault them for that.

That said, they're all overpaid babies playing a game for a living, it just happens to be one I enjoy watching :p

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Me personally I don't care. Whole contract can be guaranteed for all I care. The Steelers offered him a contract at 12 million a year on a 5 year contract. He turned it down. Hence the fuck him.

They get offered guaranteed money but opted for higher salaries in the last negotiation.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Dude has a point though, best RB in the NFL being paid 12 million a year, especially in a position that has a short shelf life? Regardless of the more recent views on franchise RB's, they do get the ball more often than anyone not the QB.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
RBs are not really worth more than that. It's not like Bell has been dragging a shit team to contenders. He's completely replacable. Maybe not 100% but when you can get 80-90% and save 10-15million a year it doesn't make the case for overpaying aging RBs.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I love Bell but RBs are too risky for huge contracts and they need to come to terms with it. Doesn't help that he liked to miss a bunch of games due to pot.

• 2Like