2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/06/us/nfl-male-dancers-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

97849A45-299F-4E64-8487-C91EF53BF6B7.jpeg

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
PATS reportedly have cut wr mitchell

drafted 2 years ago, did good in the superbowl that year but was injured for most of the season. last year, injured all season, this year...hasn't practiced much, and had to have...another knee procedure.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Male cheerleaders...that's gonna get those ratings back up.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I get the feeling the Lions won the jackpot getting Matt Patricia.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I would put it more like 4 Superbowl rings, been with Belichick since 2004(coached on offense and defense). Easily the best head coach hire this year. He probably has more post season experience than half the head coaches do or more.

• 2Like

Fadaar

That guy
half? i'd say damn near all except for maybe Tomlin

edit: actually no Tomlin didn't take over til 2006, so yeah he's probably got the second most behind Darth Bill

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
First year head coaches as a whole have a pretty horrible combined record, even ones that came from great teams, even ones specifically from the Patriots. If the Lions do great this year then I'll gladly praise Patricia, but the jury is very much still out.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Could blame Pats' D for all 3 of their SB losses. 2 blown leads with under 5 minutes to go (one with under 3 minutes to go), and a game in which Brady threw for 500+ and 3 TD's but D gave up 40+.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Blame the greatest offense ever assembled for 07 lost, under 20 points come on. Blame Welker drop for 11 loss. Blame defense and Belichick benching Buttlar for thIs year.

Merrith

Blame the greatest offense ever assembled for 07 lost, under 20 points come on. Blame Welker drop for 11 loss. Blame defense and Belichick benching Buttlar for thIs year.

07 team still hands their D a 4 point lead with under 3 minutes to play. At that point I'm sorry, however many points you scored or didn't score you're talking about 1 stop pretty much ending the game, and all you need to do is prevent a TD. Moss could easily have had his SB moment with the game winning catch if the D steps up for that stop.

Welker drop definitely hurt, but again they had the lead with under 5 to go. Less margin for error in that one only up 2 points, but basically just one stop away from another title.

I doubt we'll ever get the full story on the Butler benching this past year, which is a shame.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I doubt we'll ever get the full story on the Butler benching this past year, which is a shame.

It was medical related. That is the only reason it won't be talked about.

• 1Like

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
It was medical related. That is the only reason it won't be talked about.

Why did he play on the punt coverage team, why was he dressed? It was personal because Butler didn’t sign the offer presented to him that previous offseason. Belichick made Butler, and tried to destroy him, let his ego get in the way and cost himself a championship.

I’m just going to have to disagree with you Merrith Merrith using your logic you’d have to blame Brady and the Patriots offense for this past super bowl because they had the ball with 3 minutes to go and a TD wins the game, but Brady fumbled so the offense cost them. People always put more weight on the final possession, every stop the D got in 07 and 11 ways equally. The offenses lost those championships, regardless of who was on the field at the end of the game.

• 1Like

Merrith

I’m just going to have to disagree with you Merrith Merrith using your logic you’d have to blame Brady and the Patriots offense for this past super bowl because they had the ball with 3 minutes to go and a TD wins the game, but Brady fumbled so the offense cost them. People always put more weight on the final possession, every stop the D got in 07 and 11 ways equally. The offenses lost those championships, regardless of who was on the field at the end of the game.

Actually that's not my logic. My logic is pointing out that needing one stop is easier than needing one TD to win. If the Pats score there it's kind of on the Eagles' D for blowing the stop. Pats were also getting the ball back down 5 with less time left (it wasn't 3 minutes left, it was only 2:21) than the Giants had getting the ball on their game winning drives in the other two Super Bowls. Making it even tougher on them. Wasn't like Brady just dropped the ball either, O line allowed a sack.

Maybe I'm crazy and teams actually score a TD on the final drive more than 50% of the time when down 1 score (and I will grant, a TD on a possession was far more likely in the Super Bowl last year versus on a possession in the two against the Giants), but I doubt it.

In theory every stop should weigh equally, but that isn't the case when you figure in the clock. It's the same argument I make that people in here never understand when a team is down 15 needing two TD's with 1 two point conversion with limited time remaining. A stop at the end of the game is far more valuable in the sense of game time because you can often prevent the opposing team from ever even getting another possession/chance to score again.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
We’re never going to agree. I blame the defense this year. But giving up 17 points in 07 is a recipe for winning, with the greatest offense ever assembled. The offense choked, and lost that game. Giving up 19 points in 2011 is also a recipe for winning, granted that team wasn’t as good, but if you keep a team in the teens, you should win that game. Totally on the offense again.

• 2Like

Fadaar

That guy
but if you keep a team in the teens, you should win that game

As a Bucs fan who had to see them lose to the Greatest Show on Turf after holding them to 11 points, you have no idea how much this sentence enrages me. I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact quite the opposite. Just angers me to think of what should have been a second (well, technically first since 2002 came later) Super Bowl appearance.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Could blame Pats' D for all 3 of their SB losses. 2 blown leads with under 5 minutes to go (one with under 3 minutes to go), and a game in which Brady threw for 500+ and 3 TD's but D gave up 40+.

The only one of those that Patricia was DC for was the latest one. '07 he was LB coach, and '11 he was Safeties coach.

Tho I suppose the conversation has evolved past Patricia.

Merrith

We’re never going to agree. I blame the defense this year. But giving up 17 points in 07 is a recipe for winning, with the greatest offense ever assembled. The offense choked, and lost that game. Giving up 19 points in 2011 is also a recipe for winning, granted that team wasn’t as good, but if you keep a team in the teens, you should win that game. Totally on the offense again.

Eh, get the idea that you hold a team to 17 points you think you should win with that offense...but I think it's a much bigger fail to go up 4 points with ~2:40 to go and the D only has to prevent a TD to win. It's one thing to ask a D to prevent a field goal to potentially tie with the offense also thinking potential TD to win...but in this case they literally knew from the jump they just had to prevent a TD to win. I always remember Seau and Bruschi hyping themselves up on the sidelines after Moss caught the go ahead score. I thought Moss had his moment right there, all they had to do was prevent a TD, anything else and they were gold. D chokes.