(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think my problem is I want an open world/fully 3D Diablo, or a single player/limited co-op WoW that lasts a long time through updates/DLC. Odyssey showed they had the potential, but they kind of stepped that back. So I'm kind of bummed. In today's world everything is about the cinematic side of things, but hopefully one day a company makes this game. Hopefully.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I am the RPG player the core fanbase hates but the game lets you play however you want, to be honest I sneak when I want to and charge in when I want to.... if you want to be angry that it doesn't force you into certain playstyle, that's on you.
Uh, people are 'angry' because It does force you into a certain playstyle if you care at all about your time. You can do a raid in minute or so if you just charge in full Viking-style, or you can waste 10-15 minutes slowly sneaking around meticulously killing one guard at a time to ensure you aren't spotted (possibly even reloading a save if you're really anal about it). In the end there's not even any benefit to doing it the slow and tedious way. Not to mention how silly and immersion-breaking it is that all the civilians are panicking while you 'sneak' about but the guards remain completely unaware.

The game is the least ASSASSIN that any AC game has ever been, and that's saying something when the game is a direct follow-up to Odyssey.

I dont get why you guys just dont do the ubisoft thing for 15 bucks. Am I missing something?
Being unable to play it on a PC is the only reason I can think of.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Uh, people are 'angry' because It does force you into a certain playstyle if you care at all about your time. You can do a raid in minute or so if you just charge in full Viking-style, or you can waste 10-15 minutes slowly sneaking around meticulously killing one guard at a time to ensure you aren't spotted (possibly even reloading a save if you're really anal about it). In the end there's not even any benefit to doing it the slow and tedious way. Not to mention how silly and immersion-breaking it is that all the civilians are panicking while you 'sneak' about but the guards remain completely unaware.

The game is the least ASSASSIN that any AC game has ever been, and that's saying something when the game is a direct follow-up to Odyssey.

I think you may have hit the nail on why I still enjoy the game very much. I don’t care about my time, so I am playing it the way that is the most fun to me regardless of its efficiency. I’m in total stealth and assassination mode, now I’m not going so far as to reload if I’m spotted, if that happens I just kill enough until I can back to hiding if I can. It’s part of why it’s taking me so long, but this is how I like the AC games.

That said, someone suggested cracking the combat difficulty to the max, and lowering the stealth difficulty that way it feels more like an AC games since combat is way harder, and stealth is easier, I haven’t tried that I’m on the default for both.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

This is the most convoluted definition of "force" outside of PC 1984 speak possible. What you are trying to torture the language into saying is the game *permits* and even *rewards* you (in time) for charging in, rather than penalizing you, ( as you would have, as or "some would have" forcing a reload if you are even seen). But in particular these are not a stealth mission: ITS A VIKING RAID. There are plenty of missions where you can go ahead of whatever you are supposed to do, sneaky kill everyone, and then if needed sound the horn. I soloed my way through plenty of forts in AC: Odyssey, both sneakily and brazenly depending upon my mood (and as you mentioned, the time I was willing to spend).

But again, the game lets you choose how you want want to play. Do you want to play as: A) Foam-Flecked Dane, Warhammer/Dane Axe in hand; B) Stealthy Hidden One, wrist-blade and bow? C) Mix of the two? D) Petulant power gamer, angry his way isn't the most efficient or 'preferred' way?

Vorph

Ok, rather than try to explain it, I'll just put it bluntly: I don't want to spend 100+ hours on a game that overstayed its welcome at about the 25-30 hour mark.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

That's a really bizarre complaint. Why would someone expect sneaking and slowly picking people off 1 by 1 to be as fast as just charging in and slaughtering everyone?

• 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

That's a really bizarre complaint. Why would someone expect sneaking and slowly picking people off 1 by 1 to be as fast as just charging in and slaughtering everyone?
Did you not play Odyssey? Assassin style was way faster at clearing than warrior even late in the game when you could literally one-shot everything.

I guess my main complaint is the way they gimped double assassinate in Valhalla. That alone is why it takes so damn long to stealth clear a camp. Not only is it flat out impossible to assassinate two guards standing right next to each other like in previous games, they also made it so that the awareness fills while you're executing the slow ass animation for the first kill, which most of the time results in even medium+ range axe throws failing as you've been spotted. The only time it's at all reliable is when the second enemy is the type that stares in one direction and never moves.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
In past games you would get swarmed if you charges in without a strategy. In this game I duel wield 2 hand swords and just face roll everything. Sure it’s my choice but I am not taking the long way for no reason.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Took me almost an hour to realize the game was done, no credits and no "The End".

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I just found a letter from Lord Wigmund implying pederasty in the church. I don't normally pay attention to lore in games. Do the Muslims in the game have similar little Easter eggs?

Screenshot_20201202-222348_Gallery.jpg

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just found a letter from Lord Wigmund implying pederasty in the church. I don't normally pay attention to lore in games. Do the Muslims in the game have similar little Easter eggs?

View attachment 321100
Sounds about right. Ok to pick on anything affiliated with White people. God forbid anyone say anything about any American minorities religion, though.

I didnt read through all the little notes in this game, or books. Just way too many in a game thats already wayyy too long.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finally "finished" this (ended up mainlining story after a certain point)... Too drained from playing this to give a detailed review, but my one word review is basically "slog". Everything just drags after a point, too many collectibles, too many side errands, too much bullshit. Also, the end of the game is absolutely fucking dumb. It makes sense, but is still pretty dumb. I've played two Ubisoft games in a row and left both feeling a big fat meh. Thank god for their $15 game pass deal, was well worth the $15, but good/great games wouldn't describe either Watch Dogs or Valhalla. I liked Valhalla quite a bit more though, Watch Dogs was like a game made by a computer and not people.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Finally "finished" this (ended up mainlining story after a certain point)... Too drained from playing this to give a detailed review, but my one word review is basically "slog". Everything just drags after a point, too many collectibles, too many side errands, too much bullshit. Also, the end of the game is absolutely fucking dumb. It makes sense, but is still pretty dumb. I've played two Ubisoft games in a row and left both feeling a big fat meh. Thank god for their $15 game pass deal, was well worth the $15, but good/great games wouldn't describe either Watch Dogs or Valhalla. I liked Valhalla quite a bit more though, Watch Dogs was like a game made by a computer and not people.
Flying through Odyssey now myself before Valhalla. For $15 it does seem right. Not sure many games are worth over that at this point. Also glad to see all the DLC gets included for Ubi+. Hilarious to see you can pay to win with basically everything

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I’m now at 106 hours in, 343 power and at least 5 regions left to do, so I guess another 30+ hours or so depending on the size of the remaining regions. Definitely not going to finish in time for cyberpunk.

I’m enjoying the story still, and still have fun completing all the regions. Combat is pretty trivial at this point, I have most of the skills. I must say catching arrows and shooting them back at the ennemies is lots of fun as is picking up their weapon and throwing it at another enemy. I still mostly sneak around and assassinate people though.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Well i got Excalibur and maxed it out.

Seems fucking wrong for a Viking game, but oh well

• 1Worf

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished it,

Enjoyed the ending quest. Got the god weapons, those are fun but did not want to grind mats to max them out. TOO many chest and collectables.
They should have cut a bunch of mean nothing zones out.