(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
after you get to england and, what i assume is find your settlement to start... my game just... stops doing anything. you go through a cutscene where you meet a stableman and a merchant and invite them to join your settlement, the cutscene ends and me, dag and sigurd are just standing there in a football huddle and all i can do is move the camera around and put my hood on and off. no one moves other than their generic idle animations. it's sort of infuriating.

i've reloaded the game like 3 times, started from a different save point... almost wondering if i should just restart my whole game... i'm not super far in and i didn't really explore norway... bleh

if anyone is having this issue, change your world settings to ultra, even just for that conversation. i mentioned it earlier in the thread but this DID work for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just left Norway at about 12 hours of gameplay. England looks badass; really excited to get in and play more this weekend.

j00t

Just left Norway at about 12 hours of gameplay. England looks badass; really excited to get in and play more this weekend.
yeah, first time around i got through norway in just a handful of hours. i restarted because of a bug and ended up spending close to 12 hours in norway collecting all the stuff i could. there's still stuff in norway that the animus wouldn't let me get to, so that's a lot of stuff

Dizzam

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’ve been in England for about two hours, and I’m just realizing that I never use my abilities. I just use normal attacks and bow and arrow. None of the abilities I have so far seem useful or necessary.

j00t

the axe throw ability actually feels pretty useful. first off it hits multiple targets so it's good in a crowd, and secondly the final attack is useful even against single targets because it's got a hefty stun attached to it. the legendary elk in norway has a habit of charging you, but the axe throw will interrupt the charge.

i have a couple other abilities but i've only used them once, so in that regard i agree

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
how does this game co pare to Odyssey?

worse? better?

j00t

i think the combat in odyssey is a little tighter and a bit more dynamic, but otherwise it's basically the same game just as a viking

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Anyone else want to play this but refusing until they beat AC:Odyssey?

I kind of was. I've been plugging away at it for like two years now, but it's just too much. I beat the main game and made it into the first DLC a decent bit, but still so much to go. I couldn't wait to dive into this one since I love the setting.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’m about 8 hours in, still in Norway with still a lot to explore.

I‘m not advancing very fast in the main quests because there’s so many glowy thingy everywhere on the map and I just have to check all of them, I can’t help myself.

I miss the Leap of Faith, but google it and it seems you learn it in England so that’s not a huge deal knowing it‘s still in the game.

I agree with others about the combat, I only have 2 abilities so far but rarely use them. I still enjoy the combat but again have to agree it felt better in Odyssey.

The game looks awesome on PS4 Pro, so can’t wait to get my PS5 to see what it looks like.

All in all, I feel I’m going to be spending to be spending a lot of time in the game, Odyssey base game took me 140+ hours and I expect to easily get 100+ in this.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I will echo the sentiments about combat, the main issue for me being the lack of parrying, or lack of it being as simple. I'm playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty (along with Pathfinder for exploration, as well as no auto-lock for the bow), and the viking challenge guy in the cave was a pain in the ass. Elk was fairly easy. Hoping the added abilities will really help like it did in Odyssey.

I expect the game to "take off" now that I'm out of Norway.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Definitely some things here that don't feel great - In general, combat feels like a huge step back. Just feels janky, and not nearly as smooth as Odyssey (a game I liked pretty well but didn't love). Also, just the general movement here (climbing, "hurdling" walls etc) feels terrible. Like you're constantly trying to balance yourself or something and it's not as responsive as previous games.

The general moment to moment gameplay in this doesn't feel great to me - like Ubisoft hired out a ton of the core game to a 3rd party Chinese studio - everything in the moment to moment actual game feels like a huge step back to me. Don't even get me started on the dogshit compressed audio, which is the worst audio I think I've ever heard from a AAA game. The mix is terrible and it's so muffled I'd almost rather not even have any sound.

The good - the story seems pretty good so far. In fact, that's the only reason I'm pressing on with the game. I enjoy the world, I love the themes here and the setting is great. The MC is a step back, but feel like he has some room for growth and I'm interested in seeing where the game goes.

I just wish it was more "fun" to fight, climb, kill etc - you know, the stuff that makes AC games AC games. Not sure why Ubisoft didn't just use the exact same template from Odyssey, but they are fucking woke retards now so I suspect the combat and traversal was done by a team of dickless trannies.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Got to England, went exploring and got curb stomped by a crusader. Pretty sure he threw a holy hand grenade at me as I exploded and went flying.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got to England, went exploring and got curb stomped by a crusader. Pretty sure he threw a holy hand grenade at me as I exploded and went flying.
Yeah, that first zealot is brutal. It's a mine, actually... I got blown up by it a couple minutes after he tossed it.

I'm still way too low level, but I need to go back and see if those dudes can be cheesed with sleep arrows.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that first zealot is brutal. It's a mine, actually... I got blown up by it a couple minutes after he tossed it.

I'm still way too low level, but I need to go back and see if those dudes can be cheesed with sleep arrows.

I tried to cheese him by harpooning him into a lake thinking he would die like npcs in previous games. Unfortunately they know how to swim now.

Vorph

I tried to cheese him by harpooning him into a lake thinking he would die like npcs in previous games. Unfortunately they know how to swim now.
Sleep works, but they're immune to assassination so it doesn't do any good. Why even call the game Assassin's Creed anymore?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Sleep works, but they're immune to assassination so it doesn't do any good. Why even call the game Assassin's Creed anymore?

I had the same thought about 2-3 hours in. Granted I am still playing it as nothing but a big Collect-O-Rama like every other AC game. But it just doesn’t feel AC creed to me. It is like AC adjacent. Can’t quite nail it down. Never played Origin or Odyssey so maybe that is why the difference seems so jarring.

Vorph

Yeah, it's been all downhill (as far as living up to the name of the series) since they decided assassinations weren't necessary one-shots. The combat is pretty similar to Origins and Odyssey, but assassination was still extremely powerful there and with a proper build you could still do one-shots against everything but the mythical creatures.

I think my biggest complaints about the combat are that there doesn't seem to be anyway to increase stamina and you run out insanely fast when you're dodging or using R2 / Hold-L1 attacks and bosses remind me of the damage sponges of Division 2. I was annoyed about always feeling like I was out of hp and rations, but getting Grit and a couple more ration slots more or less solved that.

Speaking of skills like Grit that are buried in the furthest parts of the skill tree, wtf is the point of having fog-of-war on skills? You can just repeatedly spend and reset to uncover it all, but then when you quit and game and come back later it's all fogged again. Just makes it irritating to remember where skills like Grit and Heavy Dual Wield are.