(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I deleted this and wanted to wait until they patched it 102 times - probably time to restart in fresh.

The game still has a ton of bugs. There's one quest where a druid does a weird voodoo ritual, and there are like 3 or 4 different ways the ritual can go sideways and get stuck there. I had to reload and do it over again twice myself.

IMO the game gets a lot better later on once it gets into the frigid north lands. That said, I can't wait to be done with it and uninstall it. Tons of memory being used by this interminable game. 50 hours in now and it just will. not. end.

I'm still having no problem with 280 difficulty areas with a level 170 or so character...they really wanted the player to be OP I guess. Though again, at least the recommended level isn't required.

EDIT: I beat the game. At least, I think I did. The ending is so drawn-out, there's no concrete final boss, and afterwards it sends you back to conquer another story area then turns you loose again. It feels like the game is "ongoing" and that I didn't beat it. Though credits rolled somewhere between the second-to-last area I conquered and the last area I conquered, IIRC, so I guess it's over. I'm glad to sell it, and more glad to have all that PS5 HD space back.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
bought the game digitally nearly 2 months ago when it was on sale and finally platinum'd it today, a bit under 150 hours for the full plat. I got dual plats on the PS4 and PS5 version which added probably 4-5 hours, for every trophy you have to basically reload the latest autosave and replay 3-5 mins of game but it was kinda fun to do that, only game I've "double platd" on PS5 but I doubt i'd do it again. It is neat how Ubisoft games have cloud saves in their own cloud now, I could load the save on PC, stadia, xbox, whatever and keep going. I hope more and more games do this sort of cross-play backend magic in the future.

Game is a solid 6/10, its one of the weakest story games in assassins creed but I was jonesing for an MMO style "clear all the markers on your map" daily grind, and this game delivered that in spades. I watched the TV show Vikings - 6 seasons!! - at the same time to double immerse myself, and that was more enjoyable than the game but they definitely were great together. Last Kingdom is next.

In game characters were great, map was great, roaming England and Norway was great, story was shit, the design-by-committee feel was dog shit. Oh well, if Ubisoft wants to spend $300m once a year to deliver me a $35 game that gives me 200 hours (i'll eventually do the two DLCs too) that works for me. I'll only play one a year.

I enjoyed Odyssey far, far more but its been like 11 months since I finished that.

I've heard there is no Assassins Creed this year, instead they are working on Assassins Creed Infinite which is gonna be more like Destiny or Division, incorporating an assassins creed world in a social GAAS type setup with yearly expansions. I can't wait to see what a trainwreck that will be.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I wasn't aware of the Infinite product. I know it's not going to be done right, but I can't help but be excited because it could be great in theory.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, really interested in the "Infinite" idea, assuming it's closer to Odyssey than Valhalla. Even if there is a really good chance they mess it up.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Assassin's creed infinity sounds interesting if they're going the division route. I love division, but feel like Massive really fucked it up and it could have been much better if they had bothered to learn from their mistakes, and didn't need to revamp gear every 3-6 months, and some of the content was terrible, like kenly college. Hope they stick to more of the odyssey design for it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Shadow of War online or nuffin'

Games like Valhalla shouldn't even be in production anymore without something like SOW's nemesis system. I really don't get why that didn't raise the bar for random named npcs industry-wide in games like this.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Games like Valhalla shouldn't even be in production anymore without something like SOW's nemesis system. I really don't get why that didn't raise the bar for random named npcs industry-wide in games like this.

They patented the nemesis system, which tends to scare devs away from doing something similar.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Anyone who thinks Ubi is capable of delivering a successful live service, especially this game, is fucking nuts.

That is all.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone who thinks Ubi is capable of delivering a successful live service, especially this game, is fucking nuts.

That is all.
They all pretty much said it wasnt going to be successful, ie. Shitshow, Ut. lol Just going to be fun to dick around in for a while kind of thing. Im just curious about the setting. Are they going to have some kind of "current day" hub, where you get into the machine and go to different time lines under new settings? Or just a completely fleshed out art kit for one theme.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok yeah if they did it that way where you could go to multiple worlds across timelines and such to satisfy a campaign that could be cool - but that would require effort so I think what you will see is one world and one theme and over the course of live seasons additions to little patches here and there with nothing the size and scope of an actual game we are used to with AC.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well... their model of releasing a new time frame every year or two is basically the same as an mmo expansion model. if i was in charge of the project, that's exactly how i'd do it. animus hub, throw in some social cosmetics to satisfy the whales and the barbie dress up players, and use the social hub to organize some group content or whatever... then have the meat of the game be different time frames. maybe you don't need to flesh out an entire time frame, but have a "dungeon" be in the holy land doing some altair adjacent activities... another be in italy, another in the high seas... places that we've already seen, but could be fun to revisit. then also create some new sandbox maps that we've never been to.

but you know. i'm not in charge so maybe i should shut the fuck up

edit: speaking of altair... remember when assassin's creed was in development and everyone was jerking off to jade raymond? and then basically never heard from her again? man... good times
6003f0c81f-scandals_JadeGate.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
jade worked on a cancelled star wars game for a long time, then joined stadia as their VP of studios, and left this year to form a new studio that will develop Playstation 5 exclusive games

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I mean I can read her wiki too. I wasn't saying she stopped working, just that everyone was talking about her nonstop and then they just stopped, like overnight. Like there was weird comics about her all over the place

• 1Worf

joz123

Potato del Grande
I see this shit being f2p with a million micro transactions. Could be fun if it lets you pick either templar or assassin to play as. Rogue was my favorite AC game even though it was short.

• 1Like

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
The limited info that's available on this says there will be multiple timelines available and that new expansions will bring in new timelines. I'm intrigued and, against my better judgement, excited. However, I fully expect to be disappointed. It looks like its 2 or 3 years out though, so we have a quite a while to wait before concrete information becomes available. I will say that I have enjoyed the last 3 AC releases. They're not fantastic or visionary, but they are fun.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
2 or 3 years out? They'll definitely bring us something from their B-Teams in the meantime. I'm still hoping for a an Assassin's Creed Japan. Ghost of Tsushima kinda ate their lunch already, so they'll need to do something different from that. If GoT is all about samurai, then naturally ACJ should focus entirely on ninjas.

spronk

FPS noob

apparently the next AC game will be released later this year or next year and focused on Basim in possibly somewhere the middle east, then the game after that will be Assassins Creed Infinite, full of NFTs and GAAS shit

• 1Like