(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They should just abandon all pretense and go full fantasy/mythology with these games now since they're completely ahistorical. Valhalla should have giants and rune magic and shit like that.

Embrace the RPG angle they've gone with, dump the assassin order and animus bullshit, and just rename the series to Warrior's Creed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
This is a disappointment so far, sound is all fucked up for me. So much so I just can't even get past the intro. Just lots of static crackling shit.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ran into a game-breaking bug almost immediately... I get to the memory-stream (m/f) selection and neither the mouse button nor the A button on my gamepad does anything. All I can do is alt-f4 and after restarting and sitting through the [unskippable, of course] cutscenes it just happens again. (Edit2: It's the "Hold Alternative" option in Interface... no idea what the 'alternative' is supposed to be, but it breaks normal input so leave it set to Off.)

Edit: YMMV on this one, but I got horrible tearing (and performance in general) in fullscreen mode even with Freesync. Borderless windowed mode is fine though.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ssoooo.... Ubi launcher blue screened my PC and it restarted in "diagnose" mode or wtf ever. That hasn't happened in about three years. Well played Ubisoft.

wtf is Windows Ink and why do I need this automatically enabled on my desktop? I'm taking more cold medicine and going back to bed. Jesus Christ.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
definitely giving up on this tonight, maybe tomorrow will bring a patch

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Turned down Volumetric, Shadows, and DoF and can average 60 fps on my 7700k and 980 TI according to benchmark at 1440p. Guess I'll take it.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ssoooo.... Ubi launcher blue screened my PC and it restarted in "diagnose" mode or wtf ever. That hasn't happened in about three years. Well played Ubisoft.

wtf is Windows Ink and why do I need this automatically enabled on my desktop? I'm taking more cold medicine and going back to bed. Jesus Christ.
I got blue screen the first time I started WD Legion also in my first Ubisoft launcher install. Only happened once though.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Got 4 hours in tonight. Had no issues what's so ever, which was nice. The game looks pretty damn good. So far it's been Odyssey w/ a 9th century Norway setting.

Looking forward to playing quite a bit tomorrow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Loaded the game up just now on lunch break and ran the benchmark. The FPS graph dipped to 1fps every now and then which caused a freeze stutter thing. Downloaded new drivers but cant test any further right now. Disapointing if its that bad when I get home. :(

Yeahs73

Trakanon Raider
Played for an hour this morning, runs great on my AMD stuff. As posted earlier its Odyssey with vikings and a different loot system, which I'm not sure I like. Even if 98% of all loot was scrapped in Odyssey at least it was dropping, upgrading items is now the name of the game.

• 1Rustled

spronk

FPS noob
yeah I think its the team from Origins that made this, which had a similar loot system. Both games did big revamps to their loot system post launch.

Really, unless you are jonesing for a game to play right now, which is kinda weird given how much shit is free on EGS, Amazon Prime, Game Pass, etc and Cyberpunk in exactly 30 days, I'd just wait 3 months at least to play this. Ubisoft games don't launch very well, and the season pass contents are VERY meaty and good for their SP games, but take ~9 months to fully deliver. If you've never played it, AC Odyssey or Origins is the better thing to start now.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played 2 hours before work on PS4 Pro with no issue.

It's not enough for me to pass judgement on new loot system, or skill system.

That said it's an AC game so I'm totally biased and enjoying myself already. : )

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
As someone who's never really played the AC games, what is a good starting point (in terms of quality). I'm guessing most are standalone stories?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the first 3 AC games are all connected pretty closely but after that they become self-contained stories, though the animus current day stories are all connected.

black flag is my favorite of the "old style" of AC. the story has like, little to nothing to do with anything else going on and the current day stuff is MOSTLY non-intrusive. there's some extra story to the world at large if you want to look around for it, otherwise they are like 5 minute snippets. also. the only thing better than being a pirate or a ninja, is being a ninja pirate.

i didn't play origins, but i think that's where they started to take a new direction in gameplay. i wasn't SUPER interested in playing odyssey, but i actually got a lot of hours sunk into it. the story is interesting but there's so much side quest type stuff that it's pretty easy to get distracted and then you lose the sense of intensity that the story wants you to feel.

so far i've enjoyed valhalla. played it all night and now i'm going to bed. i had one crash to desktop halfway through my first game of orlog or whatever it's called. but the game seemed to save it as a win, so when i turned it back on, i was standing in front of the guy and he was complaining about losing. /shrug

i don't know what to think about the loot system at the moment. on one hand, the odyssey system was nice and i was changing my weapons and armor out on a regular basis... on the other hand, you get so much crap in that game that sometimes you might change your gear 5 times in 10 minutes, but then just get TRASH for the next hour.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
i don't know what to think about the loot system at the moment. on one hand, the odyssey system was nice and i was changing my weapons and armor out on a regular basis... on the other hand, you get so much crap in that game that sometimes you might change your gear 5 times in 10 minutes, but then just get TRASH for the next hour.

I haven't played Valhalla enough to judge the new system, but I doubt it will bother me much. In Odyssey, once I obtained the poison armor set and weapons, I used that almost exclusively for the rest of the game.

I'm guessing it will be similar in this one, once I have a set I like I'll keep it till the end.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Sounds like everyone having these performance issues should join console master race :trollface:

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So it turns out it was my controller causing all the fuckery, I left it plugged in not thinking about it and voila works perfectly. Switch to bluetooth, everything goes to shit again, WTF

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Running an old ass i7-2600k, 1070TI, 8GB ram (lol i know), with a DS4 controller PLUGGED IN ---- game is running great on "High" at 1080p. There is some amount of screen tear when climbing rock walls, but nothing crazy.

Aazrael

Played for 2 hours on Ultra and it sits at 60+ frames and sometimes 75+. Leagues better than WD Legion performance. I like it but not very far in as of yet.