(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So now we need AC:Rome and AC:Japan. Because that’s what people actually want, look for 2-3 more settings nobody wants before they finally listen. Next entry is likely AC:goatfucker
AC: Japan is ghost of tsushima. except it's actually a great game. it's basically everything that valhalla isn't.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I agree that Valhalla is mostly inferior to Odyssey, that said I am still having a blast playing it.

For me the biggest issue is the Raven being useless, tagging NPC in a camp was an extremely useful feature.

While the loot system is inferior to Odyssey, it is not something that bothers me much because early on in Odyssey I got the poison set, and weapons and upgraded them all the way through to the end. So it's not like I got much use for items from that point forward other than breaking them down for mats.

As for being an assassin being inferior to just running into camp killing everything I totally agree with that statement...but I just do the stealth and assassinate everyone anyways because it's how i enjoy playing the assassin's creed games. It's probably why I'm at 65 hours mark and about 30-40% done max. :)

It's sad though that they took a step back, I thought they were going in a great direction with Origins -> Odyssey. The setting and story is solid so far but it could have been so much better. This is what happens when you have so many studios working on the same franchise.

Makes me wonder if Immortals: Fenyx Rising will be better since it's from the team that made Odyssey.

j00t

See, getting a set in early Odyssey and just upgrading it till the end of the game seems a fault in the loot system. I mean I'm not saying you should be forced into upgrades you dont want, but the gear that drops should entice to into changing what you're using.

That's something I was hoping they would continue to iterate on instead of dropping it alltogether

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, I did probably 70-80% of the game in the beginning Berzerker set before I did the Thor armor quests/puzzles. The only reason I did the Thor set is simply because I was tired of the God Awful look of the shoulders on that set.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
See, getting a set in early Odyssey and just upgrading it till the end of the game seems a fault in the loot system. I mean I'm not saying you should be forced into upgrades you dont want, but the gear that drops should entice to into changing what you're using.

That's something I was hoping they would continue to iterate on instead of dropping it alltogether
I doubt the vast majority of people that played odyssey did that, and I doubt that is the optimal path.

j00t

I doubt the vast majority of people that played odyssey did that, and I doubt that is the optimal path.
in certain cases, i'm sure that's what plenty of people did. i wasn't quite THAT extreme, but i found myself returning to the same gear and just upgrading that, despite trying out new drops here and there.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Duel Wielding 2 handers is insanely OP. - It breaks the melee game. I don't even have them updated.
the only ability I use is flight of the Valkyrie. Jump smash swing auto loot. on to the next

The Game needs more assassin skills.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The thing is the sets are not about power upgrade but play style. Once you have something that you like, you can ignore the rest of you want. I mean I would not personally like to have to switch sets every few levels if that requires changing the way I play or specced my character.

To be honest as much as I like the loot grind in Diablo, Division etc. I don’t play AC games for the loot.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As far as optimal path in Odyssey goes, Pirate Set was the best if you didn't want to farm epics or buy Helix (for the Lion set) so a case could definitely be made for upgrading it exclusively from the moment you got the full set, and I think a lot of people probably did just that. Combination of early access to the set, guides all over the interwebs telling them to use it, and even if you didn't look at guides it was obviously stronger than anything else. It didn't even come close to what you could do with a perfect set of epics though (Lion set was much closer). The shitty part was that "farming" epics in Odyssey really meant save-scumming at a spot with two vendors until you got the exact rolls you need.

My problem with loot in Valhalla is that all the bonuses are like shitty ones from Odyssey nobody would ever use. Odyssey was all about bonuses gained at full health and maxing out crit/crit dmg, and there's only a tiny handful of that sort of thing in Valhalla. Even then the crit-trigger ones are kind of meh because your crit chance can't be raised high enough to make them reliable. You might as well just use whatever armor you like the look of, and it's far better to pick weapons for how they behave in dual wield than it is to worry about what the perks are. It never feels like you're making a build like in Odyssey; you're just slapping a bunch of shit together and calling it good enough.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Daidraco

Not only were the bonuses not that powerful, but there just wasnt a need to go out of your way outside of the cosmetic look. I think it all just falls on the fact that combat in the game is just so.. uncompelling? That there isnt really a need to seek out this set or that set. In older AC's, you actually felt the impact of guards in the city and if you started killing them... it would be like an endless stream. Like.. ffs, let me just run away. Where as this time, I could clear out an entire town and everyone was fine with it. Was just.. weird? Just feels like they spent very little time on combat in this game and it shows greatly.

j00t

my head canon for that is that all the english peasants just accept being raided by vikings as a way of life. don't fight back, just sit there politely while you lose your days work.

Daidraco

my head canon for that is that all the english peasants just accept being raided by vikings as a way of life. don't fight back, just sit there politely while you lose your days work.
Yea. Someone linked some article pointing that out. Its comparable to "White Washing" Vikings or something. I honestly just think it was just a lack of development time.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Just hit the 80 hours mark, and just completed my 7th region so a little under 50%. I’m definitely not going to be done in time for Cyberpunk.

Guess they’ll have more time to fix bugs by the time I get to it. :)

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah this one is just not doing it for me... at all.

I loved Odyssey's skills way better. The ones in this one are just so nothing it's like why did you even waist the time designing all of this. Yay so I can do a little damage when I parry. Or have an extra hit in with each swing. That's a far cry from bashing people and sending them flying, or spinning in a ring of flame, or slamming the ground and causing everyone to explode. Or sniping people through walls. Which is sad because I think the sphere grid system is the best system for advancement, but shit has to be worth getting.

Odyssey's itemization was not great at all, and definitely needed some work. But this? This was not the answer.

Same thing with healing. I thought it was lame that you just needed to get far enough away to disengage and boom, instant full health, yes. However, trying to find certain plants that look like all the other plants to build up a healing potion is not the answer either.

And I'm not spending 60 bucks on just a story, especially a not greatly written story at that. Not a fan of dialogue trees, especially when in the end you end up at the same place anyway, and this is full of that, so yeah. Luckily I bought this on a sale, so I wasn't out TOO much.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I haven't played in over a week logged in to try to make some more progress and just lost any desire for it. I'm 60-80hrs probably a little past half. (at Lunden + I completed Valhalla ark power mid 200s). I'm not disappointed from the perspective of spending $15 on it for time I got out of it, but not happy with it overall. I thought I would like the base building mechanic, but I found myself not giving two shits about the village. I don't care about the story at all. I liked the Valhalla fantasy setting more than the main game. Have 7-8 days left on my monthly sub but I went ahead and just uninstalled.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jozu

Damn. I was looking forward to this, but its sounding like it was a flop. Assassins Creed has been one of the best game franchises over the last decade. AC1 was an amazing game. The freedom of being able to climb on all of the world structures was unbelievable, the lethality of the encounters, I loved how you could quickly dispatch opponents but also felt dangerous due to the escape mechanic. AC2 was even better, having improved the game in every way. Some of the deepest lore content, incredible world building and attention to detail, was truly a AAA title.

Then they fucked up with AC3. Black Flag was refreshing, and then there was a torrent of different offerings across all kinds of different time periods and settings. The France one was OK, but overall the fanbase got bored until origins. odyssey was maybe the best AC since 2, but now this. Where do they go from here?

Aazrael

I think the game is fine but its more of a viking simulator than Assassin's creed. But I feel the last 3 games haven't been much Assassin's Creed anyway.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn. I was looking forward to this, but its sounding like it was a flop. Assassins Creed has been one of the best game franchises over the last decade. AC1 was an amazing game. The freedom of being able to climb on all of the world structures was unbelievable, the lethality of the encounters, I loved how you could quickly dispatch opponents but also felt dangerous due to the escape mechanic. AC2 was even better, having improved the game in every way. Some of the deepest lore content, incredible world building and attention to detail, was truly a AAA title.

Then they fucked up with AC3. Black Flag was refreshing, and then there was a torrent of different offerings across all kinds of different time periods and settings. The France one was OK, but overall the fanbase got bored until origins. odyssey was maybe the best AC since 2, but now this. Where do they go from here?

That's kind of the thing... Back in 2017 they released Origins which was a complete departure from their original design. A year later, they have Odyssey which improved on almost all the RPG mechanics and I loved it. However, judging by many posts out in Reddit, etc, the original series fans really hated the move. So, I got it, and left well enough alone, because I do not like stealth action games which AC mostly was, but for a series to basically genre hop like AC did, I can totally understand original fans not being warm to the idea. This one feels like they tried to catch the "best" of both designs and frankly I feel like they ended up with the worst instead. I don't know, I have to have some kind of character progression/building in any game I play and it's just way too watered down in this for me to continue on.