2020 GOTY

Delly

Trakanon Raider
1. Cyberpunk 2077 - not what was promised but still a great experience.
2. Yakuza 7 - fuck y'all losers for not even mentioning this. A total genre change with a new set of main characters but in the same world and they aced it. I almost wanted this as my GOTY.
3. Hades - solid all around and could have also been my GOTY but I've been playing it forever in early access and that killed some of its momentum for me.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
1. Cyberpunk 2077 - not what was promised but still a great experience.
2. Yakuza 7 - fuck y'all losers for not even mentioning this. A total genre change with a new set of main characters but in the same world and they aced it. I almost wanted this as my GOTY.
3. Hades - solid all around and could have also been my GOTY but I've been playing it forever in early access and that killed some of its momentum for me.

Hey now, Vorph Vorph mentioned Yakuza 7 early on! My excuse is I just haven’t booted it up yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never heard of Hades but I bought it today based on all the praise in this thread.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
May have to trust y’all and try this Monster Train game out. Thought it was like $30 but I guess $17 isn’t bad. The genre isn’t one that appeals to me at all after trying out a couple of others. Not sure it was Slay the Spire or something way earlier than that. Kind of in a couch / PS4 mode at the moment. Wish it was out on there (no Xbox).
I started it today and couldn’t put it down. Played off and on all day. It’s really good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
After playing hades for awhile, it is a fun game but a far cry from anything I’d consider a game of the year

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Noticed a bunch of new players getting those rank ups. We could do some races and such if enough on at the same time.
I haven’t unlocked everything yet and still learning synergies but I’m down. Have only done normal solo play so far.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
the game is addicting but I am terrible at it, the double bosses with minos are tearing me up every time. I can click into the skills menu on the left and you are able to select individual skill diamonds with a little icon - what is that for?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
the game is addicting but I am terrible at it, the double bosses with minos are tearing me up every time. I can click into the skills menu on the left and you are able to select individual skill diamonds with a little icon - what is that for?
When you upgrade spells and units that’s where the skill goes. You can get two skill ups per card and there are some events that bump it up to three.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Tried out Monster Train due to thread last night. It feels very easy/less beholden to RNG compared to other games in the genre. Some artifacts are just so busted and common and you get so many attempts at pruning your deck/upgrading cards during a run that it feels like you need to actively go out of your way to lose once you recognize it which makes it hard to want to progress/unlock other stuff if the balance is that bad early on. I think I stopped at L8 hellhorned/L6 awoken with all wins except 1 run. That said it's neat otherwise.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tried out Monster Train due to thread last night. It feels very easy/less beholden to RNG compared to other games in the genre. Some artifacts are just so busted and common and you get so many attempts at pruning your deck/upgrading cards during a run that it feels like you need to actively go out of your way to lose once you recognize it which makes it hard to want to progress/unlock other stuff if the balance is that bad early on. I think I stopped at L8 hellhorned/L6 awoken with all wins except 1 run. That said it's neat otherwise.
lol the game doesn't even really start until you start grinding up covenant levels. Right now all you're doing is unlocking all your clan cards.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
That may be the case, but there is no real power curve/learning curve off the bat which is weird for a rogue like game. You can instantly start off wrecking the entirety of the crawl.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hellhorned and Sentient are very straightforward to play for the most part, and yes the base game with no covenant levels is pretty easy. Melting Remnant, Umbra, and Stygian Guard require a bit more thought.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That may be the case, but there is no real power curve/learning curve off the bat which is weird for a rogue like game. You can instantly start off wrecking the entirety of the crawl.
Not sure what you mean I may only be like 15 hours deep but I've only finished the crawl like a dozen times. I routinely die to the last boss Seraph due to not paying attention or failing at building out well enough to have sufficient damage output to do it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure what you mean I may only be like 15 hours deep but I've only finished the crawl like a dozen times. I routinely die to the last boss Seraph due to not paying attention or failing at building out well enough to have sufficient damage output to do it.
Now imagine beating her when she does 2x damage and has 4x hitpoints kek

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Now imagine beating her when she does 2x damage and has 4x hitpoints kek
My most recent failure as the wax guys boned me because Seraph rallied whenever I put units on the train. Fucking me over hard at replacing burned out waxers I was buffing.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I really hate JRPG games, the humor and relationships, characters and voice overs, even the menus and UI and stuff. Most of the time it's just weeb shit I hate, but I don't even like games like Dark Souls just because of the menus and.....uh.....vacant(?).... feel of the game. If that makes sense. But I like open world games like Fallout4 and Skyrim, especially if there's a building component to it.

All that being said, is it worth it to pick up Ghosts of T? I don't think I knew it was open world until this thread. Anyone else here despise JRPG games but like Ghosts?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really hate JRPG games, the humor and relationships, characters and voice overs, even the menus and UI and stuff. Most of the time it's just weeb shit I hate, but I don't even like games like Dark Souls just because of the menus and.....uh.....vacant(?).... feel of the game. If that makes sense. But I like open world games like Fallout4 and Skyrim, especially if there's a building component to it.

All that being said, is it worth it to pick up Ghosts of T? I don't think I knew it was open world until this thread. Anyone else here despise JRPG games but like Ghosts?
Sucker Punch made Ghosts of Tsushima. I believe it is an American studio that has nothing in common with JRPG studios.

I'm in the same boat as you though. Japanese and JRPG games are super cringe to me. I hate most of them. I think Ghosts of Tsushima is just a game based in 13th Century Japan.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users