2019 NFL Offseason: Chargers Started Early

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Without more info its hard to say either way. The arm could have been shredded when they arrived and cut a piece of muscle still attached. He was delivered in critical condition and didn't get raised to stable the following day.

I'm more interested in the 2015 Masarati that was also involved but sustained minimal damage.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I thought about this a bit more today. It's also possible that his arm was hanging by a tiny string of flesh and was already %90 amputated to begin with, and the medics just finished the job.

If bones and vessels were both severed and all that happened was that a small string of tendon or nerve was hanging on by a thread, then I would say that the arm was already effectively fully amputated and the medic merely 'cut the chord' both figuratively and literally.

I can imagine so many different scenarios. If he was bleeding to death and the medics could not get to the source of the bleed without removing that last little bit of ligament or tendon... then I'd say they were justified in finishing the job and then the media spins it as "Medics cut off a man's arm!!!1". But then again, sometimes crush injuries like that are actually dangerous to fuck with because the very thing crushing them is also the thing that is stopping the bleeding.

If he was trapped in a fire or something under the same scenario, then I think the medics might have been justified. It's pretty much common sense, but they do explicitly teach us that life > limb.

The truth is that the level of detail in which this would have to be examined is probably 10-100 times more than we'd ever get from a 'media' source.

I summon Synj Synj .

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
If the medics severed bone, they'd need a tool that no medic I know of ever carries.

If the medics severed major vessels, they'd need not only a protocol for it, but they'd need some major justification.

Knowing the media, my gut-reaction guess is that if the medics did anything, they severed a tiny fragment of tendon and the media then went on to amplify that act to make it sound like a 'full amputation!111' and we all go on to instinctively imagine that scene from the movie 'Dances With Wolves' with the hack-saw.

I also summon Bandwagon Bandwagon

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well part of what I'm saying is there's gonna be a giant lawsuit whether the amputation was justified or not. And yeah the media probably has the barest of details on what actually happened.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Only if the player thinks he was done wrong. It may be possible that he thinks the medics saved his ass.

It may be possible that the medics were dumbfucks.

But yeah, I'm sure some sort of body of authority will investigate it heavily.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If the medics severed bone, they'd need a tool that no medic I know of ever carries.

If the medics severed major vessels, they'd need not only a protocol for it, but they'd need some major justification.

Knowing the media, my gut-reaction guess is that if the medics did anything, they severed a tiny fragment of tendon and the media then went on to amplify that act to make it sound like a 'full amputation!111' and we all go on to instinctively imagine that scene from the movie 'Dances With Wolves' with the hack-saw.

I also summon Bandwagon Bandwagon
I didn't read fuckall in this thread besides Gerbil's post, but this is your friendly neighborhood reminder that EMS does not typically do surgery, and my belief is that a football game is not the type of place where that exception would occur.

Just based off Gerbil's post, I'm guessing there was a secondary injury that happened during traction / immobilization / transport

Not every medic is a medic with private ambulance services. Some DO get to play with big toys. (Go sit in your parking lot and write your reports, you private EMS nerd)

fullsizerender3.jpg

th_0606fe-gustin1.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
First thing to read then was it was car accident, not a game

• 1Worf

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I thought about this a bit more today. It's also possible that his arm was hanging by a tiny string of flesh and was already %90 amputated to begin with, and the medics just finished the job.

If bones and vessels were both severed and all that happened was that a small string of tendon or nerve was hanging on by a thread, then I would say that the arm was already effectively fully amputated and the medic merely 'cut the chord' both figuratively and literally.

I can imagine so many different scenarios. If he was bleeding to death and the medics could not get to the source of the bleed without removing that last little bit of ligament or tendon... then I'd say they were justified in finishing the job and then the media spins it as "Medics cut off a man's arm!!!1". But then again, sometimes crush injuries like that are actually dangerous to fuck with because the very thing crushing them is also the thing that is stopping the bleeding.

If he was trapped in a fire or something under the same scenario, then I think the medics might have been justified. It's pretty much common sense, but they do explicitly teach us that life > limb.

The truth is that the level of detail in which this would have to be examined is probably 10-100 times more than we'd ever get from a 'media' source.

I summon Synj Synj .

It’s rare enough that I’ve never met anyone in clinic or seen anyone in the OR that had a field amputation. All of my amputations were generally of the diabetic/infection variety and not trauma.

But it’s not as hard as everyone thinks. I mean for the patient it sucks but it’s not really that hard to do 😂

Video is using a dummy prosthetic but looks like it would be pretty miserable for the patient:

And from what I understand, sometimes there’s an EMS team that specializes in this stuff but that probably varies by jurisdiction.

An entrapment or a fire might be an indication for a field amputation. I’ve read of some nasty industrial/farm accidents where shit gets wrapped around some thresher or grinder and there’s really not a choice but field amputation.

But as @AG pointed out, even a bad enough fracture could just have skin holding the extremity together. It’d be great to have more info, but I doubt we will.

ER docs do tend to “care” more when someone has an injury related to their ability to earn a living ie an athlete or a musician or something along those lines. But only because they do not want to get sued for costing that patient their livelihood.

Interested to see how this turns out. Sucks for him though but I don’t think someone did that without having a damn good reason.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I didn't read fuckall in this thread besides Gerbil's post, but this is your friendly neighborhood reminder that EMS does not typically do surgery, and my belief is that a football game is not the type of place where that exception would occur.

Just based off Gerbil's post, I'm guessing there was a secondary injury that happened during traction / immobilization / transport

Not every medic is a medic with private ambulance services. Some DO get to play with big toys. (Go sit in your parking lot and write your reports, you private EMS nerd)

View attachment 214304

View attachment 214305

Lol I’m sure that would do the job but an oscillating bone saw is usually what you see in the OR:

Medical-Surgical-Electric-Oscillating-Bone-Saw-with-Blades-NS-1011-.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
Reddit has a thread explaining that normally if something like that has to be done on scene, a surgeon would be taken there in an ambulance with a field kit.

Sounds more plausible than EMTs or paramedics. Just have to wait for more info to come out.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I always hype these guys. They do a great job with their round table.

For you Dallas fans....ruh roh.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme

Not like a full time GM was doing them any favors anyway. But if they are REALLY hard up for one, us Dallas fans would love to lend you ours for the next forever.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Albert Haynesworth's kidneys have failed, in dire need of a transplant.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I can't wait for the NFL season to start. It's like banging a drama queen. You know you shouldn't stick it in crazy but you can't help it.
Why isn't NFL more like hockey?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Melvin Gordon wants a big pay day. He's 26 and making 5.5 million this year. Combine this with his health issues. He is a very important part of our offense but I hope they offer no more than 4 years @32 million.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The Chargers running back, entering the fifth year of his first-round rookie deal, has informed the Chargers that he won’t report for training camp without a new contract, and that he’ll demand a trade. Gordon’s agent, Fletcher Smith, informed ESPN of the situation.

Looks like they better be offering something he wants and I'm betting he wants considerable more than 4 @ 32

• 1Like