2018 Oscars

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
They threw it into Best Pic for progressive feel's but it probably does deserve Original Screenplay

I haven't seen Call Me By Your Name or Phantom Thread yet, but I think Get Out stands up to that list, aside from Shape of Water or Three Billboards, which I would put ahead of the rest of the field, not just Get Out.

My biggest surprise looking at the nominations was that they didn't use the 10th spot in the Best Picture Category for something like I, Tonya (which I thought was great dark comedy and has a nomination in both actress categories).

That and Boss Baby.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
He won the Golden Globe I believe. Seems to be the favorite, although with DDL announcing he's retiring from acting he might get push for one final Best Actor.

Hasn't ddl retired from acting like 5 times already?

Also baby driver gonna have a tough time just for being associated with spacey

spronk

FPS noob
yeah two of the great movies last year - baby driver and wind river - torpedo'd due to spacey & weinstein, unfortunately.

i do find it kind of weird how much hollywood sucks off Call Me By Your Name, which is about a 17 year old kid falling in love with a 28 year old man in Europe. Like if it was a 28 year old dude banging a 17 year old chick that would be (rightfully) nailed as Lolita / pedo, but because its two gay dudes its ok?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Also baby driver gonna have a tough time just for being associated with spacey

I guess people think this retirement will actually stick. Saw some article about "who inherits the title of greatest living actor once DDL is retired"...they pretty much had it a dead heat between Denzel and Tom Hanks.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know, they are both good actors but not DDL become someone else each movie good, denzel seems to be getting to that point in his career where he plays Denzel every movie, my vote would probably be for Gary Oldman

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really hope Bladerunner 2049 picks up a couple technical awards. Some of those shots were fucking majestic, and the overall look of the film was amazing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Dunno about all the other awards, but Gary Oldman is guaranteed to win best actor.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know, they are both good actors but not DDL become someone else each movie good, denzel seems to be getting to that point in his career where he plays Denzel every movie, my vote would probably be for Gary Oldman

I'd definitely give Oldman the oscar this year, for best actor alive (well and working) after DDL retires, I don't know if I'd rank him over the other two right now, although I like the way you put how Denzel plays Denzel every movie.

Funniest thing I ever heard about DDL was someone editing his Wiki to say he was one of only 5 men alive who could accurately fire a long rifle while running at top speed (from his role in Last of the Mohicans)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
DDL already has like 3 oscars for best actor, Oldman has 0 and is overdue. Oldman is a lock.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Lady Bird was only okay and definitely does not deserve all this hype.

Three Billboards was Oscar bait, but was still good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

He retired from stage acting in like the middle of a performance. But on the movie side he's just never been a prolific actor, taking long breaks between roles where he goes off and takes up odd pastimes like shoe making. He's just an peculiar recluse who happens to be one of his generations best actors if not it's very best.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
He retires after every movie. I wouldn't expect it to last more than a year or two.

Fadaar

That guy
He's only got 30 roles on his IMDB page for his entire career. His quality:quantity ratio is insane, a true artist in the most non-faggy way possible.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
While I'm sure I would have made the same joke in the 90s about the Director of Dead Alive ever being nominated for an Oscar, the film with the most nominations is the Del Toro movie about fucking a Merman? Holy shit has Harvey torpedoed this awards season.

But Logan for Adapted Screenplay? Baby Driver for Visual/Sound Editing? Blade Runner for Cinematography / Editing / Sound/ Production Design? Stop trying to make me care about you Oscars!

• 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone have any suggestions on where/how to stream this? (Legal or... otherwise)

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I'm not watching this shit this year, I can only imagine how much more politicized it's going to be.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
Thanks! Do you know where I can find more info about mma-tv? I haven't used it before.

https://www.mma-tv.net/main.php it's normally $10/mo but they're not very stringent about making you pay. You will need to pony up the $10 to access anything though. Great site for sports streaming, pretty much anything you could want. Plus they have a lot of 'big' normal TV stuff available as well like award shows and TV series like GoT, Walking Dead, etc. streaming as it airs.

• 1Like