(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i haven't read the book, so i don't know what arguments the author makes, but logistically speaking, it makes sense. it wasn't so much about the "effective" range. an mg-42 CAN kill at 2000m in the right circumstances, but normandy wasn't exactly ideal. first off, shooting a machine gun at a transport is a phenomenal waste ammunition. yes it CAN cause some serious damage to the transports but at what cost? movies and video games have taught us that soldiers carry around 2000lbs of ammunition at all times but that just didn't happen. ammo was a limited resource and the last thing an mg-42 emplacement wanted to do was run out of ammo. and remember the goal of a battle ISN'T to kill everyone. it's just to stop the other side.

also speaking about waiting until they allies were mostly out of the water... basically the same idea. a human who is half submerged in water is a significantly smaller target. a bullet fired into the water becomes close to worthless even fired at point blank range, much less at 200 meters out. again, it becomes a complete waste of a limited resource.

an mg-42 as a fire rate of about 1200 rounds per minute. the normandy operation lasted almost a month and a half. obviously that included way more than just the beach, and obviously they weren't firing 100% of the time. but if we look at how movies portray d-day. just a single german soldier would have fired off at least 30,000 rounds.

that absolutely does not add up.

edit: i've watched a few videos from shadiversity before. he's got some pretty good historical knowledge and he's entertaining enough if you enjoy the subject matter...
that being said there's a few people like him who've made videos about historical vikings in response to valhalla and i just... cannot be bothered to watch them because i know they'll suck all the fun out of it. the whole d-day experience from movies like saving private ryan may be historically inaccurate but they make the point plenty well that the whole experience sucked. it's real easy to be all "well, ackchyually..." but at the end of the day, this is entertainment, not history 101.

edit 2: i was just trying to figure out how much ammo was even used in normandy and no one really knows. i saw a post trying to calculate it based on how many people were killed by small arms fire (most of the deaths in ww2 were due to artillary fire, and an alarmingly large percentage of human deaths were due to starvation of pow's) and i came across this quote "Killing a man on the field of battle requires firing a mass of lead almost equal to his weight. Wounding him requires somewhat less." -Unknown

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The book was from actual interviews from those Germans defending the Atlantic wall. It is really really good.

They were completely shocked by seeing amphibious tanks, phosphorus explosions, etc. Most of all they knew when they would be in trouble when equipment was just left around that could have been repaired like they would have done, but new equipment would just show up and allies would leave the repairable equipment and move on. They were completely in awe of the amount of supplies the allies had landing. And fuel stores, etc. As around this time they were using horses and trying to conserve everything they could. Pretty eye opening stuff.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
30 minutes of gameplay.

Edit: taken down, see mirrors in the post(s) below.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just watched The Last Kingdom, paired with how much I enjoyed Odyssey... This is going to be a full on boner inducing release. Really, really ready for this.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got a code for this for buying a 3700x. I have only played half or so of the first one. Are these all interconnected and I’ll be lost in the story or are they separate games?

I remember you were in some VR training program or something in the first one so I assume that’s how they keep these going into different timelines but like I said I don’t really know.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I got a code for this for buying a 3700x. I have only played half or so of the first one. Are these all interconnected and I’ll be lost in the story or are they separate games?

I remember you were in some VR training program or something in the first one so I assume that’s how they keep these going into different timelines but like I said I don’t really know.

That's basically all the backstory that you need, they're pretty much separate games at this point.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider

People's memories get imprinted on their DNA, which gets passed on to their descendants.

Machine gets made that creates a VR simulation out of those genetic memories.

There's been a shadow war throughout history between two secret societies: the Assassins and the Templars. The VR simulations that show up in the games generally focus on that war, and the people experiencing the simulations are members of the modern day versions of those societies.

Humanity was created by Ancient Aliens. They're dead, but some of their technology has survived to modern day. That tech is frequently the focus of the conflicts between the Assassins and Templars.

There. You're sufficiently caught up to play the more recent games.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
There are a bunch of "side" games but I'm not sure its worth playing anything but the main games, eg AC1, AC2, etc

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
AC2 is definitely one of the high points of the early games. Ezio Auditore was legit one of the most relatable assassin style characters portrayed up until that point. Brotherhood was ok (not nearly as good) but 3 was a fucking mess. I hear 4 and all the pirating was pretty good, but 3 hardcore turned me off to the games. Odyssey worth picking up?

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
AC2 is definitely one of the high points of the early games. Ezio Auditore was legit one of the most relatable assassin style characters portrayed up until that point. Brotherhood was ok (not nearly as good) but 3 was a fucking mess. I hear 4 and all the pirating was pretty good, but 3 hardcore turned me off to the games. Odyssey worth picking up?
If 3 was you playing as Haytham the whole game doing missions for the Templar it would have been great.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I was way more on board with Haytham than bastard-native guy. Didn't get far enough to delve more than that; just seemed really subpar.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Odyssey is pretty cool. I'd say it;s worth picking up. I think I put over 100 hours in it. Finished the main story, but left a bunch of stuff unfinished.

I loved AC:2, didn't like 3, loved Black flag, hated Unity and the one with the British twins, and I think Odyssey sold me on the series again. If Valhalla is a viking version of Odyssey then I'm sure I'll have fun.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
3 was painfully bad. Sucks that they wasted the american revolution setting with such an awful character and story.

• 1Salty

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
My memory may be a bit faded but I feel like 2, in addition to being one of the best "assassin" games also laid out most of the main lore for the series. IIRC that's where you get the memories going back to adam and eve and what happened to the ancient aliens.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, they really told the whole story in the Ezio trilogy. Others have said it in the past, but they really should just drop the whole modern day thing for future games and let them be stand alone tales of Assassins and Templar without trying to tie them into the Desmond Miles story line. just pick cool times in history and set your character loose to murder historical figures.