2019 NFL Offseason: Chargers Started Early

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

• 10Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The point is, you could pick up Rosen for peanuts - he may or may not pan out, but Seattle hasn't done dick without an ELITE defense and you've now strapped yourself in with a good (not great) QB with the highest salary in the NFL. In my mind, you only ever CONSIDER doing that with somebody young and elite - Mahomes, Mayfield etc. Wilson and the Seachickens have doomed themselves to mediocrity until this laughable deal expires. Wilson won't care though, and his agent has to be laughing himself dickless. The idea that you "have to lock him down" is some of the most Stockholm Syndrome bullshit I think I've ever seen. Like a guy making $80k dating a supermodel, and SHE'S the one saying "man I better lock this down or this big swinging dick is going to get it elsewhere".

Insanity.

What? Those are guys on rookie contracts with only one year of actual play. You'd give those guys 35 mil/year contracts? Did you say the same thing about Cassel and Flynn?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
What? Those are guys on rookie contracts with only one year of actual play. You'd give those guys 35 mil/year contracts? Did you say the same thing about Cassel and Flynn?

While your point is valid and I agree with it, your examples are shit. Both Mahomes and Mayfield have accomplished more than Flynn ever did. Cassel was at least ok guiding a team that was 18-1 the year before to 11-5. Mahomes has obviously played in more playoff games than both QBs.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I know this is a speculative article but man it's crazy to think QB's will be seeing this type of money in 4 to 5 years. I really wonder if the new collective bargaining agreement we will see QB's limited to a % of the cap and stiffer penalties for players trying to opt out of a 5 year contract in the 3rd year wanting more money to one up each other.

Seven quarterbacks could sign high end deals between now and Mayfield's. In that event, at a $2.5 million increase per signing, Mayfield's deal would be $265 million over five years ($53 million annually on average). It is hard to envision any player getting that amount of money at this point but the same could have been said about the $35 million deals four years ago. The aforementioned Mayfield deal would carry roughly $185.5 million in guaranteed money as well.

The his annual salary would account for roughly 22.9 percent of Cleveland's salary cap in 2023.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Fucking lol, Uber is that you???

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
the issue is

the teams are PAYING the QB's that. One of the biggest issues with football in general is,,,physical sport and the player attitude is,,,today is the day i might get injured and not be able to play so i have to get the most money possible(reasonable attitude frankly) and then they get paid that by the teams, which other players go, hey my "stats" are as good as xxx, i should get that much too, then we have the QB which the entire offense runs through, and -except for a few exceptions(Brady) end up being the highest paid player on the team -usually by a large margin.

if the players-QB- took a step back and went, if i take slightly less money, the money spent on ME can go to getting a better offensive line or etc etc etc..making the TEAM better, thus we win, have a reasonable chance at a superbowl, bada bing bada boom. for all the hate the Patriots have, typically, they do not go for the top free agents and pay them, they go for the Good not great player, thus can save a bit of money, thus being able to spread said money out among the players as a whole instead, you get half of your allowable money being spent on ~10 people who are GOOD/Great, just not great.

now to check my numbers-all 2019 cap numbers according to spotrac:
patriots 10 players 6 defense 4 offense
seahawks 7 players 2 defense 5 offense
chiefs 10 players (mahommes rookie contract- he is 10th highest paid) 4 defense 6 offense
rams 8 players- (goff on rookie contract) he is 8th 4 offense 4 defense
steelers 9 players 4 defense 5 offense
Browns- 13 players 7 offense 6 defense- provided it all works out the Browns could be a contender for the next few years- or at least make the playoffs-barring injuries.

looks like my 5 out of 54 number is off by a few....looks like most of the well run teams have ~7-10 players @half the salary cap.

the one thing i noticed looking at the top 10 cap hits for the teams, the pats are one of the only teams that have more defensive people in the top 10 cap hits than the other teams..

Last edited:

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wilson provided immense value for the Seahawks on his rookie deal. They paid Matt Flynn 10 million to sit down Wilson's rookie year, they had to pay him.

He also won a Super Bowl, should have won 2.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
AFC North and NFC East rejoice. You all get 3 free wins by playing the AFC East this year. It's not the 5 free wins the Patriots get, but it's close.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Hey the Bengals are in the AFCN. I'd hit the brakes on the three free wins thing.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
only time will tell as to what actually happens for the other teams but i think the jets/bills/dolphins will be better this year than last in the afc east.

afc North, steelers -might not make the playoffs
ravens might not make playoffs
browns...i think-barring injuries- might make playoffs by winning the division... they finished 3 games out LAST year @7-8-1
bengals..probably not

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bengals will snag a top 5 draft pick next year.

Steelers and Tomlin will turn into the next Jeff Fisher going 8-8 for the next decade.

Ravens could win 4 games or they could win 12. Who fuckin knows.

On paper, the Browns should run away with the division, but 9 maybe 10 wins is probably what will play out.

Fadaar

That guy
Unless the Bucs somehow play like not-shit and make the playoffs I hope they tank bowl their way to Lawrence. That is if Winston doesn't somehow have a ridiculous year and the defense doesn't shit away the season, which is possible but unlikely.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
  • 1WTF

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Unless the Bucs somehow play like not-shit and make the playoffs I hope they tank bowl their way to Lawrence. That is if Winston doesn't somehow have a ridiculous year and the defense doesn't shit away the season, which is possible but unlikely.
The Bucs schedule looks pretty brutal nexy year. It's going to be a long road for them.

Chargers schedule doesn't look like a cakewalk either.

New neighbor moved in across the street, a decent dude with a family who is not a family of meth heads (yech, bad neighbors). I helped him move some trash out of the back yard the other day. He has his Browns flag flying off the front, the classic colors, the helmet, and the caption "It's ALWAYS Football Season."

Nice to have a neighbor with his priorities in order for a change.

(btw, my neighborhood is safe as milk, anyone who lives in a city area knows the brokeass stuff tends to drift through. No biggie.)

edit: it helps a city police lives about 4 houses down, and across the street two houses lives a police's sister hehe.

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
New neighbor moved in across the street, a decent dude with a family who is not a family of meth heads (yech, bad neighbors). I helped him move some trash out of the back yard the other day. He has his Browns flag flying off the front, the classic colors, the helmet, and the caption "It's ALWAYS Football Season."

Nice to have a neighbor with his priorities in order for a change.

(btw, my neighborhood is safe as milk, anyone who lives in a city area knows the brokeass stuff tends to drift through. No biggie.)

edit: it helps a city police lives about 4 houses down, and across the street two houses lives a police's sister hehe.

It’s always football season!!!!!

• 1Like