2020 GOTY

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I really hate JRPG games, the humor and relationships, characters and voice overs, even the menus and UI and stuff. Most of the time it's just weeb shit I hate, but I don't even like games like Dark Souls just because of the menus and.....uh.....vacant(?).... feel of the game. If that makes sense. But I like open world games like Fallout4 and Skyrim, especially if there's a building component to it.

All that being said, is it worth it to pick up Ghosts of T? I don't think I knew it was open world until this thread. Anyone else here despise JRPG games but like Ghosts?

Yeah there's nothing JPRG (which I hate) about Ghost. It's basically just another GoW/Zero Dawn/Witcher style game with map, inventory, cut-scenes, etc. Nothing Japanese about it besides the setting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It'll probably be an unpopular position, but I didn't like Ghost as much as say GoW or Horizon Zero Dawn. They are all basically the same type of game, but it's hard to get as excited about Ghost's storyline as say Zero Dawn, and it can't match GoW for pure fluid visceral combat. Also, you can only take in so much majestic cherry blossom scenery before it starts looking repetitive. Still a great game, but in the 3D/inventory/map genre it's not as good as the aforementioned games.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
It'll probably be an unpopular position, but I didn't like Ghost as much as say GoW or Horizon Zero Dawn. They are all basically the same type of game, but it's hard to get as excited about Ghost's storyline as say Zero Dawn, and it can't match GoW for pure fluid visceral combat. Also, you can only take in so much majestic cherry blossom scenery before it starts looking repetitive. Still a great game, but in the 3D/inventory/map genre it's not as good as the aforementioned games.

I don't think anyone would disagree but they didn't come out in 2020.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Not sure what you mean I may only be like 15 hours deep but I've only finished the crawl like a dozen times. I routinely die to the last boss Seraph due to not paying attention or failing at building out well enough to have sufficient damage output to do it.

Well you're admitting you're not min/maxing your runs, but you're also getting to the last boss so that's something. =P

If we take slay the spire for instance you start out with actual crap and to make it to the end requires a lot of luck/rng until you start unlocking things which are typically items/cards that are powerful and have the potential to carry you to the end.

This game is just wins off the bat because so many starting items/cards are powerful and you have the ability to consistently deck prune so it feels like the balance could be bad or fairly meaningless later on.

I started doing some runs as umbra and it's fairly similar win rates.

Like where is the power curve or sense of growth typical in a rogue like? If it's just win/win/win/win until you unlock a bunch of shit and then add modifiers to make it harder it's not a good carrot for me personally as I don't feel like I'm actually improving throughout.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
youre comparing GoT to the ps4's GOTY for 2017/2018

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
youre comparing GoT to the ps4's GOTY for 2017/2018

I wasn't actually throwing up the other titles as contender's for a year they weren't even released in. I was simply millimeter sized derailing the thread to state that I found the other games better.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I wasn't actually throwing up the other titles as contender's for a year they weren't even released in. I was simply millimeter sized derailing the thread to state that I found the other games better.
....and answering my question. Thanks FW

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
read somewhere yesterday that Hades is maybe headed to Gamepass if you haven't grabbed it yet

• 1Mother of God

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well you're admitting you're not min/maxing your runs, but you're also getting to the last boss so that's something. =P

If we take slay the spire for instance you start out with actual crap and to make it to the end requires a lot of luck/rng until you start unlocking things which are typically items/cards that are powerful and have the potential to carry you to the end.

This game is just wins off the bat because so many starting items/cards are powerful and you have the ability to consistently deck prune so it feels like the balance could be bad or fairly meaningless later on.

I started doing some runs as umbra and it's fairly similar win rates.

Like where is the power curve or sense of growth typical in a rogue like? If it's just win/win/win/win until you unlock a bunch of shit and then add modifiers to make it harder it's not a good carrot for me personally as I don't feel like I'm actually improving throughout.
There really isn’t growth beyond unlocking cards. It has the Roguelite tag but I personally wouldn’t label it that because it doesn’t feel like one at all to me. I guess cause you’re playing through the sameish levels over and over and unlocking cards is why it has that tag?

The challenge is in unlocking and completing the covenant levels or playing the speed games versus people. Try the daily challenges maybe, that changes up the gameplay a bit with the modifiers and racing people.

Me personally, I enjoy finding new synergies and stuff I hadn’t thought of or didn’t get the right cards for in a previous run. Trying to win with various combos. I’m stoked for the new race and hope they just keep adding more. Each one adds a lot of synergy/replay for me.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I feel you. It was fun for a few days but the carrot isn't good enough for me. Gamepass just added some game called Neoverse that is highly rated on steam and is a deck builder. Going to try that next.