(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
wow this dude said he liked Avengers more than valhalla, thats nuts.

Saw this review and I'm worried, because his complaints about this game (and Odyssey) are the same exact issues I had with Odyssey. Namely the super-slow leveling (or rather, how long it takes to meet level requirements later) and the fact that it went on for so long. Neither game has any idea when to end. I think Odyssey went about 40 hours past its expiration date for me, but I still loved playing it and remember it fondly.

In any case, the way this guy echoes so many of my sentiments has me pretty worried that I won't like Valhalla. We'll see, it's arriving tomorrow. I just need to make some room on the PS5 for it since the PS5's hard drive is stupidly small and I already filled it by installing about half of the games I wanted to... c'est la vie, Resident Evils.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw this review and I'm worried, because his complaints about this game (and Odyssey) are the same exact issues I had with Odyssey. Namely the super-slow leveling (or rather, how long it takes to meet level requirements later) and the fact that it went on for so long. Neither game has any idea when to end. I think Odyssey went about 40 hours past its expiration date for me, but I still loved playing it and remember it fondly.

In any case, the way this guy echoes so many of my sentiments has me pretty worried that I won't like Valhalla. We'll see, it's arriving tomorrow. I just need to make some room on the PS5 for it since the PS5's hard drive is stupidly small and I already filled it by installing about half of the games I wanted to... c'est la vie, Resident Evils.
PS5 has what 825gb total but only like 600 something is usable right?

If you liked Odyssey I would imagine you will like this one. There are some differences which have been discussed in this thread but its solid for sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
From what I've been watching, it's a poor man's God of War mixed with an AC open-world more subdued than odyssey. It would have really benefitted from a more fantasy oriented design that embraced the mythology. The Grendel quest fo example is dumb. There not being so much endless gear loot is a definite improvement.

It's like they don't really know what they want these games to be, and are figuring it out as they go.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
From what I've been watching, it's a poor man's God of War mixed with an AC open-world more subdued than odyssey. It would have really benefitted from a more fantasy oriented design that embraced the mythology. The Grendel quest fo example is dumb. There not being so much endless gear loot is a definite improvement.

It's like they don't really know what they want these games to be, and are figuring it out as they go.
in general terms, yes, i think as a series it should lean into more mythology. that being said, God of War went so heavy into the mythology that i feel if they did that with valhalla it would feel like a rip off. this way, it still is occupying it's own space

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is there any reliable method to deal with heavy shield dudes that doesn't involve parrying them 3+ times for the stun-kill?

Curious what others find to be the best weapon setup too. I really like the spear but not being able to parry unless you have heavy dual wield is annoying, so I've stuck with dual 1H axes (the ones that give speed and attack on-hit) pretty much the whole time.

j00t

one of the abilities, i think it's called valkyrie's fall or something similar? you jump up and smash down on a target for pretty heavy damage, it also staggers them and can knock down weaker targets either outright killing them or setting them up for a stun kill. that works pretty well on those big kite shield guys.

i was using dual bearded axes for a long time. i tried switching it up here and there... bearded axe in main hand, and a dagger in the off hand has a nice dash in and out with the off hand attack, but it's a little too chaotic for me to get used to. i just switch to a greatsword (carolingian) in the main hand and a dane axe (bone-biter)in the offhand with great dual wield and so far i like it. light, light, heavy does a nice combo that ends with some pretty hefty damage. also the offhand attack turns you into a tried and true whirlwind barbarian with a pretty wide reach

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
AC games have always been great experiences for me. Its about the setting. people get pumped about where they will be able to explore and experience the atmosphere.

If they delved deeper into that, not mythology, would make these games better IMO. Take the time to create more interesting faction dynamics with the local populace. Have events that have an impact on the world you are exploring, (kind of like GTA 4 where you either help the drug dealer guy, or the dude in jail, and depending on who you back you received different perks which was fucking awesome) and have those decisions and faction dynamic ultimately dictate what kind of experience you will have, depending on what allies you have chosen, and what causes you have fought for. It sounds like common sense, but it really is hard for modern day devs to come up with awesome video game ideas/mechanics.

Side quests should be a thing of the past, they should have simply different events that you can participate in to increase or decrease your faction, or influence a world event by assassinating a major figure etc. Next gen also needs next gen gameplay IMO.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I have a # of gripes with this game, but to call Avengers comparable (better?!) is complete fucking nonsense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
37EA28A5-AD57-46CE-837A-CB8E58525FD1.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I like how they did it with Osyssey and I like how they are going this route as well. Mythology in Greece was hilarious. We all know a cyclopes was a dude who got his eye shot out who was above 6'0" because in greece most everyone was flipping 5'6". Giant Cyclops was born. Same for all the other stories and such. So I loved how they went into that in some quests too - but then expect the DLC to delve deeper into the actual mythology. Same thing here. While we see references to Viking Mythology, I like how they just stick to what Vikings were. Raiders with tight knit clans. I would expect the DLC to dive deeper into the thor/odin stuff and touch on it from time to time in the game as needed (And as they are doing) in what we have now in the base.

Overall, the PS5 experience is fucking mind blowing. 4k60 is something to behold on an OLED with HDR. And the fluidity of movement is so fucking sweet and input lag is none.

Believe it or not since I beat Odyssey and all its DLC I actually do not even mind the throw backs to Layla in the real world (At least from what I have seen so far which was the one time when I moved from Norway to England)

• 1Like

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
This is one of the jankiest games I've played in a long time. I use that word particularly because its not like the game is broken or busted, but there is just so much glitchy junk going on.

• Sure, the game looks great while standing still but nearly every cinematic moment is ruined by clipping and other nonsense (hands not holding items, items disappearing, things popping in randomly, voiceover not synced).
  • I haven't seen facial animations this bad since Andromeda. Weird, goofy eye focus, spastic head movement, texture pop-in, etc.
  • The animations overall are terrible, weirdly accelerating between feeling too slow and too fast. Getting jammed under items is common.
  • The combat is floaty as fuck, sliding all over the place, with seemingly random hits coming out of nowhere and distance being almost impossible to gauge, teleports to target common, etc.
  • Some of the graphics are lol bad. The first time I saw a whale leap out of the ocean and float in the sky before disappearing back beneath the waves I laughed my ass off. Didn't they already solve for this in Black Flag?
  • Environmental glitches - clouds becoming totally black at times, water moving above hard surfaces, smoke turning blue, etc.
I could go on and on. I doubt any of this is platform-performance related since I've been playing on both One X and Series X and the issues happened for both. Its weird to see all this janky junk coming from Genshin Impact where all of the animations, climbing, combat, cinematics, etc. are really well done (and "free" in a sense).

Of course it is still worth playing. Vikings are fucking cool and I look forward to slaughtering more English. But, godamn, what a janky piece of shit game this is.

j00t

This is one of the jankiest games I've played in a long time. I use that word particularly because its not like the game is broken or busted, but there is just so much glitchy junk going on.

• Sure, the game looks great while standing still but nearly every cinematic moment is ruined by clipping and other nonsense (hands not holding items, items disappearing, things popping in randomly, voiceover not synced).
  • I haven't seen facial animations this bad since Andromeda. Weird, goofy eye focus, spastic head movement, texture pop-in, etc.
  • The animations overall are terrible, weirdly accelerating between feeling too slow and too fast. Getting jammed under items is common.
  • The combat is floaty as fuck, sliding all over the place, with seemingly random hits coming out of nowhere and distance being almost impossible to gauge, teleports to target common, etc.
  • Some of the graphics are lol bad. The first time I saw a whale leap out of the ocean and float in the sky before disappearing back beneath the waves I laughed my ass off. Didn't they already solve for this in Black Flag?
  • Environmental glitches - clouds becoming totally black at times, water moving above hard surfaces, smoke turning blue, etc.
I could go on and on. I doubt any of this is platform-performance related since I've been playing on both One X and Series X and the issues happened for both. Its weird to see all this janky junk coming from Genshin Impact where all of the animations, climbing, combat, cinematics, etc. are really well done (and "free" in a sense).

Of course it is still worth playing. Vikings are fucking cool and I look forward to slaughtering more English. But, godamn, what a janky piece of shit game this is.
for what it's worth, the only one of those issues i've had is that once or twice someone was holding an axe impossibly. one person was sharpening an axe that was floating about an inch our of her hand, and the other, dag was holding two axes in the same hand.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Had a hilarious bug where i went to assassinate a dude over looking a large drop off.
Apparently i needed up pushing him off but was still able to drive the blade into him while i was still 40ft above.

Game is very fun and very pretty.

Dizzam

Blackwing Lair Raider
Believe it or not since I beat Odyssey and all its DLC I actually do not even mind the throw backs to Layla in the real world (At least from what I have seen so far which was the one time when I moved from Norway to England)
I never actually beat Odyssey, but I think I was close. No DLC either.

Do I need to understand what happened in Odyssey to understand the real world stuff in Valhalla? I’ve only come out of the animus once, but I didn’t understand any of their references to something crazy she did or something.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So setup my PS5 and downloaded this for it, and was able to continue my game where I left off on the PS4.

Game looks pretty nice on PS5, the load times are amazing compared to the pro.

Well off to play some more. I have to go to England. Can’t really fully understand explore Norway some area are off limits for now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users